“Over Priced Over Hyped”
Review of La Scala

La Scala
Reserve with OpenTable
La Scala is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 2,419 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Cross street: S. Central/Exeter
Transit: We offer a complimentary shuttle service to and from all downtown hotels.
Description: Chef owned and operated Italian casual fine dining restaurant located in historic Little Italy. Home of Baltimore's only indoor bocce ball court. We offer a complimentary shuttle to the surrounding area and in walking distance to Harbor East, Inner Harbor and Fells Point.
Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

I visited La Scala for the first time in a long while this past Friday PM. This was probably my fifth visit in the last five or six years. With each visit the price goes up, and the quality goes down.

On this trip my wife and I each had the Chicken Parmigiana (about $23 each), and shared a house speciality grilled Caesar salad. We had the salad as the waiter said t would serve two. Each of us received maybe four or five skimpy pieces of romaine. Salad did not include red onions or croutons or tomatoes. I am glad as I sit here now cannot remember the price of his pitiful salad. I can certainly make grilled caesar on my own that tastes better.

The chicken parmigiana came and the portion was adequate. The side pasta that came with it was not. For $23 you’d think the side pasta would be a fair portion. The chicken was ok at best. For $23 it should be more than just ok. Again I can make a better tasting chicken parmigiana then La Scala.

Since we had a party of 6 we were charged automatically 20% for the tip. I thought 15% was standard? While the service was fine it did not warrant a $100 automatic tip.

Including wine and tip each couple paid approximately $160 per couple for very average food. No wonder on a Friday night the place was half empty.

On the way out the hostess seemed annoyed that members of our party took more than one Andes mint chocolate at the hostess stand. For $160+ per couple I’ll take as many as I want La Scala.

There is a reason I rarely go here and this confirmed why. It is overpriced and expense for food that you can make yourself at home. The whole point to go out to a “upper end” restaurant is to have food you can’t replicate at home. This food can easily be done at home. Save yourself $80/person and stay home.

2  Thank Chrisfr0mMD

Reviewed October 1, 2017

A little noisy when they are playing indoor bocci however, the food quality and service are excellent. Ask for Antonio for your server. He is old school Italian and made the dining experience spectacular.

Reviewed September 26, 2017

small, cozy place with a bocce ball court! We had an early reservation because we were going to a ball game. Food was delicious and nice reasonable portions. The chef and his mom came table side to check on our meals. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

Visited with another couple on a busy Saturday night. First thing, they offer a free shuttle from your hotel. My wife and shared the salumeria appetizer. We chose two cheeses and the prosciutto. It was excellent. My wife had the veal special and I had the veal saltimbucca. They were both very good. My sister had veal marsala and my brother in law had pasta with shrimp. Service was very good . We took a walk around the neighborhood after dinner. Highly recommend!

Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

My sister and I went to La Scala for happy hour last night and the food and drinks were incredible. I can't believe what we enjoyed for $6 each. Delicious espresso martinis and cosmos. Perfect fried mozzarella with homemade tomato sauce and artichokes wrapped in prosciutto. And some very garlicky and yummy green beans and potato. I am used to your standard happy hour food and cheap drinks. This was so above the rest, it was ridiculous. And a great bargain! Someday we'll have to return for a full meal. I'm sure it's equally delicious. Oh, and our bartender and everyone we came into contact with was super friendly, attentive, and professional. They really made us feel taken care of. This visit was a true treat.

Been to La Scala? Share your experiences!