“Property - A, Location - A, Food - A, Service - D”

Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Property - A, Location - A, Food - A, Service - D”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The property is wonderful, especially the public spaces. It is very apparent through the staffing that the management's strategy is all about the property and golf, but not about service.

Food service in restaurant/bar/pool areas:
On two occasions were actually ignored/not even asked if we needed help (once in the bar, once at the pool) One person was covering the pool area at lunch time on a 85 degree sunny day, and he could not keep up with everyone. The next day the conference had left, they had 2 waiters, and it was better; service was very polite and the food was excellent. We had an agonizingly slow but delicious breakfast at the Aqua Star restaurant (again last day of the conference); the waitress was very nice and helpful with our toddler. There were simply not enough servers or people cleaning up the tables, and when we left the restaurant, we were insulted by our observation of two hotel staff having a long conversation about how to rearrange the framed golf photos on the wall by the restaurant. All of the food (lunch and dinner at the bar and breakfast at Aqua Star) we had though was excellent.
Housekeeping:
They never got to our room the first day we were there (and out most of the day until 3 p.m.), even after we called at 2:30. The housekeeper did stop by and hand us a few fresh towels and an extra bar of soap. Also, dishes were left in the hallway from room service for hours on one day. We complained about housekeeping on checkout and were offered a sincere apology and extra Starwood points.

The property is lovely, with an amazing view of Savannah's riverfront. The property staff were really on top of things, with no litter and plenty of available towels. They seemed very on top of keeping the property clean too during the first Friday Oyster Roast. Our child really enjoyed the spraying fountains area, and the hotel was very kid-friendly. All in all, we would consider staying at the property again; we just wouldn't want to be too dependent on Westin service, and would venture off the property for more meals.

Room Tip: Corner room is a nice bet: even if you're not river side you'll get some river viewing in.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
WestinSav, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Savannah for your recent visit. I am pleased to hear such nice compliments about the resort and the property staff. It is nice to know how much your child enjoyed some of our kid friendly ammenities.
I apologize for the issues you encounted with our food service and housekeeping and I want to assure you that your experience is certainly not typical of the quality of service and hospitality we offer our guests. Corrective steps have been taken, as a result of your situation to preclude a recurrence to future guests. Once again, thank you for your feedback as it is through concerned guests that we are able to make improvements. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you this way.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2012

There was a package stay which offered dinner, entertainment & fireworks over the river. The view right from the balcony of our room was fantastic!!! We didn't even have to fight the traffic. Around the holidays there was also a gingerbread house contest display in the lobby of the hotel with numerous fantastic themes. We also stopped @ Huey"s on the water for THE BEST shrimp gumbo I EVER tasted over rice.
There is a free complimentary water taxi leaving eery 30min to take you across to the city hub.
The "Pink House Restaurant" is a must. Each room has it's color or theme name. Ask for a window seat when you call for reservations. Everything has an air of hospitality here! I hope you enjoy!

Room Tip: If Westin offers "birth year rates", the first night is regular charge, then the following...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
WestinSav, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful visit with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had such a nice time. We do have a wonderful New Year's Eve package and I am glad to know you were able to share it with us. Our Gingerbread contest was the best ever and we are hoping this year to make it even better. We hope you will be able to return this New Year's Eve and ring in 2013 with us!
Reviewed 3 April 2012

It could be mating season, but I doubt it. My wife and I returned to the resort (via ferry) after sunset to find the entire pool area COVERED in Tree Roaches! A ball of them floated in the pool. It was so bad that we all had to run into the building to keep them from running up your leg. My wife and kids made this same trip last year and said it was worse then. They mentioned it at the front desk which not only is a problem they are aware of but obviously are not interested in addressing. Nice hotel.....FIX THIS DAMN PROBLEM!!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Btt2130
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I apologize that you felt that we were not interested in addressing this issue. Our front desk staff immediately reported the issue to our Director of Engineering who in turn called in a professional pest control company. At 4:30 am that morning, the entire pool area and every inch of the grounds of the hotel were sprayed and our Director of Engineering completed a final inspection to ensure everywhere was completely bug free. We value you as a guest and want you to know that we take your concerns very seriously. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Morton, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Savannah Harbor for a business meeting. The hotel was very clean and beautiful. We really enjoyed lounging by the pool and the staff there took great care of us! I enjoyed watching the huge cargo ships sailing past as we lounged by the pool. There is a five minute ferry ride to the riverfront and about a five minute walk to the fitness center or they have a shuttle to the fitness center. The weather in late March was wonderful, 80 and sunny 4 of the 5 days we were there!

