“Going To The Baltimore Museum of Art - Eat At Gertrude’s”
Review of Gertrude's

Gertrude's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gertrude's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 2,391 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Charles St.
Reviewed January 14, 2018

Celebrated my Daughters 40th birthday with her Husband and 6 year old daughter. Made reservations for Saturday Brunch. The restaurant is on ground floor of the Baltimore Art Museum. There’s a coat rack available so you won’t need to struggle with bulky winter coats. The Greeter is warm and friendly. The menu includes options for all. It has kid friendly choices. There’s an area which features unique cushioned seating. My 6 year old Granddaughter and other children enjoyed sitting there. That area also had 18x18 beautifully decorated pillows placed to aid in seating comfort. Crab cakes are excellent. I love fried oysters, and these do not disappoint. Fresh and Scrumptious. Orange juice is fresh squeezed. Did I mention tables are white table cloth covered. But no worries with kids because there is a white paper covering on top. The noise level is what you’d expect for brunch. You can hear each other but not guests at other tables. The service is excellent. Attention to detail is shown with the filling of water glasses and topping off of coffee. When asked about menu items, the server explained or got further information and promptly relayed to us. I know I will have to return to try more menu items. It’s well worth driving from Gaithersburg to Baltimore to experience Gertrude’s over and over again.

Reviewed January 9, 2018 via mobile

This holiday the two visits were before Christmas and the day after New Years Day. The Tuesday after New Year's Day was perfect and quiet. Many people did not show up so we pretty much had the place to ourselves at 5pm. Eric is our favorite waiter and the hostess remembers that. My sister originally wasn't coming and then 25 minutes later she did meet us for dinner. My daughter was so so happy to see her. The staff kindly and quickly moved us to a table for 3-4 persons. The holiday decorations were still up and the lighting was perfect. My daughter says she's having her wedding reception there. (Lol. She's 20 years old and has never been on a date before.) I asked which Baltimore townhouse won the art competition but they hadn't chosen it yet. The crab cake special was ordered by 2 of us and it was yum yum. I recommend Gerties for anytime of the year. Thanks Mr Shields and staff for the Garden Cafe Tuesday's!!

Gertie S, Guest Relations Manager at Gertrude's, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're delighted you were able to join us during the holidays. It's always our favorite time. Voting for the house was incredibly close this year but house #2 won out by a few votes (2nd from the end nearest the hostess station). That was the house with the beautiful silver front and back and silver spires coming out of the roof.

Hope you'll come back to see us soon and tell your daughter we'll be waiting to do her wedding when she find the right person!!!

Gertie.

Reviewed January 7, 2018 via mobile

We were looking forward to a special evening being that it was New Year’s Eve . They were having live music & a place for dancing. Dinner was a set menu with a choice in each category. The place was beautifully decorated, but alas the food was disappointing. Our waiter had too many tables to take care off, & even though we were seated first, we were served last! Based on our experience I would not recommend going there for a special occasion . I have eaten there many times for lunch which was great...for the price we payed for New Year’s Eve, it was not worth it, sorry to say....

Reviewed December 26, 2017

Excellent restaurant to visit when spending time at the art museum. The salmon Alla Bella
with asparagus and multigrain-wild rice pilaf was fantastic for the price and went well with the South African white wine.

Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

If you were looking for a unique experience definitely had to Gertrude's. Chef and Owner John Shields has a magnificent way of both preparing and presenting deductible plates.

On my most recent visit we stopped in for brunch. You most certainly do need a reservation as this is one of the most popular places to be for Sunday brunch. We started with a flight of mimosas some very unique with pomegranate juice or mold cider. Then on to brunch where we dined on John's famous crab cakes Benedict's Style...pefecto. The oysters this day were absolutely amazing, sweet and juicy. What an amazing array of foods to tempt the palate.

The service was impeccable the Ambiance is phenomenal especially with the lovely keyboard player and saxophone just enough to present a warm and inviting Sunday morning.

After we were done with our leisurely brunch, we headed up to the second floor of the museum and we're treated to a magnificent display of Picasso Monet Matisse and so much more.

What a great sensory experience. This was truly the art of food.