“great place, neighborhood gem, nice value”
Review of Salt

Salt
Ranked #112 of 2,035 Restaurants in Baltimore
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“great place, neighborhood gem, nice value”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

really liked this place. perfect mix of laid back but professional and classy, friendly staff.

had drinks before, wife had their cosmo, and I had a cinammon infused old fasion and really enjoyed it

foodwise, we shared everything among the 4 of us and not a thing was so-so

STARTERS

2 x Foie Gras & Wagyu Beef Slider with truffle aioli and red onion marmalade ($15) - decadent and I don't even really have to say this since you've read the description, but delicious. To match the texture, get your burger medium or below

Duck Fat French Fries with a trio of aioli ($9) - a house staple, and honestly this was one of the 1st places in Baltimore to have this on the menu when it opened. crunchy and addiciting

Wild Mushroom "French Toast" crispy pork belly, vanilla balsamic ($9) - classy 'breakfast for dinner' twist. Pork was crunchy, giving a bacon reminder to us. I had it without the balsamic

ENTREES

Rabbit Confit and Ramp Gnocchi, English peas, baby carrots, cipollini onions, shaved pecorino ($24) - didn't love it, but enjoyed the spin on the gnocchi

Grilled Prime 10 oz. 30 Day Aged New York Strip Steak Cheddar potato puree, pickled mushrooms, chimichurri, broccolini ($30) - steak done perfectly, best entree. And I liked the chmiichurri. did the pickles separate as a palate cleanser.

Chorizo Stuffed Grilled Quail Swiss chard, roasted chick peas, golden raisins ($24) - light but flavorful.The spice was offset by the raisins. Nice reminder of my trips to the Maghreb region.

parking can be a pain...don't gamble, just go 2 blocks to Paterson Park and walk back over.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Damian C

Washington, DC
“Very good place; however read on to know what to eat”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Perfect location a block away from Patterson Park; friendly, and overall superb service; some menu items are absolute top notch - but not all.

Below is our impression of the food we had:

What we absolutely loved: Venison Tartare, Wild Mushroom "French Toast", Roasted Halibut Filet, Foie Gras & Wagyu Beef Slider, Seared Day Boat Sea Scallops, Grilled Rock Fish, Banana-based dessert (forgot the exact name).

What was above average: Duck Fat French Fries (keep in mind, though - these are still just french fries, no matter how excellent); Dungeness Crab Ravioli; Salted Mousse dessert, cauliflower grits from Pan Roasted Amish Chicken Breast.

What was average: Spicy Grouper Ceviche.

Below average: Goat cheese-based dessert, chicken from Pan Roasted Amish Chicken Breast.

Overall - highly recommend.

• Visited April 2012
Hampstead, Maryland
“Excellent Staff and Food”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The service is friendly, efficient, and definitely not pretentious (and not hovering but they keep an eye out in case you need something). They are also extremely accommodating - my husband is a condiment-phobe and they managed to adjust the dishes perfectly so he didn't have anything 'ooky or gross' on his plate........lol. He had venison tartare to start, the scallops, and a magnificent salted chocolate mousse for desert (I wish I had gotten that one). I had the fois gras/wagyu beed slider - to die for - and we shared the duck fat fries (the fries are excellent and should be the standard for every other restaurant or fast food joint but they're not better than what I make at home, cooked in peanut oil). For an entree I had the tuna encrusted with coriander and pepper, extremely tender. I did not like the seaweed salad that came with it, very rubbery (of course that's my first seaweed salad so maybe that's the way it's supposed to be). For desert I had the infamous goat cheese donuts - I was very surprised that it was so sweet, too sweet for me. I had anticipated a less sugary desert partly because of the goat cheese.. The menu had changed since I looked on their web site so I was a little disappointed that I couldn't find the boar pasta. Be warned that parking is a nightmare- you'd better bring your smallest vehicle (street parking only) and that the noise level on the restaurant side is relatively high because there are no soft furnishings to dampen the sound. The bar was a lot more quiet. We would definitely go back and maybe eat on the bar side.

• Visited March 2012
New York
“Best Damned French Fries Ever!”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stoppped by this place after going to the Delmarva peninsula for a visit. I had the the Braised Boar Pasta which was great.
But what really blew us away was the the Duck Fat French Fries. Their taste is beyond compare. It is a very rich taste (Also probably high in fat and calories). It is worth the trip just for them.
Like some other great places in Baltimore, the parking is tough to find. If you live near to the restaurant or use transit, you'll be OK.

• Visited March 2012
Shelton, Washington
“Treat Yourself”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

An excellent dining experience in the heart of the best dining and accomodations. A special evening with a wine list that offers outstanding wine flights and wine by the glass to accompany some of the best food served in the DC/Baltimore region. The tasting menus are memorable but every entree we sampled in our annual visits to Salt were worthy of the time and money spent on the evening. Salt is "slow food" with affection and attention to both the food and the guest.