“Worth the wait?”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: No trip to Savannah is complete without a visit to Leopold's Ice Cream! Named One of the Top 10 Ice Cream Parlors in the World, Leopold's is a "Must-Do." You'll love our retro ice cream parlor, complete with old-fashioned soda fountain & friendly soda jerks. You'll also experience a little piece of Hollywood in Savannah as you peruse Stratton Leopold's collection of film posters and props from films he has worked on over his 45 plus years in the movie industry! Leopold's Ice Cream was founded in 1919 by three brothers from Greece. They learned the art of candy and dessert from an uncle who had settled in America. The brothers perfected their secret formulas and created the now world-famous Leopold's VeriBest™ ice cream. Our ice cream is made in historic, Downtown Savannah, one batch at a time, using family recipes handed down from the Leopold brothers. With our full soda fountain menu & more than 28 flavors available at any given time, we've got something just for you!
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

old style decor, nice staff and good selection of flavors. If you have the time, it's worth the wait (over an hr for me).

1  Thank Erin P
Write a ReviewReviews (9,448)

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Great service. Great ice cream. Great atmosphere! Workers were extremely friendly and even though there was a line, it went very quickly and a worker brought ice water and menus out to the people in line. I got coconut ice cream with hot fudge and I must have said 20 times how good it was while I was eating it!
This place did not disappoint!

1  Thank Gerdys
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Very tasty ice cream. My son loved it. I tried different flavors and they were all great. The coffee ice cream is remarkable and the chocolate chip was delicious. We will return when we visit savannah in the future.

1  Thank Yatxenia C
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I recently visited Savannah on a weekend trip with my daughter and 9 year old Granddaughters. Luckily we had been warned by a tour guild that the lines could get long, especially during peak hours. We waited until after 8:00 pm before attempting to get what apparently is some of the best ice cream in the world. As we approached the shop, I could see the long line and thought to myself oh no, but did not have the heart to disappoint the girls. To my amazement the line moved very quickly and we were served in 25 minutes. A friendly staff member was outside offering ice water to those in line, and also a menu to drool over while waiting. The service was outstanding . Swiftly and efficiently we were served some of the best ice cream I have ever tasted! Well worth the wait! I would highly recommend a trip to Leopold’s when visiting Savannah. You won’t be sorry!

1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I tried the chocolate-chocolate chip and the coffee-chocolate chip. The chocolate as almost too rich to eat. The coffee was terrific. I was disappointed in the chocolate chips. This ice cream was terrific and the chocolate chips were made of cheap waxy chocolate. This ice cream is so good that they should not go second class on anything else.
They need to do something about the time waiting in line. There will be a lot of customers for the great ice cream, but the line is slow. It seems that too many customers get to the point where they should be ordering and they have no idea what they want. Management has to work on the customer to get them ready to order quickly.

Stratton L, Owner at Leopold's Ice Cream, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2018

Dear twitham1973,
Thank you for the 4-star review. I'm glad you enjoyed the ice cream and I appreciate your feedback on the chocolate chips.
Please come back and see us anytime.