“Loved our visit to Gettysburg. Will plan more than 2 days next time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gettysburg

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
East Liverpool, Ohio
28 helpful votes
“Loved our visit to Gettysburg. Will plan more than 2 days next time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

My husband and I visited Gettysburg at the end of June 2011. We stayed in a hotel one night, and camped the other night. We really enjoyed everything Gettysburg had to offer. We enjoyed a historical horseback tour of the battlefields, did the auto tour of the rest of the fields, enjoyed all the shops, restaurants and entertainment downtown. The outlet mall which is a 5 minute drive from downtown is awesome! If you have kids, gotta go to Mulligan's puttputt, which is also a 5 minute drive from downtown. 2 great courses, really good, inexpensive ice cream. Great deal all around. Loved Gettysburg, can't wait to take our daughter in a couple years when she can appreciate it.

Nampa, Idaho
34 helpful votes
“Awesome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Gettysburg was a very cool place to visit. It gives you a better perspective of how the battle went down. You have several choices of tours from bus to auto tour to walking tour. Several places to walk on trails. The historic city is a lot of tourism but still very nice. Outside the historic city you have Wal Mart and other stores in a normal town. Gas was around $3.79 a gal.
We found a better price for souvenirs in town then at the visitors center.

st. clair
24 helpful votes
“Great town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

Gettysburg is clean, family friendly and an absolute must for the history buff. Sure there are plenty of tourist traps (ghost walks), but there are many sites worth visiting. It takes a few days to tour the battlefields which surround the town. My husband and I did the two hour tour bus as well as purchasiing a cd and exploring the fields no our own - I recommend the cd. While the tour guide was knowledgeable the two hours didn't cover that much and we were at the mercy of a schedule. With the cd we took our time and lingered where we chose.
The bed and breakfasts are numerous and we have yet to find one we didn't enjoy. As far as dining skip the Farnsworth House and have lunch at the Dobbin House Tavern - the sandwiches are good (never had dinner here) and the atmosphere is historic. For a quick brew The Blue Parrot has several micro-brews and a trip out of town (about 10 minutes) to The Herr Tavern for dinner is fabulous. Its pricey but the filet was delicious.
The ghost tours (we took several) are not worth your money or time, but the historic tours in The Jennie Wade House, Shriver House, Eisenhower Home, The Cyclorama, are worth every penny.
Enjoy!

toronto
29 helpful votes
“Must Visit Destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

My daughter and I decided to stop by this town on our way home from another destination. I was reluctant because being Canadian, I have limited knowledge of American history and wasn't expecting a small town to deliver a compelling story.

Boy was I wrong.

We only had one night to spare and so we quickly raced to the National Park/Military Museum. There we hired a tour guide (I wish I remembered his name) to take us throughout the park to explain the battles that took place there. He was so fantastic! He walked us through the story of the battle of Gettysburg as we traveled throughout the park, stopping at key areas. It was so compelling, it didn't take long for us to be able to imagine the soldiers battling across what is now baron fields. The story of this battle really helped to put some of today's challenges in context. This was the best part of our vacation by far!

We stayed at the Mariott hotel which, in other areas had proved to be a disappointing experience but not in Gettysburg. The hotel had full amenities and great service.

The town of Gettysburg was charming with shop/restaurant staff in character aligned with time in history. The buildings were very old and maintained perfectly. The town was clean and safe even when strolling down the streets in the evening.

There are many ghost tours operated privately in town. I think different operators have access to different buildings or part of buildings. While there may have been a tour that offered a more fullsome history of the town, that was not our experience. We visited a couple of places and learned the history of them along with a few ghost stories but we did not encounter any paranormal experiences along the way (whew!) The funny thing is, when we looked at our photos there were some that had many clear orbs and others that had none. We are also are debating over a ghostly shadow that appears on one of the photos we took of the statue of Jennie Wade - the only citizen killed in the battle.

I have to also recommend The Dobbin House Tavern - Springhouse Tavern (which is in the basement) for a real historic experience. The Dobbin House was used as hospital during the civil war for both the confederate and union soldiers. The atmosphere is warm and friendly - candle light on the tables and natural wood and stone remind you of what a tavern back then would look like. As with most houses back then, the basement was originally a shallow cold cellar but the experience is authentic. The comfort food was incredible and the staff in character, were very friendly. The prices - rediculously affordable.

We really enjoyed our brief stay in Gettysburg and plan to return soon.

Newport News, Virginia
10 helpful votes
“My favorite place in the United States”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

Words do not describe the feeling of being in Gettysburg! If you're a history fanatic, this place holds it own in any arena. I've visited Gettysburg three times in the last five years and I always walk away wanting to stay longer. The history and locations have been well documented and preserved. The options for food and hotels are endless and their is something for everyone. I've visited many locations throughout the world, but nothing compares to the feeling I get from walking the town and battlefields of Gettysburg!

Been to Gettysburg? Share your experiences!