All reviews guest house main building historic district no elevator continental breakfast separate building antique furniture yogurt flights of stairs parking spot poster bed jacuzzi tub ghost stories quiche sitting room third floor room was large
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was such a fun experience for my friend and I. We had just a night but the 1790 was quirky and fun. The ground floor reception area is dark and almost feels like you have stepped by into the 1700's in a good way. We didn't get to eat in the dining room, which is visible from the reception area, but will do that next time. It looks so cozy with 2 fireplaces, brick walls, cut tables and the menu looked excellent.

I booked super late and got a queen bedroom, which was large and had a nice sofa area. The bed was comfortable and the room and bathroom very clean. We were out most of the time so I didn't get much ghost action except for early in the morning in the bathroom the light fixture over the sink became very bright, then vary dim. I tend to think it was due to older electrical but it was fun just the same. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Found this Inn listed in a book on Country Inns and B & B's. We loved everything about it...the history, atmosphere, decor, fireplace and everyone who works there from owners to bar keeps. Being an Inn, a cold breakfast was served with all the variety and delights including cold OJ, hot coffee, and crescents, danish, muffins, cereal and bagels. We never left hungry. The ground floor houses a restaurant and a cozy bar with friendly locals who were not hesitant to share and delight. A real plus was the parking on the property instead of down the street in a garage or on the street. Very important to us. The bed was comfortable and the room was huge for a great price. Great location, too. Easy walk to everything in historic district. We would have stayed longer if we could have. We plan to return.

Room Tip: Room 201 was quiet and roomy but watch out for the step up to the bed. King bed on a pedestal floor. I put a chair nearby the step at night so I wouldn't fall if I got up sleepily. Queen inside room is probably quietest but we were not disturbed by noise. Light from windows was a bit bright. I will use an eye mask next time.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Can't say enough good things about this hotel. My friend reserved it while we were on a road trip and I was skeptical having never heard of it, and the fact its supposed to be haunted. We ended up not getting there until well after midnight ( several hours after the front desk closed ) and the owner stayed late to check us in. We stayed in the most haunted room (204) they had and while we (or I should say I ) never saw anything unexplainable the room was great. The restaurant was extremely good, and so was the bar. I do have to warn you about the manikin on the second floor. It will scare the hell out of you if your not expecting it (something the owner was very happy to hear when I told him, still a great guy though ). In all it was a great place and have talked with others who’ve stayed there or visited and all have the same opinion. If your going to Savannah and don't mind walking everywhere ( one issue is there parking sucks, not their fault but the problems with an old city) you can't do better then the 17 hundred 90.

Room Tip: 204 was great but all the rooms seemed good. Just so you don't get the wrong idea they don't have a pool (couldn't care less) and I don't remember if they had room service.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were placed in a beautifully restored Victorian dwelling separate from the Inn itself overlooking Oglethorpe Square The place oozed character and history and we saw how it had been lovingly restored.

A bland boxy chain hotel is just so wrong and frankly ugly in downtown Savannah but we accept there will be some who prefer a more modern and uniform hotel experience.

No bivouacing for us but a spacious bedroom suite, fair bathroom and elegant slightly imposing downstairs lounge and dining room (shared with one other bedroom) and grand entrance steps with fine wrought iron railings gave this a wow factor.

There were one or two minor faults which might rightly for some make a 4 star verdict equally fair (fiddly shower fitting, a couple of panes of glass that could have done with a good wipe on the outside etc) but the fine restaurant, the individuality, the friendly staff and owners, the basic saciousness and overall cleanliness and a cracking little bar which reminded us of Cheers made us feel that this was a special hotel and we would definitely choose it again

2  Thank sheremark
Reviewed November 13, 2012

As you can tell by the title, this was our second stay at 17Hundred90Inn. This time we stayed in Room 101. The room was decorated in beautiful time period furniture. The linens were nice and the bed comfortable. The only complaint and not really a complaint but my other half wished for a larger screen television but that's because he's used to a big screen. We were hardly in the room anyway so that's a minor issue. This is by far the one of the best places to stay in the historic district of Savannah. I'm not one to pay outrageous amounts for a room but yet I want to a nice clean room with a wonderful staff and stay at a place where I can walk to everything and 17Hundred90Inn is exactly that and more. The lounge and restaurant is one of the best in town as we've been to some of those others who everyone says is the best but yet we enjoy 17Hundred90Inn better. If you're looking for a nice place to stay and want a true Savannah feel and can handle an inn that doesn't have an elevator, then this is the place to stay. Yes this inn is haunted but don't let that scare you away as that only adds to the charm of this inn. Patrick and his family are great hosts and we hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Make sure you meet the locals that hang out in the lounge each evening if you're there during a weekday. Room 101 is just inside the door so you only have to climb one flight of stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1790innkeeper, Owner at 17 Hundred 90 Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

So glad to have repeat customers leaving with a smile on their face for a second time... And we are slowly transitioning to larger flatscreen TVs each time one neeeds to be replaced.
We look forward to your next visit.