“Average Crown Plaza - some issues...”

Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
Ranked #64 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Parsonsfield
“Average Crown Plaza - some issues...”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed here for President's Day weekend for 2 nights. Had booked with points on Priority Club Website as I am a Platinum member. I called ahead to confirm my reservation - a King Executive floor room. When I arrived to check in, I was given a room on the 6th floor with 2 double beds. Went down to the front desk to change rooms and they gave me a King down the hall from the original room. After we had unpacked I decided to check out the Executive lounge which was supposed to be on the floor I was on. Much to my surprise, I discovered I was not on the Executive floor at all. Back down to the front desk and was offered to move AGAIN!!!. I refused as we had already settled into the room we were already in.Between the first room and the second room, the key machine stopped working, so they had to escort people to their rooms and let them in only to have to stop at the desk later or the next day for keys. After returning from dinner, I stopped by the front desk to retrieve my keycard and went upi to my room to bed. When trying to unlock my door the key did not work. Back down to the front desk AGAIN !!! They re did the keys and they finally worked.
I do understand that things happen that are beyond the control of the management, but with the exception of one person at the front desk named Valerie, everyone else was very unapologetic and uncaring about these issues. I also had mentioned in the morning that my bathroom sink stopper was not oprable and could someone take a look at it. That evening when we returned form a complete day of sightseeing, it still was never addressed. I brought it to the attention of Valerie at the front desk, who offered to send someone up right away. Thank you Valerie.
Overall, the hotel is nice, clean and updated. The rooms are comfortable and beds cozy. The location is only about a 10-15 min drive into center city and there are alot of dining options within walking distance of the hotel. I don't know that I would stay here again because of the issues that I experienced, but it is an ok place with free parking.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank robertwcook
IHGCare, ihgcare at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Robertwcook,

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Greek first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This hotel was a great value, and included parking, wireless internet, and even a breakfast buffet with our package. The rooms were really clean, but nothing special. The only thing I will say is that the sheets and mattresses were much higher quality than I was expecting, and the shower had great hot water pressure. This was a really convenient place for us to set up camp while we visited friends, and didn't dent our wallet too much.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AmyAdventure
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2012

First of all, the hotel itself: rooms, facilities, staff, etc, are fine. Have stayed here twice. Unfortunately, perhaps because of the location, or the groups they book, they attract an ethnic and LOUD clientele. Lots of socializing, yelling, and door slamming in the halls, ALL night long.
Won't be back, prefer to sleep at night.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mralarm911

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 February 2012

The only thing that made me happy about my stay at the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West was that I only had to stay one night. When I entered the room I noticed a musty smell, and upon further inspection I noticed stains on the wallpaper—being in a corner room, I presume the smell was mold stemming from a leak in the building. The fixtures in the bathroom were rusty. The carpeting in the room was coming up where it met the walls. I also noticed hairs on the (supposedly clean) threadbare linens—hairs that were not mine! When I did lie down to sleep, the pillows were lumpy and uncomfortable. Then, when I did fall asleep, I was continually awakened by a clicking coming from the heating unit (not just the sound of the unit working). The hotel provided no survey to rate my stay upon checkout, and it's no wonder.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Lara H
CPCA4100, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Lara H,

My sincere apologies in regards to the concerns you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that your comments are taken seriously. Along with the Director of Housekeeping & Engineering we will correct these issues and use your feedback as a training tool for our staff to ensure this does not happen in the future.

We look forward to correcting these issues for you on your next trip to Philadelphia

Landover, Maryland
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Recently stayed at the Philadelphia West Crowne Plaza and wish I could have that one night of my life back. First, I checked into my room, went to put my Snapple in the fridge and what do you know...old food from a previous guest. Grossed out is an understatement. Then the power outlet in the bathroom wouldn't work. However they eventually came up to fix this issue. I almost wish the power never worked because I pull out my professional Andis clippers to tighten myself up for the night and end up leaving them behind when I checked out. I call the hotel not even 2 hours after I leave to let them know I left behind two pair of professorial Andis hair clippers and they tell me they will look into it and call me back. Long story short they call me back and say they do not have my clippers. Funny how this hotel will allow staff to steal from guests and not even look into it. A hotel staff member (most likely housekeeping) stole $150 worth of equipment from me and the general manager Russel P. didn't do anything to help the guest recover their stolen items. If I stay the night at someone's house and leave behind valuables, i can almost be sure that I can call them and come get my stuff later. Not at the Crowne Plaza City Ave. Thieves to say the least....

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank shawn n
Thank you for your comments, we truly understand your feelings and apologize that we weren't able to resolve this issue to your satisfaction after the completion of our formal investigation.

The Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West prides itself on providing a secure and safe environment for our guests and takes an aggressive stance against crime. The hotel has fully investigated the matter and will continue to vigorously employ proactive security measures throughout the hotel for the benefit of all guests.

Maryland
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is a standard 3.25 star hotel with an indoor pool, gym and restaurant on site. The rooms are average with full beds no microwaves or refrigerators. The bathroom does need be to upgrade. Parking in the front of the building is a challenge (especially at night) because there is a Friday's that shares the parking lot. The front desk staff was very professional.

The bonus about this hotel is that Target, Chipotle, Potbelly, Pei Wei, Friday’s, and a few other stores, banks, and eateries are within walking distance. This hotel is about 10-15minutes from downtown Philadelphia.

Overall, I received a great value for my stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
East Aurora
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This hotel is very clean.The service was very good from check in to check out.It also has a nice pool area and work out center.The room was a king size bed with flat screen tv. Room was a nice and clean.We only stayed one night and would stay again if we go back to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: We got a king size bed room on priceline for $70 a night.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business