“Some Good Features, But...”

Quality Inn Savannah Historic District
Ranked #84 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 22 August 2017

Okay, let's start with the location, which is very good. It is located next to two much nicer looking hotels, which makes it look much worse from the outside, but it is located very close to many of Savannah's attractions, right at the end of the downtown area and right near the River Street, which has some really cool bars and restaurants and plenty to do. So, you can't really go wrong with where it is located.

If you judge it solely by its outside appearance you will not want to stay there. It looks like a cheap motel with a crummy parking lot attached. When you look at it from the outside you will feel ripped off because it could be fairly costly, but when you step inside you see that it is not half bad. Nothing luxurious, but you get what you paid for. My daughter and I stayed there only for one night and we had two fairly comfortable double beds. We had a TV, bathroom and a fridge. It was not dirty nor was it pristine inside, but not a turn off.

My experience at this hotel was clouded by my time in the breakfast room downstairs, adjacent to the office. They offer a free breakfast and it looks pretty good with eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy being featured. My daughter took her food and sat down. I took mine and then promptly, and accidentally, hit my plate with the cover for the gravy and everything spilled to the floor. I felt terrible about spilling the food and embarrassed by having done it in front of my daughter and another couple that was seated in the room with us.

There was a woman in the room whose job was to clean up and, I think, to refill the food trays when they were empty. Her reaction to my accident made me feel much worse. She rolled her eyes and thrust them toward the heavens (because I meant to make her day start off badly) and she said, "I will clean it up". She said that at least three times, which made it even worse. I just quietly picked up some of the mess and then poured a cup of coffee.

My daughter, who is my favorite person in the world and who is the last person I want to be embarrassed by my actions, told me to get more food but I was so embarrassed by the woman's reaction that I told my daughter I was okay. The man who was sitting with his wife said, "Please get more food. It's good stuff." When I told him I would not, he said, "I'd feel better if you ate". A very nice gentleman. Of course, the woman said nothing except to sigh when she had to pick up my mess, which lasted the entire time that I was in the room with my daughter.

I left and we gathered our things upstairs to check out, went to our car and then went into the office to give up our keys. The woman was standing in the room, talking to the clerk behind the counter, and the conversation immediately ended when I walked in, making me think they had been discussing this big oaf who ruined this poor woman's day. While I was checking out, the woman remained next to the clerk, just staring at me, which made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

So, needless to say, I will not be staying at this hotel ever again. While it was not the worst hotel I ever stayed in, I never felt worse in my entire life while leaving a hotel.

Room Tip: Don't do anything by accident here or you will pay a price.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
NorthPoint78, General Manager at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your concerns. Please accept our apologies as well as our assurance that we will be working to address the concerns outlined in your review. Our staff typically does a terrific job with our guests’ needs, and we are sorry that did not happen in your case. We hope you will give us the chance to serve you better on a future visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

I booked through Hotwire and did the "better deal for a mystery hotel" thing...this did not work out in my favor this trip. The price was not comparable to the product it accompanied.

First of all, Hotwire doesn't say anything about potential parking fees - it's $19.00 a night BTW - (it is listed on the hotel website though). The hotel is very outdated and looks pretty rundown from the outside, but I am willing to look beyond that as long as the room is nice..

It wasn't. The furniture was old and very scratched up. The pictures on the wall were straight out of the 80s landscapes with hideous gold frames...(I'm sorry, probably no one will care about the art on the walls, but your hotel is in one of the most beautiful areas, why not get some pictures from around the city and give your guests a little sneak peak of the city they're going to be staying in). The carpet is stained, old and smelly.

Everything was stained - bed sheets, towels, walls (need a serious paint job), even the shower curtain had gross brown and black stains. These things can't be that expensive that the company is willing to risk guest satisfaction just to avoid spending a few bucks to replace.

Service was acceptable, but not superb. If you're not going to have the best product in town, at least have the best service!

The food was decent for a continental breakfast, they had some good food choices plus the standard buffet things you're used to seeing in equivalent hotels.

Most of the reviews I read seem to mirror my thoughts. I would imagine that management is tired of posting the same apology replies (at least they post replies) and just start making the necessary changes.

