“Sleep in your vehicle, you'll save money, feel safer and enjoy it more.”

Super 8 Williston ND
Super 8 Williston ND
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Williston
Cork
“Sleep in your vehicle, you'll save money, feel safer and enjoy it more.”
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Don't get me wrong, I love the United States, its people, its towns and its hospitality...but this place really takes the biscuit. It took about half an hour to check in simply because I didn't have a US address - how could I, I don't live there?! When we finally made it to the room I was tired, really seriously tired and as a consequence I guessed my mind might have been playing tricks on me: the room had the odour of a 14-year-old dog with gangrene, there were pubic hairs in the bathing cubicle, stains on the carpet and the faint whiff or memory that a murder might well have been committed here in the not too distant past. My pregnant wife eventually fell asleep, notwithstanding the smell, but I was too strung out to nod off and instead spent the whole night gazing at the flimsy door and wondering when the rapists/murderers might burst in. Sure, we got out of there in one piece, but wasn't cheap, wasn't cheerful and its USP is that someday, many months after you've checked-out, when time and alcohol have taken their toll on your body and mind, you will mercifully have forgotten all about Super-8 Williston

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HerodCork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Montana
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My daughter and I stayed at the Williston Super 8 and had a very unpleasant experience. After driving 10 hours, we arrived in Williston and started hunting for the Super 8. The night shift had neglected to turn their outside lighting on so it took several attempts up and down the road to find it. We finally got checked in and were concerned about the room from the beginning. There were several stains on the carpet and the smell was bad. We were so tired, we just told ourselves we'd keep our flip flops on when walking around in the room, and we'd make the best of it. After preparing for bed, I went to pull back the bedspread and was shocked by dried blood on the bedspread. Sickened by the sight, I hurriedly went to remove the bedspread from the bed when I discovered a large urine stain on the edge of the bedspread. It looked like a dog had been in the room and did his business right there on the bedspread and the carpet. In addition to the bedspread, there was the clog in the the tub so by the time you were finished showering, you were standing in several inches of water. Needless to say, this made for a very unpleasant stay at the Williston Super 8 Motel.

After checking out the next morning, I mentioned our experience to the manager, Ms. Carla Hurley. Her response was that if we weren't happy we should have let them know and we could have been moved to another room. I was annoyed, but we went out to our car and loaded our suitcases. I thought I really deserved a refund so went back in to talk to the Ms. Hurley again. She had, in the meantime, visited our room with her head housekeeper to see for herself. When I returned and I asked for a refund, she did say she was sorry for what had happened, but that we really should have asked for another room. She did say that she would never have stayed in that room. We were originally charged $74.78 for the room, but an adjustment was made and we ended up paying $41.55. Thinking about this experiece, I think I should have been the one getting paid to stay there. As a hotel manager, Ms. Hurley should have bent over backwards to try to salvage this disaster, and yet she made excuses and put the responsibility on me, her guest. I believe, as a weary traveller, I should be able to expect some basic cleaning standards when checking into a hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank frzNmt

Travellers are raving about these Williston hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The hotel: Mud all over the parking lot, from all the pickup trucks working at the oil fields. Mud covered entrance mat, with mud tracks all over the entrance lobby. When I first checked in, there were spilled Doritos (or some other chips) all over the place, the disinterested slob working at the front desk blamed it on "renovations".

The room: older style, small room, with stucco ceiling and walls. A/C unit reaked of mildew when turned on, I had to go to Walmart to buy Lysol. Chairs had some unknown grease stains all over them. And, there was a public washroom right next to the room.

The town: this is a dirty mud-caked town, overrun by oil field workers. Every single hotel is booked solid every single night by the oil company's and their workers. Restaurants (ate at Granny's "family" restaurant) are overpriced, and food quality is terrible. This restaurant was dirty and if it was in any other city would be closed by the public health department. I guess the only choice is the town's Applebees (I guess you know what you'll be getting.)

The lowdown: The best part of the stay in this place was leaving.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank gomerpyle
edinburgh,scotland
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Touring north of North dakota and only had tine for 1 night stay so picked Williston as easy access over border from Canada.

Just wanted a cheap hotel and thats what we got.

It was fine for an overnight stay, the room was ok but no c reamer and sugar left with the in room coffee.

Went to reception but they had none either! Had to go to madjoining bar where they provided sugar and milk.

Good location and easy to find - breakfast acceptable

As mentioned, good value for the money

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonlam
Limerick
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Although under some renovations everything was clean and staff very friendly and helpful. Our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Montana
Reviewed 13 February 2009

NEVER AGAIN The pool is filthy, the rooms filthy, the staff unfriendly and just plain rude. It is the only motel that allows outside pool parties in which there is NO SUPERVISION from parents or the like. At the very least, the staff could put a restriction on the use of the hot tub to children. Whoever heard of todddlers in life jackets using a hottub anyway! If you want a great place with clean rooms GO to the Marquis!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Toddlers wearing life jackets in the HOTTUB
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Montanafriend
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 16 September 2008

When we arrived at the hotel there were already two parties in front of us checking in. The first person in line was from Canada and the desk clerk had no idea what to do with this person (no reservation) as she wanted to collect all kinds of data before offering him a room (as if he were going to take over the world while a guest). After about 20 minutes she finally got him into a room. The desk clerk spent another 15 minutes checking the next person into a room (they had a reservation) but had to listen to them rant about receiving a speeding ticket earlier in the day (do NOT speed in North Dakota).

When it was finally our turn, she could not find our reservation. She tried to give us a room that was not what we had reserved for far more money. Luckily we had printed our confirmation so she had to honor the rate. However, she had already given away the last king room and we were forced to take two doubles (not queens) on the 2nd floor.

After we returned from dinner the desk clerk called and miraculously found our reservation, as well as a king bed room. As we had already unpacked, we decided to stay where we were.

The hotel layout is a bit weird (lots of split levels) and we were about 2 1/2 floors above the lobby. We had a room overlooking the pool area without an outside window. This was kind of goofy and didn't allow for natural light wake-up in the morning and there was noise from the pool until 10:30pm when they closed and turned out the lights.

The room itself was clean and spacious.

We visited the pool which was quite popular with the many families spending the night. The spa was large but quite hot.

The hotel provides a computer with internet for guests to use in the lobby, but unless you have a lot of time don't bother--it's very slow. There is wi-fi in the rooms.

With the exception of the front desk clerk at check-in, I'd say the property itself was average, but the human element didn't meet expectations.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dangrad