“A scary experience that I will never, ever forget.”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows
Ranked #81 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Mapleton, Maine
“A scary experience that I will never, ever forget.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I've stayed in dirtier hotels, I've had worse experiences, but I don't think I ever had a scare that I experienced at this extended stay. I believe I paid about $300 for a week at this hotel. We arrived at our room and noticed that musty, gross smell that a lot of poorly run extended stay hotels have. This hotel was close to a lot of awesome shops and restaurants, but that was it. The internet did NOT work, management could not care any less. After I plugged back in the television (most electronics were unplugged, no idea why) I ended up sitting on the sofa and felt a stab on my butt...Go figure, I ended up sitting on a drug addicts used syringe that the maid must have "overlooked". In the easiest way to put it, I feared for my future, one stab of a needle and you get hit with something you'll never get rid of. I documented the entire incident in case I would ever need to bring up legal action with the management here. As for the rest of the stay, the maids came to clean up twice over the entire week, which i didn't mind, after speaking to another guest who had the police at his room the night before, I found out that one of the maids were better at "scavenging" than cleaning, to say the least. Prostitution was pretty big at this hotel, probably because it was one of the cheapest in the area and the management didn't care what the residents did as long as they were paid. Needless to say I told management that if I ended up contracting anything that they would hear from my lawyer...Ended up getting blood work done a month later for the deadly stuff and it all came back negative (and still is to this day), thank god. After this experience I will never, ever stay with an extended stay hotel again, and published a full review on the BBB about this property. Hopefully someone on top of the chain of command will do something about this poor excuse of a motel/brothel.

Room Tip: Times are hard, and money is really tough to come by. The extended stay is one of the cheapest hotel...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Yendi
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Please let me first apologize for the scary experience that you had and I am happy to hear that everything is OK with you and your health. I would also like to mention that neither me nor my Assistant knew of this until now. We do care very much about this property and what happens. I sincerely wish that you had said something back in May when you stayed with us so that we could have rectified the situation and made your stay better. It is never our intent for a guest to have a bad stay and I would also like to defend our housekeeping staff. They have been with us for over five years and we have never had a problem with them scavenging. I sincerely feel that I need to defend most of what you said to include the internet which we have also never had a problem with. If you could please contact me so that I can get more information from you about what room you stayed in, I can get more to the bottom of your concerns. My number and email address can be found on your receipt. Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience and I want nothing more than to make things better. With your help, I may be able to accomplish this.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Although clean, you get what you paid for. Well priced; simple beds, nothing compared to home. Internet connection was slow. Maybe because is for extended stay and it doesn't have all the amenities of a regular hotel, it is what it is. Front desk folks could use a little more smile and attention when treating guests.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you for your response and critique. It is very much appreciated. We are working with our front desk more to give service with a smile. I hope that everything went well during your travels and the I would also like to wish you and your family a Happy and Safe Holiday Season.
Concord, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

Decided to stay here for the night because we got a discount and only paid $30 for a night. BIG MISTAKE! We arrived around 11:30 pm. The office closes at 11:00 pm and there is a sign stating to use phone next to door and follow directions. I picked up the phone and a man comes up beside me and starts almost yelling "I'M RIGHT HERE." How was i to know he was the employee? Got to room and the smell was HORRIBLE as soon as we opened door. Cigarette smoke, musty smell. The sheets were dirty. There were bugs flying around. The wall felt like it had a "powdery" residue on it. There was a used towel in the bathroom on the sink. dirty dishes in sink. white, powdery substance on the stove.The small refridgerator had orange stuff all over the bottom of freezer, and there was still FOOD in the fridge. I was scared to stay the night, but my husband decided we would tough it out. I did not sleep at all! Could hear all the neighbors as they got up for the day. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HOTEL! next time i will stay at a more expensive place. you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Do not take any rooms! Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tiffany m
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
I would like to begin by apologizing for the security personel that appeared to be yelling at you. I spoke with that employee about your concerns and he assured me that he did not mean to lead you to believe that and he would like to apologize to you. He just wanted to let you know that he was on the property and available. The problem with your room was completely unacceptable and there are no words that begin to describe how embarrassed I am by your expierence. It is never our intent to rent a room to anyone that is not ready to be rented, such as this case. It is clear to me that the room had not had housekeeping that day and never should've been assigned to you. I also want to thank you for this review. Had you not said anything, we would not have known that a room that is not ready slipped by us. I hope the rest of your travels went well.

