“Fantastic Crab Cakes”

Pappas Restaurant - Parkville
Reserve with OpenTable
Pappas Restaurant - Parkville is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 2,419 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Taylor Ave. and Oakleigh Rd.
Transit: MTA: Loch Raven Blvd. and Taylor Ave.
Reviewed April 6, 2017

If you are looking for authentic Baltimore-style crab cakes, in my opinion this is the place. These are not "Maryland" crab cakes, which in my experience are vastly different. Maryland crab cakes generally refer to a southern Maryland tradition of crab cake without lumps and with other spices like onion. The crab cakes at Pappas are backfin meat cakes, with minimal filling (just enough to keep all the lump crab meat held together). If you get the crab cake platter, it comes with an 8-ounce crab cake (plenty for one meal, trust me!) as well as a coup of soup, two sides and a drink. We chose the Maryland crab soup, which was a little spicy and well seasoned. It contained visible crab meat, as well as plenty of vegetables. A basic tossed salad with fresh dressing was next, followed by the platter with crab cake and another side. In my opinion, this was a LOT of food for the price! My side was green beans, which were fresh and cooked perfectly.

We also enjoyed the service when we went. Our server was very gracious, as she dealt with a party of 6 including 3 nonagenarians (our 90-plus years parents) who are all hard of hearing and take quite some time to answer questions! Our server was patient and spoke more slowly to accommodate our parents. This was noticed by all during our meal.

All in all, a fantastic experience!

Date of visit: April 2017
Jeanie R, Owner at Pappas Restaurant - Parkville, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this review, we greatly appreciate it! We look forward to hosting your group again very soon, we'll see you then! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Reviewed March 28, 2017

I always get the 8 oz crab cake and fries to go. They are always fantastic. A large portion which is all crab meat. No extra filling or extra flavoring, all crab. So, amazing. However, after years of picking up outstanding crab cakes, my friends and I actually got a table for the first time. It was a very disappointing experience. We were forgotten. Then it took 30 minutes for all food to arrive. No one checked on us. No bread to entertain us during our really long wait. The green beans, potatoes, and pasta were all bland. I doubt I will ever go back for a table, but I will keep getting take out.

Date of visit: February 2017
Jeanie R, Owner at Pappas Restaurant - Parkville, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2017

Rudi,
Thank you for letting us know how your recent visit went. We're very sorry to hear the service was not up to the normally high standards we set for ourselves. We appreciate your very kind words about our crab cakes and hope you'll dine in with us again soon. Have a great rest of your week!

Reviewed March 27, 2017

My Daughter and I were in Parkville today and were so excited to try famous crab cakes.
we even called ahead and tried to order by phone to go order, we were on hold for 10 min. We decided to go in and order in person. It was about 5pm and it was Monday , the carry out order window was closed and we had to go inside. there were people there but not too crowded . After a few minutes standing there bartender asked us if we were helped , we asked to order carry out. she pointed to an empty spot with computer and told us the the man will take our order as soon he returns . the mad returned within a few minutes and immediately got on the phone and was taking order for at least 10 min. After he hung up without even looking he left and never returned. we stood there for at least 30 minutes there, even though bartender and waiter seen us no one attempted to get help for us. My daughter was a waitress for 5 years in buffalo wild wings , she was saying that she would be fired if she let a customer to wait that long. On that not we turned around and left without any service. I will never go back , even we were told that they have great crab cakes . Very disappointed . Marina S.

1  Thank marinarn2002
Jeanie R, Owner at Pappas Restaurant - Parkville, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2017

Marina,
We’re very sorry to hear your first experience with us was not handled the way we expect our team to serve our guests. We can assure you this is not our way and invite you to reach out to us at pappassportsbar@gmail.com to discuss your visit further. We greatly appreciate it and look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day.

Reviewed March 13, 2017 via mobile

Great restaurant. Especially the seafood. I had Orange Roughy stuffed with Crap Imperial and steamed lima beans. My wife had crab cakes which were awesome as well. We had a sampler for an appetizer.

Well worth the visit. The place was packed and reservations are are a good idea.

Date of visit: March 2017
Jeanie R, Owner at Pappas Restaurant - Parkville, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2017

Shannon,
Thank you for leaving us a review and walking us through your meals! We love hearing what our guests are most enjoying at Pappas, the crab cakes are definitely a fan favorite! We'll see you next time, thanks again!

Reviewed March 3, 2017

Crab cakes full of crab, nothing like I had scene before and very good. Friendly staff, crowded with locals. Certainly recommended.

Date of visit: March 2017
Jeanie R, Manager at Pappas Restaurant - Parkville, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2017

Bill, thank you for this great review! We are definitely a popular place for the locals but we love seeing new faces enjoying our famous crab cakes! They are always served hot and heavy with crab meat! Come back soon and enjoy more! Have a great day!