“Amazing”

National Aquarium, Baltimore
Ranked #4 of 226 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the world's best aquariums, the National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. It champions environmental initiatives by engaging with visitors, volunteers, education groups and schools to actively participate in the preservation of the world's natural resources and living systems. The National Aquarium delivers meaningful experiences through its living collection of more than 17,000 animals from more than 750 species of fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, marine mammals and sharks, as well as through exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences like sleepovers and tours, science-based education programs and hands-on experiences in the field.
Melbourne, Australia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is by far the best Aquarium I have ever been to and well worth the $27.90 admission fee, Which includes a ticket to the dolphin show. I went with a guy I met at the youth hostel, we spent almost 4 hours there in total. We started at the dolphin show, which was brilliant. Then moved on to the Jellyfish. I didn't realise Jellyfish were so interesting. Then to the tropical rain forest, where my day was made by seeing a sloth..I know not an Aquatic animal but still awesome! Then seeing all kinds of fish and sharks from around the world. Then over to Australia. Now being Australian I didn't think it would be that cool but I was wrong. I saw fruit bats for the first time ever among lots of marine animals I have previously seen in the wild or zoo's in Australia.
I would highly recommend stopping by Baltimore just to experience the aquarium. It is a must see.

2 Thank bmacdonald18

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not seaworld but worth it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I regularly visit the acquirium downtown in the off season and been to tons of acquiriums. I know in the summer it can be a heckit wait and very crowded. The dolphin show can be skipped. This acqarium has more than just fish. For example it has crocs, monkeys, sloths, frongs, snakes, penguines, and much much more. The rainforest section on the top level is actually my favorite part. The glass front of the building holds the Australia exhibit which is quite unique as far as acquariums goes and you will see various wierd species of turtles. If you or anyone in your group enjoys observing and learning about animals this is worth it.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Christine C
Virginia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Disappointing - crowded - not worth the $$$.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We purchased tickets for 1:00pm entry. Upon arriving we had difficulty even seeing the exhibits because there was such a backup at each one - I thought the controlled hourly entry times were for crowd control, but it doesn't work. The only highlight for us was the rainforest (in an aquarium?) where we saw some live animals (a sloth in a tree right above out heads was pretty neat). Please get rid of the dolphin show at the aquarium and just educate without the circus act - those poor dolphins. We paid over $120 for our family of four - way too much.

State College, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“parts are really nice; other parts are just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

It has been at least 10 years since my last visit to the aquarium. I had remembered this aquarium as being fantastic. On this return visit that it wasn't as great as I had remembered. Here's a quick summary:

The main aquarium was nice, but not as complete as you would expect from such a large aquarium. For example, they didn't have as many species of sharks as some of the smaller aquariums I've been to. They also didn't have things like a sea star or manta "petting" area, etc.

The main rainforest was BORING. It was pointless.

The dolphin show was a bit of a disappointment. The dolphins didn't do many tricks and the presenters had NO enthusiasm. I realize that this isn't Sea World, but I would have expected a more entertaining 1/2 hour show. The added cost was only $3, however, so it was probably worth it.

The Australia area was surprisingly nice. It was MUCH more engaging than the original rain forest.

The jellyfish display was also very nice.

Overall, we had a nice afternoon, but it probably wasn't worth the $28 ticket price.

1 Thank PSUCoasterfan
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Almost as good as scuba diving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

What a memorable experience! Coming from New York, we tend to think we've seen it all. But this is really going to stay with you. The aquarium is brilliantly designed so that you are completely enveloped in aquatic life. You truly feel like you are connected to the underwater scenery. Great for adults and children alike. Also very informative, with easily readable and visible exhibit explanations.

Visited February 2012