“Not Your Normal Jacksonville Restaurant”
Review of Rue Saint Marc

Rue Saint Marc
Reserve with OpenTable
Rue Saint Marc is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #130 of 2,232 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Reviewed November 17, 2017 via mobile

If you are tired of the same old thing in dining I highly recommend Rue St Marc. This restaurant is a local take on French Cooking with you the minuscule portions. My son, who works in the beverage industry ordered a bottle of Chateau Pesquie from the Rhone Valley. As with the restaurant the wine was not a typical wine from the Rhone. Not trying to be a wine snob. My wife along with four other friends and I spend time in Avignon and toured wineries every day while there. This wine was more fruit forward with medium to light tannins. It was great to drink without the food and was a great accompanyment to the food. First we had house made Pate which had some duck in it - Delicious! I had pork brisket with Fargo and my son had barrel fish with lentils. Both dishes were great and the favors complimented wonderfully. The chef does not deal with a fixed menu. He creates a limited number of entrees which is another thing different from normal Jacksonville. We will go again.

PS. Please order a different wine from their great list. Save the Chateau Pisquie for me!

Reviewed November 11, 2017 via mobile

The coffee is excellent service is fast
I ordered mushroom spinach crepe and it was really good my husband had the brioche with cherry jam an absolute delight bread home made the bloody Mary is pretty spicy the decoration is very trendy we enjoyed the guitar playing discret not overwhelming good place to go to

Reviewed November 9, 2017

Cocktails were decent. The decor is better than the food. I ordered the brandade and it was awful - bland as all get out complete with Fish bones. The Mayport Shrimp Étouffée was spicy but lacked flavor (didn't think that was possible). Super disappointed. This place can't last long. The only thing I did like was the spiced chocolate creme brulee. Wouldn't go back.

Reviewed October 18, 2017

First time visit to this gem of a restaurant. Was taking friends to the airport and we wanted a place not too far away. We read the reviews and decided to stop in. We sat at the high top community table as all others were occupied, a good sign for a new place, especially for a 1:30 lunch time.

My lunch guests and I are from Philly and LA area so we actually thought the prices were very reasonable for what we got. The restaurant concept (French influenced food from around the world) is innovative and translated into some of the most interesting dishes we've ever had (the pasta and eggplant beignets were brilliant!).

We found the portions to be just perfect for "normal" people. If you're used to overstuffed plates of mediocre food you may be disappointed but if you crave interesting dishes and don't need to "roll" out of a restaurant then this place is for you.

We also had a good laugh at the review where the person complained about the fish coming out with nothing but butter. For those who didn't match the review to the menu item like we did, note, the dish on the menu is: "Fish Meuniere", which is an age old French dish that was prepared as the menu described "in brown butter". Menu descriptions and answers to some questions we had on certain items sets the expectation for what the dishes are, which were nothing short of spectacular.

Wine choices were also well thought out and the cocktail list was extensive and as interesting as the food.

The final highlight of our meal was the chance to talk with Executive Chef Scott Alters. Learning about his path and training was a delight.

Reviewed October 17, 2017

If I lived in Jacksonville this would be my new favorite hang out. Open and inviting, the inventive menu reflects French cuisine both classic to the continent and inspired by French colonies across the globe. From the Caribbean to Vietnam and all the points in between, each dish has a purity of flavor that is distinctive yet uncomplicated. My friends and I happened upon Rue as a quick lunch spot before heading the the airport. We shared a collection of menu items and would have kept on going down the list if we’d had enough room. Kudos to Scott and Gabrielle for creating this lovely restaurant.