“Quite Decent, but Not Distinguished Enough for a Top-Ten Rating”

Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #33 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This was my first stay at any Jameson Inn (2 nights, business, late October 2011). Although the place is certainly adequate and probably above average, I'm unsure that it deserved the #4 TripAdvisor ranking among all Jacksonville hotels that influenced my decision to book a room. The rating is #7 as I write this.

This hotel is located a little off I-95 exit #344, about 8 miles from downtown. The area seems safe and relatively quiet, with 8 to 10 other hotels, sit-down and fast-food restaurants, and small office complexes nearby. An Applebee's and a Waffle House are within very short walking distance; in case your GPS goes nuts like mine did, the Jameson is the first hotel after the Applebee's entrance.

My web reservation (Jameson site) was in order; the lobby is very clean and inviting. I was greeted cordially by Thomasa, the desk clerk. In response to my web request for the highest & quietest room possible, she said that their first floor was their "quiet" floor. I was doubtful, but she reassured me. I got room #111, at the end of the hall right next to ice & vending, which made me even more doubtful. However, Thomasa said that no one was booked above me, which was true on both nights (therefore, I can't comment on how sound-resistant the floors are).

The room was quite clean and nicely appointed, with decent lighting, double beds, and less free floor space than usual (for example, it was hard to do sit-ups). The luggage rack was built onto the floor and wooden, not like the flimsy metal/strap racks in many mid-range hotels. The room had a nightstand between the beds, a small desk in the corner, a recliner chair, a closeable wardrobe, an iron with board, a hair-dryer, and a flat-screen TV that swiveled. One major plus was the abundance of electrical outlets; another was the outstanding water pressure (plumbing). There was NOT a microfridge or a microwave oven in this room (normally a big minus for me); if I recall, some rooms are supposed to have them.

The bath sink was outside the bathroom proper (a plus), with plenty of counter space on which to spread out. Soap & shampoo were provided, but no conditioner. The bath linens were typical for mid-range hotels: some pieces were adequate for use, others (more than half) were at end of life. As a major minus, the water seemed to be very hard, because showering, shampooing, & shaving took longer than they should have: it was too hard to work up lathers.

When I sat on the end of the bed, it groaned, and I got the sense that the mattress would tip (however, it didn't). The bed & pillows were comfortable enough, and I slept well except on the second night, when other guests exited their rooms at 6 a.m. and slammed their doors. I heard no other noise (including ice & vending) and didn't know whether anyone was booked next door, so I venture to say without full commitment that the thickness of the walls may be pretty good.

My key card worked every time in my room door and at the outside entrance nearest my room. Happily, when the maids serviced my room, their master key cards didn't cancel out my ability to enter with my card, as happens too often elsewhere.

My 6:45 a.m. wake-up call came at 6:37, and my 8 a.m. call came at 7:52. This is a little off.

A breakfast buffet included pastries, some fruit, and the opportunity to make hot waffles. However, I saw no milk, which meant fighting those tiny plastic containers of MooMoo coffee-creamer. There also appeared to be no cereal, for those (or those with kids) who consider cereal rather normal to find at breakfast.

The hotel has a small, square pool, more for cool dips than for swimming. The garbage can & ashtray by the side exit to the pool weren't overflowing, but they obviously hadn't been emptied for some time.

I never encountered this "Ryan" employee whom earlier reviewers have raved about. Thomasa was quite friendly but wasn't from Jacksonville, so she couldn't really answer specific questions about the area. On the first morning (Friday), an unsmiling desk clerk with permed blonde hair, perhaps in her 40s, couldn't really be bothered, and I really had to persist in order to get some answers. Checkout on Saturday at around 9:30 a.m. was swift and uneventful; a young clerkette asked me how everything was. Somewhat grumpily from having been awakened by slammed doors at 6 a.m., I muttered, "OK, I guess." The clerkette said (not in unfriendly fashion), "Just 'OK'?" I muttered about guests' having slammed their doors, to no response.

In summary, I COULD and MIGHT stay here again, but I'd look further before committing. There's a Microtel and a Red Roof Inn among the other choices, and I'd consider them upon reviewing their TripAdvisor ratings. The Jameson's rates were pretty good, and it's a decent place; however, given the above non-optimal observations (none of which was fatal to my stay), I don't believe that this hotel deserves as distinguished a TripAdvisor ranking as #4 (at booking) or #7 (at this writing) in a city of Jacksonville's size.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TBoneTX
jijax0092, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Dear Tbone TX,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Jameson Inn Jacksonville. We are happy to hear of your overall satisfaction regarding your stay. We understand you have many choices in your lodging while traveling and we appreciate your business. As an Award Winner in Customer Satisfaction for 2011 by the Market Metrix Hospitality in the Economy market, we believe in providing legendary service for a great value. I have addressed your concerns regarding our breakfast as well as our telephone wake up system to be sure the issues are resolved. We hope we can gain your loyalty as a satisfied Jameson Inn guest in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Very nice hotel, reasonable price, apparently new. I only missed the refrigerator.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
jijax0092, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear Hodoiporos:

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at Jameson Inn, Jacksonville, FL. We are pleased you were happy with our hotel and service. We hope you will come back to visit us again if you are in Jacksonville in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

This is a great place to stay, great price too. Will be back if I'm in Jacksonville again.

