“Very nice Afghan food”
Review of The Helmand

The Helmand
Reserve with OpenTable
The Helmand is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 2,238 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Mount Vernon
Cross street: Monument
Description: Providing Baltimore with fine Afghan cuisine for over 23 years.
Reviewed September 13, 2017

Came here on at Saturday night before a play. We were seated promptly and given menus.

This place has a greater variety of Afghan dishes than other restaurants that I've been to.

We shared two appetizers - Aushak and pumpkin. The server asked if we wanted naan with it. We said yes. Two problems - what I think of as naan is not what they think of it. It was what I've usually heard called just "Afghan bread." Also, she didn't mention that it was an extra $4.50 for the bread.

The appetizer portions were quite small - one solitary aushak in sauce and a small amount of the pumpkin. It was all decent tasting.

Two of us had a lamb stew with mushrooms and tomatoes. The lamb was pretty tender but I could have just eaten the mushrooms and been perfectly happy with it.

The other two had chicken kabobs. They said it was nicely flavored but they have had more tender chicken at other places.

The wine list here is quite good. There are a lot of interesting wines and they are fairly priced - not something I'm used to in Baltimore!

Service was a bit on the slow side, but it WAS Saturday night and the place was full.

The acoustics were a problem - the noise level was quite high which made it hard to carry on a conversation.

Overall, I give it a solid "B."

Reviewed September 10, 2017

We have been to this lovely place since it opened, some 27+ years ago and never had bad meal there. Having tried everything on their menu, I think the lamb dishes are the best. The price has been adjusted recently (to me) so that it's no longer a steal but still reasonable. The place is casual enough that you don't need to dress up but warm and formal enough for a special occasion. It used to too crowded for business dinner but it was less so on our recent visit. When I realized that I have been eating before our waitress was born, I thought...what a great way to age!

Reviewed September 10, 2017

Though not necessarily and adventurous diner, we attended with several couples. The meals are flavorful, and not just the same old dishes. For the level quality of the food and level of service, the price is quite reasonable. The service was top notch for our group of eight. The restaurant seems busy all of the time. The location is about a mile north of Baltimore's Inner Harbor and just a few blocks south of Penn Station. If you have a reason to visit Baltimore, this is a worthwhile stop. Parking can be a bit difficult, so using the valet is recommended.

Reviewed September 7, 2017 via mobile

Excellent food. Lovely atmosphere. This is a treat to have as part of what Baltimore can offer as a sampling from around the world. I've not had a bad meal here. Service is great. No time or desire to sit in and dine? The take-out is great too! Don't miss this gem in Baltimore!

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

I live in the neighborhood and this place is truly special. I take everyone when they come to visit. Get the pumpkin appetizer