“Great Place to Stay”

1863 Inn of Gettysburg
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I am a frequent visitor of this hotel. Its clean, has a great staff, nice free breakfast and is in a great location. They are located within walking distance to many things like the visitors center, shopping and Jennie Wade house. They have a nice Loyalty Program. Its $2 to join and has great benefits for frequent visitors like myself. Highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Robyn9879
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We appreciate hearing that you enjoy your time with us. You are right-our "Loyalty Program" does provide great savings for our repeat guests! We have over 1300 members! We hope that you will continue to visit with us. There are so many things to see in Gettysburg. It is a beautiful little town and very friendly! We love our visitors here! Hopefully you will be able to join us for some of the events being planned for 2013-the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg! It should be a most exciting time! Thank you again for the review. Those reviews mean so much to us. We look foward to seeing you soon!

There are newer reviews for 1863 Inn of Gettysburg

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I have been to Gettysburg many times over the years. I have stayed in several hotels and had a favorite at one time. This was before staying at the 1863 Inn at Gettysburg. The staff there is always friendly and will help in any way they can to make your stay comfortable. The rooms are clean and the stmosphere is welcoming. I am happy to say that this was not a one time experience. This same warm and welcoming atmosphere has been at the hotel over the past several times we have visited. The location of the hotel is withing walking distance of most of the attractions in the area. I would highly recommend that you stay at the 1863 Inn at Gettysburg the next time you are in the area. It is an experience you will always cherish.

Room Tip: Rooms on the extension are the best
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know that you have enjoyed your visits with us! We certainly appreciate it. It is very rewarding to know that we have done a good job! We have many repeat guests and love seeing them return time and time again. With so many other lodging options in our town we know how important it is to exceed our visitors expectations. We hope that you will contniue to consider us as your favorite stop over spot when you are in Gettysburg! We love to make people happy!:) Thank you again for the wonderful review. See you next time!

Reviewed 8 May 2012

The most comfortable, perfectly placed, professionally staffed hotel I've ever encountered. Positioned in the heart of the Civil Wars largest restored battlefeild, the 1863 Inn has always been the place to go when in anywhere near Pennsylvania. They not only are located in the center of the battlefeild but well within walking distance to local merchants, licensed battlefeild guides, outstanding resturaunts, and even have a pool for the hotest of days.....The staff have a clear knowledge of all local events and their locations. The rooms are super clean and comfortable, breakfast served is perfect for those who want to get out and see all the sites.....I stay there at least 4 to 5 times a year and will do so this year........Do not miss out on this hotel for the mostcomfortable, enjoyable, learning experience you'll NEVER forget.

Room Tip: All rooms are great..........the rooms in the back are away from street noise but the rooms in the f...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are glad that you enjoy your visits with us. Guest satisfaction is our main goal. We provide a clean, comfortable room at a resonable rate. We are proud of our hotel and our staff. We realize that there are many lodging options available in Gettysburg. We know how important it is to stay competitive with the "big name" hotels. We offer all the extra goodies that our visitors expect-iron and ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer, free internet service, outdoor pool, refrigerator in each room, and our Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast! Plus the best location in town! Just park your car and walk to mostly everything. 2013 will be a very busy time here in Gettysburg-150th anniversary of the battle. We hope you will be able to join us for some of the events. Thank you again for the kind words. We look foward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I have looked at some of the reviews post here about this facility, my family and I stayed here while we were in Gettysburg. This was a very clean comfortable place in a great location in town, I not sure what people are looking for while vacationing but I am not royallty or a millionare, It was a fine place to for a man taking his family on vacation. .
A Father

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Thank you so very much for the wonderfeul review. We offer a clean,comfortable room at a good rate and a great staff to take care of our visitors. We are very proud of this hotel. We offer all the extra goodies that most larger more expensive hotels offer. We work hard to make sure that our guests have an enjoyable experience while they are here. Now we are not perfect but if there is a problem we will do everything we can to resolve it if it is brought to our attention. Our newly renovated rooms are beautiful! The new mattresses are a big hit! The Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast offers a large selection of hot and cold itmes. It sure saves a ton of money if you have a large family. We have over 1300 "Loyalty" Members. These people come back 3 or 4 times a year to stay with us. I guess we are doing something right!:) Thank you again for your review. We appreciate it. Please stop and see us again if you are ever back this way. It would be our pleasure!

