Longwood Inn
US$170
  • Pool
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$234/night.

US$103
US$99
  • Pool
US$179
Homewood
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$285/night.

The Bertram Inn(Brookline)
US$149
AscendHotels
  • Fitness centre
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$183/night.

US$232
US$209
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$232/night.

All reviewscommon kitchencoolidge cornershared kitchenfully equipped kitchenthird floorback porchno elevatorold mansionwalking distancemedical schoolfenway parkminute walkcorner roomtwo blockshome away from homegreen linelongwood
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I spent a night at the Longwood and was generally very happy with the accommodations. The exterior is gorgeous (English country house design) and the location is quite good. It's close to two different branches of the MBTA Green Line and also easy walking distance to Coolidge Corners. There is free on-site parking, free WiFi, and even a living room and kitchen where you can cook if you want to. There's a lovely deck outside in the back which must be very nice when its not winter.

I arrived at 5:30 in the evening and found the office closed. No problem, they had left an envelope with my name on it that contained a room key (yes, they still use real keys) on a table in the entryway. My room (number 35) was on the third floor and it was a walkup. It was a small room (one queen size bed) but it met my needs very well. It was clean, tastefully decorated and generally delightful.

Except ....

In the morning I got up and was going to take a shower. I went into the bathroom and started the water. There was very little water pressure... so much so that the water fell directly from shower head straight down. It was warm, but not hot and it took a long time to get warm (probably because the room was on the third floor). It was sort of like washing yourself in a sink. There really wasn't a practical way to wash my hair there. Good thing too, because the room had no hair dryer.

I realize it's an old building, but this really was a deal breaker for me. Other than the shower, the room was really nice. My guess is that if you are not on the top floor you while probably have a much better experience.

Room Tip: Stay as low as possible
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank jahansen
123LongwoodInn, General Manager at Longwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

I am sorry for the inconvenience experienced by jahansen with the shower in his room.

The showers at the Longwood Inn have water saver shower heads to help conserve water. They have buttons on them which can be pushed in one direction to shut off the water without turning off the shower valve and then pushed in the other direction to turn the water back to full force. This way someone can lather their hair without the water running unnecessarily and then turn it back on again without having to adjust the temperature. Many people are unaware of this feature.

I assume that a previous guest had turned the water off at the shower head using the button and did not turn it back on again. The housekeepers are supposed to check for this as well as other things when cleaning rooms, but apparently it got missed. As soon as we became aware of the situation the shower was checked and we found that this was what had happened. The button was pushed in the other direction and the water came back on full force. The height of the room from ground level does not really affect the water pressure.

Providing a positive experience to guests is a very high priority for us. I hope that if jahansen comes to the Boston area in the future he will consider staying at the Longwood Inn again.

John Baer
Manager

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Out the front door and left, you come to shops and restaurants in a few blocks. Go right, and in a couple of blocks you come to a walking path along a stream in a safe wooded park. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank eafinct
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at the Longwood Inn this past July 2011. Located on a gorgeous street lined with some B&B's and inns. Only a short walk from the train and from a bunch of restaurants and shops. It was clean and cozy; very cool old house. :) We stayed on the 3rd floor and although the room was pretty small, it was decorated beautifully. We were out and about in the city most of the time anyway. One small glitch: we had requested a queen-size bed, but were given a room with just a full-size mattress that was kind of old and saggy in the middle. Not much space for my husband who's 6'2" and me who was pregnant. However, we made it work and it wasn't worth requesting another room. Everyone was nice, very laid back, and quiet. Perfect for a quick weekend getaway.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank krking1
Reviewed December 4, 2011

When I was invited to speak at the medical center my hosts suggested I reserve a room at the inn on Longwood. I booked at the Longwood Inn - they meant the Best Western Longwood which is closer to Harvard. However i had no regrets about the error. When I arrived at 10am with 3 hours sleep, they put me right into a lovely room. It was very clean and comfortable. The staff were all super and I enjoyed the laid-back B&B-like atmosphere. There is no breakfast but fresh coffee in the communal kitchen and you could bring in/prepare your own meals... Great for a long stay. Drawbacks: no elevator to my 3rd floor room nor bellhop. I did not like the walk alone on the dark back from the medical center. Residential street - no restaurants immediately at hand. In my case the comfort, friendliness, and beauty of this arts and crafts mansion was well worth the minor drawbacks.

• Stayed: December 2011
7  Thank DrSchmincke
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This was a wonderful experience. This inn is warm and welcoming. I have been to other inns in the area where the surroundings look welcoming but the staff has been the worst. So this was a pleasant surprise. Lovely surroundings, charming rooms and inn keepers who make this a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family