At least the bed was comfy... Best of luck in the future, but I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
NorthPoint78, General Manager at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

We are very sorry you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. We strive to maintain the highest standards, not only in service, but also with regards to maintaining the overall look and feel of the hotel as we formulate plans for future renovations.
We hope you will consider staying with us on your next visit to the area so we can better deliver the experience you should always expect from us.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Arriving in town at 03:00 without a reservation is never ideal but we lucked out coming upon the Quality Inn on Bay St. While admitting the curb appeal is not great, we were cheerfully greeted by the night shift clerk who stated that there was a room available and it was only $108. AAA discount? Yes, sir. That brought the room down to under $100. True, there is a charge to park a vehicle but one has to remember that the hotel is right downtown and such a charge has to be expected in any metropolitan area.

The room was clean and everything appeared to work properly. A microwave and fridge were there and appeared to be well maintained. A complimentary breakfast was included in the price.

This is not a luxury hotel but if you are looking for a decent place to stay in the heart of one of the South's most charming and historic cities, this would be a very good choice.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
NorthPoint78, General Manager at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

John, thanks for the wonderful feedback. We are delighted to know your stay with us was perfect and that you found us to be at a great value. It was such a pleasure hosting you at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, and we look forward to serving you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Within feet of Savannah smiles, great area! Customer service was very helpful and polite. We weren't in the actual room much but it was a great price for the location! We will be going back. Abcderghi

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
NorthPoint78, General Manager at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Elizabeth, we are glad to read that we met your expectations of your stay at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District. We are so happy you both were comfortable here and enjoyed the great value we offer in this location. We look forward to welcoming both of you back on your future visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We were driving from North Carolina to Florida and decided that Savannah would be a nice place to break up our drive. We stayed one night. The hotel is in a great location. It was less per night than other properties in the historic district. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Wifi is included. There is a free breakfast. We opted to go out for breakfast but the breakfast looked perfectly acceptable. We had read many reviews of this property so I feel we knew what to expect. We had a 1st floor room not to far from the lobby. It was definitely not..quiet! Bit again, we had done our research and did not really expect it to be quiet! The room was clean and the front desk staff was efficient and helpful. There is a small convenience store right next door and a microwave and small fridge in the room. There is a nightly fee to park but it's no different than anywhere else in the historic district. Once you park, you can walk, taxi or uber which is very convenient. If you are looking for a convenient and reasonable place to lay your head while you explore Savannah, this is a great option.

Room Tip: If you're staying more than one night you might want to ask the staff about a more quiet part of...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
NorthPoint78, General Manager at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Thank you for staying at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District on your way to Florida! We are glad to learn you were impressed not only with our convenient location and outstanding hospitality but also with the value we offer. We greatly appreciate you recommending us online and hope to be your hotel of choice every time you visit our area.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Stayed July 22, 2017 for one night for a quick get away. The location of this Quality Inn was right off the River Walk. We parked our car and walked everywhere. We got to Savannah early and we did ask for early check in if possible, we arrived around 11:30 am, no rooms was available but Donna did check us in and stated she would call me on my cellphone once she had a room ready, we walked over to Broughton street to do some window and some shopping, well within 30 minutes Donna called me to let us know our room was ready. Great job Donna and thank you for the great service. Unfortunately we had an end room where people go to the river. It was a Saturday night. There was much activity right outside our room. People yelling and hollering sounded like they were about to fight. I finally got to sleep around 3 am. If you are a light sleeper or just want a peaceful night sleep, as for a 2nd floor room away from the outdoor patio, that is where all of the smokers go, since this is a smoke free motel. This motel offer free WIFI, breakfast, rooms have a microwave and a fridge and the room we had was very clean. I would stay here again, but not this room 149. Thank you again Donna, excellent customer service and a sweet attitude.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - 2nd floor
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
NorthPoint78, General Manager at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

We appreciate you letting us know Donna went over and above to ensure your requests were properly handled and that you loved our location. We are happy you were pleased with the service at Quality Inn Savannah Historic District, and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you when your travels bring you back this way.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Although paying cash for room, hotel required credit card to cover incidentals ($20)...hotel received cash for total bill and then charged full cost of room and parking to my card ,,,when i asked them to correct the error, they said my bank committed the error, their computer only reflected cash etc...we stayed a second night, again the hotel accepted the cash for full bill and then charged my credit card the full amount...When confronted, they said manager not coming to following day... Both days I called my bank to alert them of possible fradulent charges from the hotel...It took 4 days to resolve...Again Beware if paying cash...check your credit card asap to be sure the correct amount for incidentals is pending.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the situation you describe, as our staff is well trained on the check in procedures with either cash or credit card payments. We are pleased that you found there was not a double billing and hopefully that will regain your confidence in our hotel and our brand. We want our guests to have a quality visit from check in to check out, and we invite you to stay with us again so that you an experience just that.