“Horrible, do yourself a favor and go anywhere but here”

El Potro Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #1,327 of 2,186 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 13, 2015 via mobile

In Jacksonville for a few days and wanted Mexican food and El Potro was pretty close so we tried it. Our waitress could not have cared less that we were even there. They have a buffet and were almost offended we asked for a menu. The buffet food seems to have sat out all day. A refill really offended our waitress. We ordered beef nachos for our kids and it literally tasted like dog food, not joking.

The salsa tastes like it is poured out of a Pace Picante Sauce jar. I hate writing bad reviews but this place deserves it. I honestly cannot think of a worse dining experience and I travel a lot and I eat at a lot of places.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Please do not go to eat at El Porto Mexican Restaurant located at 7200-12 Normandy Blvd. Jacksonville, FL 32205. I found glass in my beef taco salad of course after in was already in my mouth. Thank God it did not cut my mouth and I did not swallow it. To make matters worse the Manager basically said I was a liar. His exact words were that is impossible the glass was in my food. Really???? He did not even ask if I was okay.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

There were five of us for dinner one evening in early February and we liked the atmosphere and courteous service. One in our group ate from the buffet bar and the rest of us ordered from the menu. I'm writing this review one month after having eaten here so I can't recall details except that the buffet eater was pleased and so were the rest of us. Tamales were good, and so were the casseroles like enchiladas. Most of us ate dessert as well which was also worth a try. The detail I can recall is that restaurant's interior is spacious enough such that if it had been full of patrons we still would not have felt crowded because the tables are spaced adequately from one another. Sorry for the lack of details, but if the food had been above average I would remember it more vividly than I seem able to remember now. But I should also say that we ate here twice, not just once, and we enjoyed it well enough.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

we went some time ago for lunch. the food was good, the selection average. But the deal was excellent and the service very good. I would suggest it if you are looking for a good value and good Mexican food.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We've tried this place three times but each time it seemed to get a little worse. The food could only be described as low average, waiters were not attentive and prices weren't that cheap. There are much better mexican restaurants in Jax