• Stayed: October 2011
jijax0092, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear Angelface3020,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Jameson Inn, Jacksonville. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to provide great value for our guests. We hope you will come back soon and stay at Jameson Inn.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

We are staying at the Jameson Inn due to my husband's visits to Mayo Clinic. The Jameson is only 9 miles away from the clinic. The rooms are clean and inviting. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. They offer a wonderful continental breadfast, including biscuits & gravy! We have even stayed in the spacious and emmaculate handicap room! Great value also for the Jacksonville area! You need to stay here as it is close to several eating establishments to accomodate most tastes, close to 95, and direct route to the beach also!

Room Tip: Lower level rooms are quite and have easy access to swimming pool and weight room!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Sandra W:

Thank you so much to taking the time to post your review of Jameson Inn, Jacksonville. We appreciate your business and are so happy you enjoyed your stay. It is our goal to provide lengendary service at a great value. We hope you enjoyed your breakfast and that you found the amenities satisfactory. We know you have many lodging choices when traveling and we are grateful you chose Jameson Inn. We hope you will stay with us again when back in the Jacksonville area.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We picked this hotel soley based on the Trip Advisor ratings. We stayed here coming in late from JAX airport on our way to Tallahassee. We arrived about 10:30 PM and we were given a room (208?) that strongly smelled of epoxy. Upon turning on the lights, we noticed that the room was under repair. It looked like repair of the toilet water supply. PVC piping, bucket, tools and a mess were left on the floor. We went back down to lobby and desk person was surprised of our findings. We reserved 2 double beds, not a king like was in 208. So I don't know if the personal phone calls she was on distracted her or there was a miscommunication at the hotel of some kind.
We were given Room 128, which was more acceptable and what we had reserved. The room was like a Red Roof or 2-star hotel room. Nothing fancy. The towels were frayed and thinned and there was mold above the bathroom door. We hit "Late Night at the Waffle House" for dinner which was right next door as was an Applebee's. We did have a comfortable night's sleep in the beds.
Breakfast was continental for the most part with "make your own waffles" and sausage gravy added. It was filling, but it would have been nice to have some more fresh fruit like bananas. Check-out was much better than check-in. The pool was clean and the exercise cabana was a nice touch and clean
Overall, I expected more. The price was good ($67 for a Thursday). The prior reviews are too high for this average hotel. It is in a good location, but there are a number of other low cost hotels at the same exit. This Jameson Inn did not distinguish itself from any other 2 star hotel. They could do better to earn my visit again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
jijax0092, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Dear Werbrichfamily:

Thank You for your feedback regarding your stay at Jameson Inn, Jacksonville, FL. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you incurred during your stay with us. I have addressed these issues with the Staff in efforts to correct these items. If ever during your stay at a Jameson Inn you have any questions and/or concerns, please ask to speak to Management so we may have the opportunity to address any concerns you have during your stay. Please give us the opportunity to correct any situation while you are still with us. We pride ourselves in great customer service so I hope that next time you are back in Jacksonville, you’ll give us another chance. We really want you to love staying at Jameson and will do whatever we can to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

Nice looking motel that's way above average! Clean room and great pool at the back. I can't remember what the breakfast was like but overall it truly was a great stay.

Will definatley come back if I'm in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
jijax0092, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear Texas Timon,

Thank You for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your stay at Jameson Inn, Jacksonville, FL. It is our goal to provide a great experience for all of our guests so I am glad you were satisfied with our amenities and cleanliness of the property. We look forward to future opportunities to serve your hotel needs while in Jacksonville.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed here for one night as were travelling north to Charleston. It is a very nice Hotel, well located, clean and comfortable beds and bathroom, with a good free breakfast. Overall everything was fine and we would stay here again if ever in the Jacksonville area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
jijax0092, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear Schatsi:

Thank You for sharing your comments regarding your brief stay at Jameson Inn, Jacksonville. We realize you have many choices when selecting lodging accomodations and we appreciate your selection of our hotel. We hope to have you as our Guest in the future.