“Peace and Serenity on a Bloody Battlefield”
Review of The Doubleday Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Doubleday Inn
Ranked #12 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I recently stayed at the Doubleday Inn while on a business trip in the area. The peacefulness of this B&B located within the national park (the only one that is) is unbelievable. Views of monuments and historic landscapes abound from all windows. The rooms are comfortable and cozy - I stayed in the Cutler room which included a rocker and ottoman for curling up with a good book. Afternoon snacks and breakfasts were bountiful, and Christine and Todd were most helpful with directions and dining recommendations. Molly is a wonderful greeter! I look forward to returning with my husband for a restful getaway in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Lauren D

Reviewed 11 December 2009

Read the fine print, no TV or refrigerator in your room and steps to get to every bedroom. There are other B&B's on the battlefield they are not the only one. Some may be in or near town but they are still considered the battlefield. Location a little to quiet for my liking,kinda like a library. I like a little excitment after all it was a vacation.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank casn
Reviewed 11 December 2009

I stayed in the Colonel Devin Room – bright morning sun and battlefield views, huge private bathroom. Amiable hosts, great breakfasts and no better location than Double Day Inn.

It is the ONLY B&B right on the battlefield. It is quiet and peaceful (amazing to use that word in that setting - but it is peaceful now) and I recommend this inn for those who want to sit outside and ponder this history changing place from long ago.

You can early morning walk or bike along the battlefield on both sides of this B&B (first day battle). The innkeepers are more than happy to store your bikes when required. They are very helpful and can provide some insight to the area you won’t find in the travel brochures! I would be happy to visit this inn in the future!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank BedandBreakfastLover
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Peace, quiet, serenity and battlefield monuments right across the street...what more could a Civil War buff want? To top it all off, the Doubleday Inn is nicely furnished, supplies a very tasty breakfast, and has a wonderful greeter (Molly, their golden retriever). The Inn Keepers (Christine and Todd) were warm and helpful both via e-mail and in person. They helped us arrange Segway Tours of the Battlefield and gave us great advice on things to do around the area. We had 2 charming rooms during our stay (O'Neil and Paul). While we didn't have any ghostly encounters in the Paul room, visitors should be warned that navigating the staircase down to the large bathroom can be tricky. The Inn also supplies free internet access and a computer/printer to print out boarding passes if necessary. A great bonus: the Inn has a Historian on Wednesday nights who talks about and answers questions about this epic battlefield. That experience alone made our selection of the Inn worthwhile!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Woostein
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Stayed there Oct. 2008 for the first time and forgot to post my review; going back later this year so decided to catch up! Located right on the battlefield, quiet and peaceful, beautiful grounds, excellent hosts and we loved their dog Molly. Breakfasts were ample and delicious - the baked honey crisp apple recipe was to die for. Our hosts arranged a private tour with a Licensed guide and they also had a historian visit one evening; he spoke for a couple of hours - so informative and gave us opportunity to ask questions. We enjoyed sitting in the living room in the evenings visiting and reading - very homey and inviting. Our room was small but immaculate with a huge private bath - no tv - that was a good thing and we knew about that in advance - bring your laptop or other media if tv is important to you. My only suggestion would be to have locks on room doors so when you leave you can lock stuff up (locks from inside when you are in room, but not when you leave) - but there were no problems as guests respected closed doors. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pandg71
Reviewed 2 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Doubleday and had a wonderful time. The room (O'Neill) was meticulous, but a tad small. My husbands feet were hanging off the bed (he is 6ft) and the shower was way tight for both of us. For the price, I am not complaining, just maybe they should mention that this room is tiny on their website. The Inn keepers Christine & Todd are extremely helpful. Upon arrival, we got a car tour CD to go through the battlefield with. This was really a great way to get a grasp of the history at each location. They had a historian do Q&A's on Sat night, and I believe he is there twice a week. To top it off, they had a wonderful breakfast with every detail covered (delicious food & candlelight). They also had the cutest golden retriever Molly. The location is stellar and the innkeepers were very sweet and accommodating. If we ever get back to Gettysburg, we will hands down stay here.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kellyjojo
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Doubleday Inn would be my first choice to stay in Gettysburg, right on the battlefield and away from the noise, hustle & bustle of town. It was rainy while we were there and it gave the fields an erie glow. The innkeepers were friendly and helpful but not obtrusive. We stayed in the Colonel Devin room and it looks exactly like the picture on their website. The bathroom is huge. My only criticism is that the bottom of the very comfortable bed came close to the windows. The room was plenty wide and very comfortable otherwise. My partner did say that he could hear the person in the next room snoring but I did not....maybe because I was snoring too. Breakfast was lovely and they graciously accommodate a food allergy of mine. Would have enjoyed more fresh fruit though. I wish we could have stayed a few more days and enjoyed the deck when it was not rainy. I don't think you would be disappointed if you stayed here. In fact, we hope to return next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple