“Not bad for the price/location” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #36 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Pentwater, Michigan
“Not bad for the price/location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We were in Savannah for the first time and I wanted to stay close to the historic district. The Thunderbird Inn was the the closest to the district that I could find for a decent price. We paid just under $100 per night. Others in the district started at $150 per night. The hotel was walking distance to the tour companies. All in all, our stay was decent.

Pros:
Walking distance from tours
Nearby pizza that was good
Krispy Kreme for breakfast
Price not bad in comparison
Cool, retro feel
Very friendly staff
Free parking

Cons:
A little noisy due to the road right outside our door
Beds sagged a bit in the middle
Our sheets didn't fit and popped off the bed in the middle of the night
Ants on the bathroom counter - got into our toiletry bag
Wireless internet was slow
Understaffed - when we got there to check in, I had to wait about 15 minutes because no one was at the front desk. In the morning, the front desk person was so busy answering phones, the breakfast room was filled with people waiting for donuts and coffee. (This isn't the fault of the employees, there was just too much for 1 person to do)

2 Thank shehug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We booked this room through Hotwire at their hidden destination until booked. After booking I looked at the website and was looking forward to the stay. I also read some reviews and thought it was going to be clean and well cared for. Upon arrival the clerk was friendly and polite. We were given room 116. We had been traveling most of the day and went to eat before settling in for the night. When we got to the room there were numerous things wrong. The brown carpet was stained, the a/c would only come on for a few minutes and turn off. The bathroom had mildew on the grout, the comforters did not match. There was trash behind the chair that was left by someone and the kicker was when my wife turned down the bed there was long hairs on the sheets. We left and didn't stay the night. The pictures and wording on the internet lead you to beleive that the building had been gutted and rebuilt, if that is true...they wasted their money. Will never return to the Thunderbird even for a free weeks stay!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bobby R
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My fiance and I came to Savannah for the first time and wanted to stay someplace where we could walk in town and keep the price tag low (compared to other lodging options in the City). This place more than fit the bill! Walking from here is super easy, the staff are super friendly and the rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The place has a cool retro feel to it (without feeling over the top). If/when we come to Savannah we will be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TimmyTheCat
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

...staying at The Thunderbird Inn. I found a great deal online & called the hotel to ask if they could match it & they sure did!!

Pros: It was less than a block from the tour boarding station so we could walk to catch our trolley. Everyone in town would ask where we were staying & when we told them they had nothing but praise for the Tbird Inn. A pizza joint is right next door in the Welcome Center & they delivered for free. I brought my own shampoo/conditioner, but the first night I tried the stuff the hotel kept in the bathroom & I loved it-never even unpacked mine I brought from home. It all had a tea tree smell & left my skin & hair so clean & soft. There was even face wash. The beds are AMAZING!! So comfortable!! I could literally go on and on...

Cons: The WiFi was somewhat slow & iffy, as if it didn't always want to connect-but I didn't come on vacation to Google. I never did see a Moon Pie as advertised, but that was the last thing I needed after all of the eating I did in the city. Barking dogs in the room next door woke me up a few times the 1st night, but I am sure they were just nervous.

All in all, we WILL be back-and with our dogs next time. They would have loved the trip!!

Room Tip: If you don't have pets or smoke be sure to ask for a pet free/smoke free room because there are...
2 Thank CorrineSays
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The Thunderbird Inn is a key component for the green, budget-conscious visitor to Savannah, GA. Here's the formula: Greyhound Bus + Thunderbird Inn + Bike Rental = a vacation light on the wallet and your carbon footprint.

Greyhound has a new Express Bus from Atlanta to Savannah. These are luxury coaches equipped with power outlets and WiFi. By booking in advance, my wife and I got round trip fare for two for $37!! (at a time when gas is over $4 per gallon). If the vision of the typical bus terminal leaves you with the shivers, you can depart from the Atlanta Airport. Greyhound has a terminal there. That makes the experience akin to catching a plane, which are just big buses with wings, anyway.

The Thunderbird Inn is just across the street from the Savannah Greyhound Bus Terminal, so you can walk right over without calling a taxi. Savannah's Tourist Assistance Portal (TAP) has a $75 per night rate for the Thunderbird from Sunday - Wednesday. I challenge you to find a better rate in Historic Downtown Savannah. Most rooms are going to cost you double that. And the clean, funky, retro vibe of the Inn is the icing on the doughnut. Did I mention they’ve got Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast?

You can rent bikes from the Bicycle Link bike shop that is ½ mile walk from the Inn. Bikes are $20 per day. We got two days for $35. Savannah is supremely walkable and bikeable. Touring by bicycle is much preferred to auto. With it's many embedded parks, the city is a hassle to navigate by car, and you miss many of the rich little details of one of the best planned cities in the country. Then there’s parking.

The location and excellent room rates of The Thunderbird Inn make it all possible.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Burke S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Nice place when traveling with dogs and kids. Our air conditioning unit was not working properly after we had checked into our room. The young lady at the front desk promptly moved us to another room and all was great.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

this place was great! the front desk staff, Leo and Leslie, were so nice and so helpful! they really went out of their way to make us feel welcome, were super bubbly and fun, and were a great welcoming committee. the rooms are small, but very clean and the location is perfect to hop on your bike and head to the historic district, and the price is very reasonable. i loved this place and will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: i booked through orbitz and the room was about $20 cheaper than thunderbirds website.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends