All reviewsother guestseternal flamejefferson roomauto tour cdcivil war buffprivate bathroomdietary restrictionsbreakfast was amazingwonderful hostsfrench toasta wonderful staygettysburg areachristinecooperbattlehistorylaptop
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights at Doubleday Inn which is a very comfortable, clean B & B right on the Battlefield! There was a talk by an historian which was very informative and we found the whole experience quite amazing and moving! Todd & Christine are very helpful hosts and Gettysburg itself is a lovely little town. This is a great location to then maybe go to the Amish areas of Pennsylvania, which we did!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed at the Doubleday for the second time and enjoyed it once again. Our room - Iverson - was spacious with windows overlooking the battlefield in three directions. The inn is on the battlefield and is perfect for long walks. It is a short drive to downtown and restaurants, museums, etc. We prefer to stay here rather than intown. Christine, Todd and Molly (the golden retriever) are wonderful, unobtrusive hosts.
We stayed for a Ghost Tour Weekend. It was fun, but unless you're a "ghost groupie," I'd suggest you skip the special weekend (ghost tour at the Cashtown Inn on Friday was too long) and just go and stay at the lovely Doubleday Inn.

Room Tip: Check about room sizes since some can be small. I recommend the Iverson for great views and a spacious room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I decided to write this review after reading several of the ones that you might see below. And it brought back some memories for me. I visit Gettysburg often and stay at many of the Bed and Breakfast in and around Gettysburg. The Doubleday is one of my favorite, and my experience there on New Years eve a few years ago was my most memorable of my life. (and I'm getting pretty old). Todd and Christine are two of the most wonderful sweet folks you could ever meet, and they were going out for the evening to celebrate the New Years, but Todd placed wood in the fireplace and let us know it was okay to light the fireplace if we wanted. The living room is so beautiful and it was so nice to sit by the fire and enjoy a bottle of wine to bring in the New Year that we just decided to stay in and enjoy the beautiful view of the serene town of Gettysburg out the back window. The local fireworks at midnight were perfectly seen from the back of the house. Some of the other guest were also planning to go out for the night but we were having such a nice time we all stayed in together. The following morning the sun came up and we were treated to a blanket of whitesnow on the Battlefield, absolutely breath taking scene the first time you see it. Then we heard the whistle of the train that travels the tracks just below the back yard of the Doubleday. It was like a Currier and Ives moment and one I will always remember. Gettysburg is a special place. Given the history of the battle you would not think that you would feel so warm and at peace with the world while visiting here. During my visit to the Doublday Inn I decided I wanted to live in Gettysburg some day and would love to own a special Bed and Breakfast. I'm sure its hard work and dealing with people with different wants and needs is not easy I know. If you are looking for a warm and cozy experience you will not find a better place to stay than the Doubleday. The Breakfast each morning is THE BEST you will find at any B and B in Gettysburg. The location is fantastic for anything you will want to do while visiting. Well my dream hasn't come true yet but someday I hope it will. Until then I will dream about special times and experiences I've had in the past. Thanks to the Doubleday Inn for one of those moments. Don't miss this opportunity for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BILL

Room Tip: I loved the Iverson, had a great view of the battlefield and the town of Gettysburg. Gettysburg College is just over the hill.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank wsf423
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We three couples just completed a weekend at the Doubleday. Todd, Christine and Molly could not have made us feel more at home. Todd and Christine were very helpful in getting us dinner reservations and directions to wherever we wanted to visit, or their recommendations. Our room was the Iverson room. It was spacious with a very large bath. The room was spotless! The Inn had a full house that weekend and we enjoyed talking in their very warm, comfortable, living room and dining room with all the guests. Having the historian on Saturday night, to answer all our questions of the battle, before a lovely fire in the fireplace, was an added treat. The setting could not be better, peaceful and beautiful. The breakfasts were filling and delicious! If another trip to Gettysburg is planned, no question, we would book The Doubleday Inn. It was a "perfect" experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Iverson room. It was large, bright, looked out over the Battlefield and bath was very large.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed in the Ramseur room. I should have looked more carefully at the pictures online. The room is ridiculously small. So small that I couldn't even open my suitcase all the way when it was on the luggage rack positioned between the bed and the wall. I didn't like it that you cannot lock your room from the inside. We felt like we couldn't safely leave our cameras or money in our room when we stepped out.

Cleanliness is of the utmost importance to me, and unfortunately, this room didn't make the grade. There were dried up crushed leaves on the rug in the bathroom, which shows me they don't vacuum between guests. When I pulled the curtain back on the shower there was a lot of mold growing on the liner and pink bacteria (serratia marcescens) ran along the entire length of the bottom of it. Mold/mildew happens. I get that. But it didn't get this bad overnight. There really is no excuse for the condition it was in. They sell curtain liners at the dollar store. They need to buy one. It was so gross I elected not to shower at the inn and instead wait until we got home later that night. Thank goodness we had only booked one night so that I was able to do that.

The bathroom door had so many coats of paint on it that you had to force it open and closed, thus making very loud scraping sounds each time. There is no way to do this without waking your travel companion up if you have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, so I hope you are close enough with them to go with the door left slightly ajar.

The bed (while comfortable) is so high that it is impossible to simply sit on. I couldn't even comfortably climb up into it. I had to kind of push off with my hands and jump up into it. I'm young and in good shape. I can't imagine anyone who is older comfortably getting into it without a stepstool.

Our room was *freezing*. The AC vent for the room is in the ceiling right over the bed. It ran the entire night and there was no way for us to turn it off or even close the vent, so I had to get a sweatshirt from my car and sleep in layered over my pajamas.

Breakfast left a lot to be desired. The muffin was hard to the touch and very dry inside. The egg casserole dish was average.

The house itself is very nice and tastefully decorated. The surrounding grounds are nice and there are a few tables and chairs scattered around out back for you to sit on. I found it very odd however, that the nicest area was closed to guests. There is a back patio area located directly behind the house on the center of the property that had the only table with an umbrella. It was chained off with a sign that said employees only. I could understand if it were tucked away to the side of the property or something, but to have it centrally located and reserved for staff only was just weird. All the cushions had been pulled off the furniture, so maybe they were doing some cleaning and only had it closed temporarily. At any rate, it was off limits both days we were there.

The location is very nice. But as another reviewer pointed out, there are several B&B's located right in town, where many squirmishes took place, as evident to the numerous bullet holes on the sides of the buildings. So I don't believe it's accurate when they claim to be the *only* place right on the battlefield. There are also B&B's of historic significance located just along the edge of the battlefield, playing important roles during the war, serving as field hospitals. The Doubleday wasn't even built until 1939.

On a plus side, the innkeepers are both very nice. However, considering the price and it's many shortcomings, I can not recommend. It's overpriced for what you get IMO. We paid less money to stay at the Baladerry on the same trip, and had a *far* better experience there!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple