“Not Haute But Terrific”

Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Philadelphia
Reviewed July 13, 2017

Party of four persnickity old coots who, from start to finish, loved the place. The place is very small but the tables were well arranged so you did not feel that you were sitting in another party's lap. Noise level was such that we could carry on a conversation without shouting. Service was top notch from beginning to end. Early on, one of our party knocked over a glass and bottle of red wine but the mess was removed quickly and efficiently. The bread was warm, crusty, and had flavor. An eggplant appetizer was more than shareable as was a first of grilled squid which did not resemble rubber brands. Caprese salad was tasty. Darned if I remember what my dinner mates chose as mains but my papardelle with a duck ragu was both unusual, delicious, and huge (dinner tonight at home). Prices are quite modest with most entrees hovering in the high teens to low twenties. Veal chop special was quoted at $35. when asked which is why I never order a special at an Italian restaurant without a price check. An altogether positive experience; I will certainly visit again. P.S. BYOB.

Reviewed May 24, 2017 via mobile

We were visiting clients in the navy shipyard and had a window during lunch without meetings. There is very little eating options in the shipyard, so we used TA to find a local restaurant close by.

This restaurant had strong reviews so we decided to try it. Parking was a challenge on very narrow streets but eventually found a legal parking spot on the street a few blocks away.

It's not a large place but had a very Italian atmosphere with half the patrons speaking Italian. We started with the calamari which was not fried as usual but cooked without the fried coating. I love calamari prepared this way and it was delicious, one of the best I've had. I opted for the Cesar's salad with shrimp which was very good. My colleague had a pasta dish and he raved about it.

I recommend L'Angolo but allow extra time for parking.

Reviewed May 23, 2017

L'angolo is absolutely delicious, fresh and original products, like/better then in Italy!! I was invited by local friends, so I went, very curious to understand if their comments were right... I tried several dishes (calamari, carciofi, pasta marinara...) and my colleagues different one, but everything was 'real italian' with italian flavour (nothing more then what is expected to be in the original recipe). I will go back anytime I can! :-)

Reviewed May 14, 2017

Just when you think the dishes in L'Angolo couldn't get any more delicious.....they somehow make it happen. This place is absolutely amazing. The grilled calamari is the best in the entire world. And I have searched all over Italy for a calamari as good as L'Angolo. It is still the best right here in Philly! The smoked mozz appetizer was the best and so glad we tried it. Entrees for the table included the wild boar ragu. Dont let the name of this dish scare you away! The complex flavors are amazing. Ricotta gnocchi with shrimp.....everyone passed around until it was gone, you just cant get enough. Prime Rib special....no one has ever has a prime rib with the grilled on the outside and melt in your mouth. Yellowfin Tuna special was a must for the seafood lover!
MUST TRY!!!!!

Reviewed April 26, 2017

Everything from appetizers to dessert (and the complimentary house-made limoncello) is superb and fresh. The service is friendly and efficient. Despite the fact that customers are packed in like sardines, the atmosphere is really pleasant. Somehow, it isn't too noisy.

When compared to the really great restaurants, L'Angolo may not deserve a full 5 stars, but it does deserve something above 4. Too often something goes wrong, even if slightly, in any restaurant. That's not likely to be the case here.

We've tried many Italian restaurants all over Philly. For the food, nothing is really better and it's reasonably priced. Being a BYOB makes the cost even lower. It's a great value.