Room Tip: We had a corner room, which was very quiet and had a great view!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing the Westin Savannah and for sharing such nice comments. I am glad you and your wife had such a nice visit, and we hope you will consider staying with us again should travels ever bring you this way again.
United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Had a lovely 3-day weekend to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday in this solidly comfortable hotel. Property was busy, but luckily there was no conference going on so didn't experience the overcrowding that other reviewers have mentioned.

Yes, you will pay an extra daily rate to park a car. However, being across the river was probably more quiet than downtown Savannah (where you also pay to park) and I was impressed with the soundproofing in the individual rooms. The sounds of a fussy baby and loud music in adjacent rooms faded once we closed the door. I'm glad I read the Tripadvisor reviews and paid a bit extra for a water-view room; watching the container ships, tug boats, and hotel ferry on the river was fun, and the view of Savannah across the water was lovely. We also enjoyed riding the ferry across the river for dinner in the city.

Plus, we got a birds-eye view of some Other People's Weddings from our 8th-floor windows. Congratulations, kids--it was a beautiful event! Happiness always.

Room Tip: Do get a river-view room; the view is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
WestinSav, Public Relations Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share such nice comments. I am happy you chose The Westin Savannah to celebrate your husband's birthday. The view of Savannah and the river truly is amazing and It is nice to hear that you both enjoyed it. We look forward to having you return in the future to celebrate many more birthdays with us.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband & I just returned from a 6 day conference at the Westin, Savannah. We were very excited to stay at this hotel - the location seemed ideal, the grounds beautiful & the reviews (for the most part) were positive.

Although the hotel itself is beautiful, I cannot say our visit was a positive one.

Some of the issues/frustrations we experienced:

* There was only 4 elevator shafts for the 16 floors, 403 guestrooms. As a result there was always a huge line & wait. Most of the people at the conference got frustrated with waiting and ended up taking the stairs to their rooms. We were only on the 3rd floor, so this wasn't a problem for us, but I felt bad for the other people I saw, hiking babies and strollers up 7 flights of stairs.
* There is a ferry that leaves from the hotel to take you across the waterway to the historic district. We were misinformed regarding ferry times TWICE by hotel staff. One time this resulted in us being late to an important client dinner.
* The hotel does not have taxi's readily available (as do most hotels of this size). One night when we asked for a taxi we were told that it would be a 20 minute wait! Knowing that they have a full hotel and are hosting a conference should the hotel not have at least a few taxi's on stand by! As a result we were late for another client dinner.
* The gym is not is the actual hotel building. It is on the hotel property but you have to take the shuttle or walk to it. For a hotel of this size, the gym is tiny! Every time we tried to use it, every piece of equipment was being used and we had to wait. Made for a long, slow work out.
* One day I was by myself (my husband was out golfing) and I had decided to go over to the historic district & wonder around. I asked the concierge for some recommendations on where to walk around and she immediately started the hard sell on doing one of the trolley tours. I explained to her that we had already purchased tickets for one the next day & she started interrogating me about how I should have purchased it through the hotel. Kind of an annoying encounter.
* There was at least a 10 person line up at the Starbucks counter every morning - very slow service & obviously under staffed.
*Tiny pool area. I counted and there were only 35 chairs around the pool - good luck finding a place to ist if the hotel is busy. I didn't even try since people were already camped out there at 7am.

I feel that most of the issues we experienced with the hotel (i.e. busy gym, slow elevators) were due to the hotel not being equipped to host a conference of this size. I definitely got the impression that they were unprepared & under staffed. Maybe if we had visited the hotel on our own & not during a conference we may have had a different experience, but disappointing none the less.

3 Thank canadian_gurl2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at our hotel. I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas. It is our goal to provide the highest quality in both product and service, and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. We are all committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing. Again, thank you for taking the time to write. I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly in the future.
Mississauga, Ontario
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We were at the Westin Harbor Savannah for a conference with two of our children ages 10 and 6. The hotel was beautiful and clean. Rooms were comfortable and the heavenly shower was great. Maid service was quick and prompt to clean our room in the morning. We had fabulous weather for March and spent most of our time by the heated salt water pool. The hotel was full due to the conference and St. Patrick's day celebrations, so if you were not at the pool before 10am you wouldn't get a lounge chair. Getting food at the pool takes some time, so order early. It took at least 30 mimutes to receive our food everytime we ordered at the pool.
Overall, the Westin met our expectations during our lovely stay in Savannah.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. St. Patrick's Day in Savannah is a very popular event and this year was the largest we have experienced in many years. I am happy to know that you were able to participate and stay with us during this festive occasion. We recently opened Escape Pool Bar and Grill and we are receiving wonderful feedback from our guests about it's great food and wonderful service. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will return and stay with us again in the future.