“No problems here” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“No problems here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We went to Gettysburg for the 148th anniversary. We only stayed at the Colton for one night, our last night because the hotel we had the first two was booked on the last night of our stay.
The man at the front desk was very nice, I even checked in a little early. The whole room was clean, no stains, no bugs. I do agree that you may want to take your own pillow, theirs are very small. There are not hair dryers in the room, all you do is go the office and ask for one. I assume that it is the same for the irons and ironing board.
There is coffee available in the office all day, and in the morning there was also pastries. The room was very large, and we also did have a remote for the TV. The air conditioner worked great, I think even better than the first hotel we stayed at, which was a national chain. We had no complaints.

Now, that being said, take it for what it is worth, we stayed in room 20. My son took a shot of the bed area with a disposable camera, I did not get it developed until the day after we got home. I did not sleep very much at all that night. It started with what sounded like gunshots in the room. A LOT of gunshots. Then some deeper, like a cannon. This lasted for about 5 minutes. I drifted back to sleep, and was awoken some time later for a repeat of this. There were all kinds of noises in the room ALL night long. I also had the unmistakable feeling of some sort of presence. My son and his friend slept through the night, I laid awake with my eyes closed pretty much the whole time. His friend got up to go to the bathroom around 5 and I immediately told him to please turn on a light.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank momof2boyz2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

I am all about cheap and basic, so this hotel was a-okay with me. We stayed in room 14 for 2 nights in June. The BEST thing about this hotel is the location. It is within walking distance from (almost) all the major sites in Gettysburg. There is plenty of museums, shops and restaurants around the area. It is in a very safe area. The place is old, but so what? The room overall was pretty clean, the bathroom was clean. The matress was a little hard, but no big deal. The only thing I didn't like is there is no vent in the bathroom for when you are taking a shower; so I just ended up leaving the door open so I could let some air in. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay in a good location in Gettysburg and don't mind the fact that it is old, then I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy R
Pomeroy, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

I honestly don't know how this hotel has any good reviews! I'm not a complainer, I can find good in most any situation...............EXCEPT this hotel. We stayed here on one of our trips to Gettysburg........to make a long story short, we checked out after the first night and went elsewhere.
I thought we had made a good choice based upon reviews we read and the fact that it was AAA approved......wow were we wrong.
It basically ruined my trip, we got there and the front desk staff were very pleasant I must say. A little rough looking, but pleasant.
Our room was down right filthy, can't say it any nicer. Bed spread was stained, feet stuck to the carpet, we turned the AC on and debris and bugs flew out everywhere. Bathroom window was broken. My husband and I went to walmart and bought our own sheets and tried to sleep the first night, but I was just so uncomfortable with the crowd that was hanging around the place that I couldn't sleep.
The place is way over priced. There are very nice hotels right up the road for less, do yourself a favor and don't waist your time here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Loucivilwarnut

Travellers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Colton. My room was very clean and staff ( Christal and Trey) were outstanding. They were very concerned that my stay was a wonderful, and relaxing experience. Christal was very knowledgable about the activities and resturants in Gettysburg area. I can not wait to return to Gettysburg Ith my family and I will surely stay at the Colton.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

I can't say enough about how unpleasant this establishment is. This motel is awful. I would never want to represent, work, or even been seen at this place again. This place is a total dump. I don't understand how places like these still exist. I'm here on business and the company got a real good deal on the roach motel. That doesn't say much about the company I work for. I got stuck with the drunk construction guys next door and some visiting tourist from England. Lets just say there were some interesting conversations.From what I watched and gathered. This motel allows extended stays. I'm not talking four or five days. I'm talking about four or five months! So, if your looking for a cheap stay look no further. The Colton has it all. Cheap beds, t'.v. with no remote. No iron, no ironing board, Carpet that looks like it hasn't been scrubbed in ages. Walls and a shower tub I wouldn't even begin to think about touching or using. If your looking to get more bang for your depreciating dollar this is your place. Enjoy your stay they say as you walk out of their office and they are laughing because they got you!

Room Tip: spend the extra money for a better room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Outdoorphotoman
St. Marys, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

Stayed here Remembrance Day weekend for $149. per night. Only reason to pay this much is because of the location. Much better choices for less money around the town. In fact the manager tried to raise the price while I was settling the bill, apparently it is going to be higher next year. Old, old rooms need severe upgrading, didn't see any bugs but we did check for them.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank David W
State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

This is a great hotel within walking distance of many sights in Gettysburg. It was very clean and affordable. It is not as modern or updated as a chain hotel but for the price we have no complaints. The staff, especially Cheryl, were very polite and helpful. We would go back again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple