“Nice rooms, other areas lacking, could be a 4”

Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #44 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
PA
“Nice rooms, other areas lacking, could be a 4”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and we were very pleased with our room with 2 queen beds that was spacious and clean, with frig and microwave, newer fixtures and would rate it a 4 to 4.5. There were other factors that influenced the 3 instead of a solid 4 rating, including the valet parking which was inconvenient. The service was fine, the car was brought out promptly, but we prefer to self park our vehicle and not have to leave the keys with someone, and this was not an option here, plus you are charged a daily parking fee and the attendants expect to be tipped every time they bring your car. The hallway from the elevator to our room was never vacuumed the entire stay, and I know this because I passed by the same bobby pin and plastic clothes tag on the floor coming and going every day. Some people might not have noticed this, but I do notice these little things and I think it is unacceptable that the hallways are not cleaned often considering all the foot traffic that passes through. After leaving Savannah, my family continued south and stayed in a number of hotels along the way that all had cleaner hallways. I guess this is where they are cutting corners hoping people will not notice?
This hotel is a bit of a distance from areas of interest, although it was not an issue but it may be for others who plan a visit to Savannah. There is a trolley stop a few feet away.
Management could easily earn a rating of a 4 or higher if they improved on the points mentioned above, but again, the room itself was very nice.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 3rd floor with windows on 2 sides and it was nice and bright! Although y...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank songbird5212
SebastianPeralta, Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We always welcome feedback from our guests. This gives us the opportunity to improve and make sure we are meeting the needs of our guests. I will be sharing your comments with the staff and addressing the issues you have mentioned.

cy.savdt.ops1@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The stay was not what I expect there is no free breakfast they charge u for local phone calls that they dont tell u about I thought they were going to charge us for extra sheets they didnt have any extra blankets there not to polite at the front desk they charge u for valet and tell u there's no other place to park and calling for things u need u have to call up to the front desk two and three times before someone shows up and they charge u an extra 100.00 for any extra miscellances I have learn my lesson and will never stay here again a lesson learn for the money u give them Fatimah Ricks

• Stayed April 2012
I would like to thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay at our hotel. It is our goal to meet the needs of all of our guests and it appears your needs were not met. This was certainly an isolated incident and we look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Savannah,

Atlanta
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The staff here is so great! They were ready to help in any situation. We, our family of 4, booked using priceline so we had no control over the room ammenities. Although we made a phone call to request a room with 2 beds, we ended up in a room with a King and a sleeper sofa. Not the best place for my 70 year old mother and they were unable to change it. Parking was a little inconvienent but the valets were always nice and helpful. We did not eat there so I can't rate the food. The room was clean and comfortable but awfully small.

Room Tip: The rooms with King bed and sleeper sofa are small for more than 2 people.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our great staff. It always appreciated when guests take the time to share feedback. The staff strive to achieve guest satisfaction and was happy to hear we were able to meet your needs.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was our 3rd stay here at the invite of the manager after our last stay in Oct. He told us they were upgrading the property and to come back in the Spring when it was finished to check it out. Room was fine, we had 2 queen beds and carpet looked newer. Doors on closet did not slide easily and made a lot of noise when opening. Every time the toilet was flushed the vanity sink gurgled like the water was running from the toilet through it. I don't think this hotel has great plumbing since we had trouble with plumbing last time as well. The valet parking situation just stinks. There was no big convention going on but it still took over 20 minutes to get our car on a Saturday morning. And when we returned it they let it sit out for over 30 minutes before they moved it into the garage. This hotel needs more valets and maids since our room was not cleaned until after 12 pm again and we were out of it for over 4 hours, so it was not an access problem. Paint in spa area was bubbling and peeling off wall, maybe they should have used tile for the whole room. Room and hallway were quieter this time but we still got the same view of the bar across the street each time we've booked. Hotel is a short walk to almost everything Savannah has to offer and I felt it was in a safe area. Did not try the breakfast or the nightly drink time so I can't comment on those. Liked the choices of pillows on the beds and the linens were nice. But we will be looking at other properties in the future when we go back.

Room Tip: Ask for pool rooms as they do not face the street and the bar across form hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank we3peas
Thank you for taking the time to accept our offer to return to our hotel after our renovation. Your comments have been helpful and we always welcome feedback from our guests.

Orlando, FL
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We found this hotel on a travel site, but wound up booking directly for a slightly cheaper price. The parking keeps this hotel from getting 5 circles, but it is only a minor inconvenience. A lack of self-parking is annoying. Understandable in a huge city, but not in tiny Savannah.

Skip the hotel restaurant if you are under the age of a million. It was bland, boring and you could tell it catered to an older crowd.

Everything else about this hotel was very pleasant. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and kind. The valets were great and one of them was extremely efficient. I was waiting on my wife one of the mornings and he was on the ball, while not being scary. All of the hotel staff we encountered were very friendly and outgoing.

The location is nice. You can do better if you want to be the heart of it all, but it was nice. It was easy to get around and we had an excellent view from our top floor room.

The room was quiet and clean. It was spacious and everything worked. No complaints = pure win for me. It wasn't luxurious in any way, but it was a very nice room. We felt the value was very good for the money we spent. We got a bit more than a generic place by the highway and a lot less than a fancy place on the river. We paid a bit more than a generic place by the highway and a paid a lot less than a fancy place on the river. Perfect.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor, king room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Poncho1973
Angela Small, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District

April 17, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the recent stay at our hotel. We always welcome feedback from our guest. with parking being so limited in downtown valet is usually the best option. We look forward to serving you on your next trip to Savannah.

CLEARWATER
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I found this hotel to be very clean and comfortable. It certainly was a convenient walking distance from all the places I wished to visit. As I did not have a car, that was very helpful. I also did not need to use the trolley or bus line, but I do like to walk, so that may not hold true for everyone. The railroad museum is right over the road, as is the Savannah History Museum and the visitor center. Armed with just a street map, I never got lost and the hotel is easy to get back to at the end of the day. I came via Amtrak, and it was only a $9 cab fare, not including the tip; an easy 10 minute ride.
My room was very comfortable and clean. The only down sides were my view ( of an empty work yard ) and the rather lackluster breakfast bar. It's $9.95, and while the staff was friendly and efficient, you can do better elsewhere. There is a lounge, where drinks are served, and an outside courtyard to relax in. All in all, a very good experience. i

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank winthedb

April 17, 2017

Thank you for sharing your comments. It sounds like you had a chance to get out and enjoy our beautiful city. We look forwarding to serving you in the future on your next trip to Savannah.

spring lake
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Reservation made through Hotel.com--check in took over 20 minutes as ththe staff could not find the appropriate hotel.com information. Hotel.com had failed to do its job. Hotel management took care of the annoying Hotel.com problem.

Hotel is excellent, service wonderful and within easy walkinfg distance to all of the sights. Recommend it highly, but DO NOT BOOK THROUGH HOTEL.COM.

Room Tip: Higher better views-ask for terrace
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

April 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I was disappointed to hear the check in took 20 minutes. In the future you can call the hotel directly and we can assist you with making your reservations in the future.