Shelley Castilho
Hansville, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

I'll be returning in September for my 3rd stay here.I had a problem on the first stay with a refrigerator that hadn't been defrosted in months, apparently, but I just put it in the shower overnight and it was fine in the morning, Minor problem with Internet e-mail connectivity the 2nd time, but self-resolved after a pleasant but unproductive conversation with tech support. My rooms have always been clean, the beds comfortable, and the showers hot. I don't ask much more -- it's not the Ritz-Carlton, but IMHO they do a good job of providing a decent room at a bargain price.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PhoebeAnn
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Thank you for your response. I am happy to hear that with every stay, you notice a change for the better. Since your first stay, we have received the larger refridgerators, I hope that you had the chance to expierence those.
I look forward to your next stay. Please call the hotel directly, in advance so that we may give you the VIP treatment.

Thank you again. It's always a pleasure when a guest is happy.

Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

This is the third year I have stayed in this hotel during my trip to the United States. It is an extended stay hotel so it doesn't have all the services of other hotels, but for what they charge, the rooms are clean and comfortable!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank asimovtrek
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
The Staff and I would like to Thank you for your kind review. The next time you are in the area, I hope that you will choose us again.

Best Wishes,

Valdosta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

My daughter and I were on our way home to Valdosta, GA, when our vehicle broke down. Unfortuantely, it is not a quick fix and the mechanics recommended Suburban Exteneded Stay. After reading reviews here I was EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL. I am a clean freak and can not tolerate rude employees. Upon check in, desk clerk was superb. Very friendly and helpful. When we went to our room, we were pleasently surprised. Although small (But it is certainly suitable), it was very clean!! New bedding, new carpet, new fridge (with a real freezer). TV is also new, with great channel line-up. Kitchette is well stocked with everything you would need to prepare meals. AC works FANTASTIC!! I like it cold, and at times it has been too cold. There is also free wireless included. Rest of the staff, is wonderful as well. Very cordial and helpful. Also, being wthout a vehicle, there are numerous restaurants well with in walking distance. GREAT RATES as well!! Prior to arrival here, I spent 3x's the amount per night and was not half as satisfied as I am here. I will definelty stay here again when traveling to/through Jacksonville.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank TitchToo
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
I would like to thank you for your kind comments. It is very much appreciated. We have tried really hard to turn things around and give a better impression and your comments will help us alot to show guests that we are not as bad as our comments.
You are very much appreciated and when you are traveling in the area again, please contact us ahead of time so that we can make special arrangements for you.

Thanks again,
Atlantic City, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

Upon arrival at hotel the desk agent was outside with two other guys smoking and not friendly. The room was a big joke " nasty ". The kitchen range was broken alone with the fridge. The bathroom had mold all over it. Toilet did not flush and no one was able to help me. On Saturday my child woke up to two small roaches crawling on him. This hotel really need to be shut down poor mgt. and rooms are not up to choice standards.Also hair was found on bathroom floor and wall. When we pulled back to covers the sheets were filty likethey have not been washed.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. You have been warned..
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank WASSENIA2005
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
I would like to take a moment to apologize for the problems that you had while staying with us back in April. Rest assured that your comments do not fall on deaf ears. All employees have been warned and are on notice. This type of activity will not be tolerated. Thank you for letting us know. Also, I would like you and anyone else that reads this to know that we are doing everything we can to make this a better place to visit. We are working very hard to turn things around. I would like to know which room you stayed in so that we are able to put that room down and have it treated and get maintenance in there to correct all problems.
Thank you for letting us know. Without your comments we would not know that these problems exsist.

Management & Staff