“Nice menu choices, no draft beer, smoky patio”
Review of Castaways

Castaways
Ranked #194 of 954 Restaurants in Savannah
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

My shrimp were cooked perfectly and served in a good tasting and mildly spicy sauce. They were served over bread slices which got a bit soggy but also made it easier to get all the sauce. My partners shrimp dish was equally good. The staff was pleasant (see below) and attentive. There is a fair selection of bottled beer. Unfortunately, there is a smoking area adjacent to the patio and there can be a fair amount of smoke drifting across your dinner. I asked if they could move the smokers to the mandated distance (10' or reasonable distance) from the entrance and the staff were unable (unwilling?). If we see that again, we won't be back which is too bad.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

This was my second visit to Castaways. We were in Savannah with a large group for a family wedding. I talked a group of about 10 friends into cancelling a reservation at The Old Pink House to drive out to Sandfly and have lunch at Castaways. They were all wondering why I insisted when we got there because the place is very casual and unpretentious. Once they saw the menu they began to realize this was going to be a good experience. When the food arrived they were convinced. The "sports bar" appearance belies the fact that this is a gourmet restaurant as far as the food is concerned. The chef/owner here knows good food and how to make the best of local fresh ingredients.
Don't be fooled by the appearance, this is gourmet fare in a relaxed casual setting.

2  Thank MOWCAY-Abaco
Reviewed August 10, 2017

This was a Restaurant week visit with another couple. While most restaurant week menus offered an average of three entrée choices for this event, Castaways Sandfly offered five to satisfy a wide range of culinary appetites. The noise level as noted by other reviewers was noticeably higher than other restaurants, and I did have to lean over the table to talk and listen with other guests. However, this did not detract from the wonderful service and food provided.
There is an exterior dining section available, along with a full bar and several televisions on the inside of the restaurant. I selected the firecracker shrimp, black and blue prime rib, and Bombay mango cheesecake for the evening meal. All of the items were excellently seasoned, and our server kept our glasses full and was very attentive. I enjoyed the evening as the food and staff it presented a wonderful atmosphere for everyone. I plan to revisit Castaways Sandfly very soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2017

We came for Restaurant Week and tried many of the selections. The Tuna Tower, Grouper and Crispy Flounder were particularly good. The low cut out in the waitresses
shirt provided an added attraction worth viewing.

Reviewed August 4, 2017

We went during Restaurant Week. First, I must say the flounder and prime rib are great. Firecracker shrimp leave a lot to be desired. My wife couldn't eat because of peppers. Seems like jalapeño peppers were on everything and she hates them. Dessert was key lime pie. Not good. I asked if they made in house and server said yes. I have had better from local grocery stores. Wine was good but mixed drink was very weak. Server brought main course before we finished appetizer. He was nice, but seemed to lack experience. Also, we were placed next to the bar. Someone was shouting obscenities while we ordered. Almost left at this time. We will not return.