“Great Find-Not Touristy”

Price range: US$1 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Nestled in the heart of the Historic District between The Lucas & Trustees Theaters.
Reviewed July 15, 2018

A friend and I walked the historic town of Savannah and came across The District Cafe. The sign stating they had a German chocolate cheesecake got us in the door. The place is not much to look at. Don't let that stop you. The food is far from basic and really quite good.

I had a ham and cheese panini with a blueberry compote. Really, really good! I got a summer squash soup as my side. Also very tasty. My friend enjoyed his sandwich as well.

For dessert, I had to order the German chocolate cheesecake. Oh, my! My friend ordered the blueberry cobbler. He loved it and he is not a fan of cobbler. Found out the owner's 80ish year old mother makes all of the desserts. She is a master.

They have several local beers on tap and they are kept nice and cold. Service was good. Our waitress was super friendly. Prices seem fair.

The District Cafe is about two blocks from River St., which is all about the tourists. This seems like a more local hangout. Not sure if that is true but that is the vibe I got.

Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

Nice place to stop along Broughton. Only open until 4 or 6 pm during the week depending on the day. Quick and easy. Tables were sticky.

Reviewed July 11, 2018

We stayed down the street and our hotel recommended this as a close by option for lunch. We're glad that we took their advice because the food was great! I had a salad with chicken, apples and nuts, which was amazing. Husband had a large panini type sandwich, which he enjoyed. My kids liked their food as well. The champagne slushie was unique and very tasty. We loved that you can draw with chalk on the table! Good beer and wine selection also.

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

We were driving back through Savannah from Tybee Island on the way to Hilton Head and were looking for something that would suit the varied tastes of the group. We were delighted with this place ~ the adults split a cheeseboard with pepperoni, three different cheeses, hummus, honey, fruit and hot fresh bread ~ it was all delicious and filled us both up. The kids got made to order paninis with chips and gobbled them up quickly. Our waitress was friendly and helpful when making choices and checked on us frequently, but didn’t hover. It was an overall great last lunch in this wonderful, historic town.

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

Great food, pleasant server, nice view of the city streets. The Waffle Lotta Goodness and the Salmon Salad are very tasty and the berry smoothies were a perfect break in our tour of the city.