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Do not expect a charming "inn". I would agree the location is great for sightseeing, except for the construction and traffic noise out front. Very basic, clean and strange layout (hallways are on the outside of the building versus inside, more like a motel). It did not meet our expectations for the price. If you do choose to stay, ask to be on the backside of the building without the "view". We were there for a college tour of Gettsyburg College, so the location didn't mean anything to us. Their wi-fi did not work while we were there-total pain! 2 star at best.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thank you for answering my email yesterday. I would still like to speak to you directly so you can provide me with some more information on your stay. I do apologize for the street noise. We are on a main street and it does tend to get a bit loud at times. Nothing like a big city but it can bother some people. I have gone back over your review to see if i can pin point exactly why you were so unhappy. I really don't see anything except the fact the the wi-fi was not working-which was corrected within an hour of the first report to the desk-the noise from the street and you mentioned that we are not really an "Inn". I have checked our records and see that you made your reservation with Expedia. Their web site clearly shows that we have exterior corridors and have 5 floors. You must also remember that when you make your reservation thru a third party site such as Expedia there are extra fees charged, Our rate at the hotel level is actually very resonable. There are several chains that use the word "Inn" in their name. Holiday Inn-Hampton Inn-Days Inn-Comfort Inn-many more. I am not sure what your definition of an "Inn" is? The word actually means- a public house for the lodging or refreshment of travelers. We do not claim to be anything like a Bed and Breakfast. We are a hotel that provides a clean, comfortable room for our visitors at a resonable rate. There was no report to the front desk staff of any issues during your stay with us. We would have been happy to resolve any problems you may have had but I am still not sure what those problems were. Would you be so kind and eamil or call me to let me know what we could have done to make your stay more enjoyable? We can't fix a problem if we do not know that you have one. Thank you for your time. I do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I stayed in Gettysburg with our two dogs last month for a couple of nights. This hotel was perfect for our needs. We were looking for accomodations that would allow us to expore the town and battlefield with our dogs, but also a place we could leave the pups so we could enjoy dinner and drinks in town. The staff was curteous throughout our stay and the continental breakfast was enough to allow us to start our day without searching immediately for breakfast. The rooms are ample size and very clean. If you're looking for something upscale then you may want to seek elsewhere (probably somewhere other than Gettysburg, PA) but if you are looking for reasonably priced clean rooms in a great location, search no more.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your visit with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The price is right and we provide a clean, comfortable well appointed room. Our Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast is a great way to start your day. If you are looking for something a bit more extensive, there are many dining options within walking distance of the hotel. We are very pet friendly! We do love our furry visitors! Thank you for choosing the 1863 Inn! We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I visited Gettysburg last week. When we checked into the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised to learn we were on the second floor. We were shocked when we saw our room was eye level with the back roof. Looking out our window, we had a view of the roof and the air conditioning system. We figured, if that was the worst of it, that’s OK. When we entered our room, the smell of something rotten was overwhelming. I put on the air conditioning in an attempt to clear it up. Every time we entered our room, it smelled really bad! The breakfast offered each morning was good and was included in the room price. We would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent visit. I do apologize about the smell in that room. As I have stated in other reviews-those rooms are newly renovated and the odor is caused by the fresh paint, drapes, carpet and furniture. These rooms have only been in inventory a short time. That odor will fade with time. The room you were in does overlook the roof in the back of the building. There are indeed fans on that roof. I am sorry about the view. The fans are necessary. There is not too much that we can do to disguise them. The rooms on the front of our building have a beautiful view of the town. We would have been happy to move you to another room if we would have known that there was a problem. I do hope that your room was clean and everything was in good working order. We want every visitor to enjoy their stay. Again, I apologize for the room location and the "new" smell. I did call and leave a message for you to contact me directly to discuss your concerns. Have a great summer.