“Nice property - Still has newspapers - that alone makes it a winner.”

Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast
Ranked #70 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 1 September 2017

It's the new Courtyard design - if you're ok with drab gray, you'll like it. It's not their fault - it's what Marriott requires. The rooms are nice and have the nice desks. The shower makes a bad pinging when the water hits the metal grate - but not a big deal. If someone is walking above you, you will hear it.

The internet was good. I didn't use the gym.

The bistro folks were nice - but they didn't have bananas. That's kind of not good when the Quick Start comes with a banana. They offered an apple...but they had apples out for free ...which was a nice touch.

My favorite thing - they had both the USA Today and Wall Street Journal. Marriott has made a horrible decision allowing hotels to no longer carry the newspaper - which is a deal breaker for a business man like he who likes to read with breakfast...and not my phone.

Overall - I was pleased and will be back.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelManSouth

Reviewed 1 September 2017

I'm a platinum member and I usually give 4 or 5-star ratings. Marriott hotels are non-smoking hotels. However, from time to time guests don't follow the rules. I have read on the Marriott website that the housekeeping staff has been trained to recognize when the "no smoking" rule has been broken. I feel for this staff because sometimes it's tough to really know for sure. I checked in very late Sunday night. As usual, the front desk was great. My express check-in or what ever it is called works really well. My profile has me on a high floor so I was given room 329. The room was warm and humid. No big deal. I live in South Florida, I know what that's like. I lowered the temperature which usually removes the humidity. I was very tired and went right to sleep. I had to be up early. I did not sleep well as the humidity remained even when the room got much colder which I prefer not to do. I'm getting older and my old bones can't take the cold A/C! Much to my surprise, I began to smell cigarette smoke in the middle of the night. I figured I was imagining it. By early morning I definitely smelled cigarette smoke. I told myself I would go to the front desk and switch rooms but simply forgot as I was in a hurry to get to my client. I worked a 14 hour day so when I returned to my room, I was so exhausted I quickly showered and went to sleep. Unfortunately, between the smoke smell and the humidity, it was basically a sleepless night. Finally, at about 6 or 7 AM I went to the front desk to complain. The night shift front desk lady with her very strong southern accent told me there were no other rooms available. They were sold out. I asked her again because I had a tough time understanding her. Once I understood, I told her to book me at another Marriott right away as I was exhausted and needed to get some sleep. At this point, I noticed the next shift person standing near her. I've been staying at hotels for decades, it was obvious to me the front desk lady I was speaking to was in a hurry to get off her shift. SUDDENLY, out of the blue, a room was available. She had me check it out first which I appreciated. The room was 130, the last room next to the stairwell and side exit door. As I entered the room, a staff member who had just been smoking outside the exit door came walking in. Sure enough, a whiff of smoke comes into the building. Ugh! Of course, as I open the door to room 130 some of that smoke gets in. However, other than that, the room seemed OK. I informed the front desk lady I would move. I slept a couple more hours in my "new" room. I woke up perspiring from the humidity. Ugh! This should not be. A/C is supposed to rid of most of the humidity. Just when I thought the humidity was my only worry, there I am sitting later that morning on the toilet when in comes ants and some other insects I was not able to identify but had resemblances to stink bugs. I figured the first floor near the exit door, it happens. But there was more the next morning I checked out. On Thursday morning, I had time to voice my concerns at the front desk. I talked about the ants and other bugs. When I mentioned that I had switched rooms because of the cigarette smoke, the front desk person (someone different this time), asked which room and she responded "Oh, yes, we have been getting those complaints." What the heck! They KNEW there was an issue with room 329 and others! and they booked me there anyway! They should have gone the caution route of addressing the smoking smell issue and NOT booked the rooms in question. BAD for business. Anyway, I know that this is the exception and not the rule at Marriott and I will continue staying at Marriotts. I will be on a project here in Jacksonville so I'm not sure if I will come back here or a different Marriott. The front desk person did say I should expect communication from a manager.

This hotel needs to update their A/C units. It should NOT be that humid in the rooms. I've stayed in more humid areas and have not had this issue.

All hotels including this one should move the smoking areas AWAY from all entrance doors. For me, it was disgusting to have to walk through a thick cloud of smoke.

Marriott needs to review how to handle the whole issue with rooms that smell of cigarette smoke.

Telling a guest that a room was suddenly available basically, tells me there was a flat out lie involved.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 329.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Shannon D, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts in regards to your recent stay. I want to apologize for the issues you encountered. We strive to be the best hotel in Jacksonville and I see we have fallen short of that goal for your stay. I appreciate you brining these concerns to my attention. My hope is that you will give us another opportunity to show you how your comments have improved our service. We want to be your choice when you travel to Jacksonville. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

Amazing gem of a property! I never expect much from airport locations to be honest but this place won me over big time! Beautifully decorated rooms, stylish touches including a very modern bathroom with walk in shower, great lounge area in a standard king room.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Have stay here before with good experiences. Low cost and close to airport. But the room "smelled like mold". Asked for Ozone Air Cleaner, but when provided it was broken. Switched rooms, which does not smell as bad. I suspect a bad carpet clean, with the extractor leaving residue in carpet. Just awoke and went to make coffee it still has grounds from previous guest . Disappointed as this is not the Marriott Experience. Hope they get back on track.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Shannon D, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast. We are disappointed to hear we did not meet the needs for your stay. We will use the feedback in regards to the odor and housekeeping issues to improve our service for future guest. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to show the positive difference your comments have made to improve the guest experience. Thanks again for choosing the Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed on a Friday night before an
early morning flight. Used mobile check-in and my room was ready when I arrived. Front desk attendant was pleasant and efficient. My room was clean and comfortable and had been updated to the new Courtyard couches recently. Bed was comfortable. Only occasional jet noise before 9PM then quiet. Didn't use the bistro. Does offer transportation to the airport.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay at the Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are happy you enjoyed the updates we had made including the Courtyard couch. We hope to be that "solid Courtyard' again for the next time your travel brings you to Jacksonville. We hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

This hit the spot when we had to stop earlier than expected because of bad weather. Clean, great service. Food was good and open until 10pm. One server did it all, but she was efficient. Breakfast was also surprisingly varied. I had egg white frittata and my son had egg biscuit. Good stop and directly off highway right near a gas station. Everything you need!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Shannon D, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at the Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope that next time your travel brings you back to Jacksonville; you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Thanks again for choosing our hotel.

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

This is a typical Marriott Courtyard. Its a good value for this location.

PROs:
- friendly staff
- clean rooms
- Free airport shuttle
- restaurant on site
- refrigerator in room

CONs
- no real cons to speak of

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts in regards to your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that we were able to meet all the needs for your visit. We hope that next time you are in Jacksonville you will give us another opportunity to serve you. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again for choosing the Courtyard Jacksonville Airport Northeast.