“A Philadelphia Gem!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Reviewed November 13, 2016

This is the second time we have visited Kabul and we agreed we can no longer keep it a secret! Kabul is an Afghani restaurant located on Chestnut Street among a mix of restaurants--both ethnic and trendy. At once when you enter, you are welcomed by one of the family members who own and manage the restaurant. It's a warm cozy atmosphere nicely decorated with pictures and various hangings from Afghanistan. Their are small tables great for a romantic dinner for two, as well as tables for larger parties. The ambiance is intimate; one can have a quiet conversation yet enjoy the laughter of other parties. The menu is enormous with SO many options--from amazing appetizers to kebabs, chicken, beef and lamb dishes, to vegetarian options and many kinds of rice. EVERYTHING is delicious! Though we had scraped every last morsel from our plates, we ordered the vanilla pudding and rosewater ice cream. Both were outstanding. (My husband, who is not a rosewater ice cream sort of guy, loved it!). Be sure to greet Wali, the incredible guy who owns, manages, cooks, and serves. We tried to talk him into moving to California but he seems committed to staying right on Chestnut Street. Which means we'll have to travel back for another incredible meal! Our goal is to get the table in the front window so we can people-watch. :-) One note: This establishment does not serve alcohol but does allow patrons to BYOB.

Reviewed September 26, 2016 via mobile

Very odd starter of pungent coriander sauce over potato. My partner's samosa type starter was fine. Then a salad with too much sauce on it. Fesenjan Chicken (type) okay but too much rice. Price a bit steep for two starters, two mains (entrees) and one coke

Reviewed September 17, 2016 via mobile

Great food well prepared. Very friendly staff. Romantic setting. Can't go wrong. Great menu. Nice decor. Convenient location.

Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

First time we had Afghan food and it was really good. I am a vegetarian, so we both opted for dishes with rice and veggies. Unfortunately I don't remember the names, but one had lentils and one pumpkin and they both were delicious. The pumpkin was tender and tasty. Also the desserts were very good, a milk pudding with pistachios and a pastry-layered dessert with walnuts. Last but not least, the owner was very friendly. I would definitely go back and recommend it to people.

Reviewed July 25, 2016

We stopped at this restaurant because it was near our hotel and we enjoy Afghan food. I had the Kabuli Chalaw which I enjoyed. My husband order the Kabab-e-Gossfant which was skewered lamb with vegetables and he was extremely disappointed. The lamb was terribly overcooked and dry and when he complained the waiter said, well if you wanted it cooked differently you should have told me when you gave me the order. He never asked my husband how he wanted it cooked and we had never before experienced meat being served that overcooked. On top of that there were very few vegetables with his order.
I had quite a bit of food left on my plate but the waiter never asked if I wanted to pack it up to go, and by that time we were pretty disappointed and ready to just leave.
So, bottom line, be advised that when you order meat it is up to you to give them one of three choices of how you would like it cooked. They are not going to ask you. I guess this restaurant is best for returning customers.