“Second Home”

Ranked #2 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Second Home”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This place literally is my second home when I'm in the Boston area. The staff are incredibly kind and accommodating. Even when I'm not staying there, I have been given free access to hang out in the lobby with my family as if it was my own living room. That is exactly the way I would hope to be treated as a repeat customer. The staff treated me and my significant other with the utmost respect. I have been especially impressed by their willingness to go above and beyond by placing special items in the room for me on occasion (strawberries and chocolate, champagne, etc.)

The inn itself is exactly what you would want if you were looking for a B&B. It does not resemble a hotel, which is exactly we choose to stay here. It is homey and very comfortable. The mattresses are amazing and the facility itself is clearly taken care of with a large amount of pride. The flowers in the spring/summer and the holiday decorations themselves speak for the kind of thought that is put into making guests comfortable.

Also, the location is incredible. You can be at Fenway Park in about 10 minutes. The inn is so close to downtown Boston that it basically feels like you're both in the heart of Brookline and also just around the corner from the city.

Whenever I am in Boston, I make reservations at the inn. It would be weird to travel to Massachusetts and not stay in my second home!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank napahereicome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I was very happy with my stay. I found the staff to be helpful, friendly, and courteous (respect the Oxford Comma). The accommodations were clean and charming and I was pointed to an excellent sushi restaurant within walking distance (Fugakyu) and the Washington Square Tavern for a huge selection of craft beer (beer nuts need to check it out). Public transportation to the Washington Square Tavern and to the city is located a mere few hundred feet from the inn's doorsteps. The boyfriend even screwed with the remote to the tv and an attractive young man came to our rescue. Will definitely be coming back! Loved the food spread and the pancakes in the morning (seriously get your butt out of an extremely comfortable bed to grab some)!

Room Tip: Dogs welcome! Also, if it's raining you can grab a movie from the interesting collection the st...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yousoundcrazy
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2012

In our search for a perfect inn in the Boston area four years ago, my wife and I happened upon The Bertram. Since then, we have stayed many times at this lovely, homey inn. The charm of the rooms, the graciousness of the staff, the quiet of the rooms, and even the homey snacks and breakfasts attest to the high quality of the hospitality. On our last visit, we asked for an upgrade and since no one was using a larger room, the hostess kindly helped us move from the smaller room to one off the main entrance. In a time of chain hotels underserving and overcharging, The Bertram is a welcome respite for rest and comfort. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you have stair climbing problems, the rooms on the first floor are larger than the rest. There is...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Larry O
Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My husband was having surgery in Boston which required me to find a place to stay while he was hospitalized. I made arrangements at the Bertram Inn for one night for both of us and for myself for three nights. Initially the Inn had us booked on the third floor but due to the type of surgery my husband was having he could not climb all the stairs so we asked if other arrangements could be made. The Inn immediately changed our reservations and put us on the first floor (room #3) the first night, making it easy for my husband. That room was rented for the remainder of my stay so the Inn changed my reservation to the second floor....which was fine with me. I had my things packed and they did the rest. When I returned to the Inn at night I found all my things in the second floor room (#9) which turned out to be very cozy. The staff was extremely friendly during our (my) entire stay. If we ever need to stay in Boston again, we will definitely stay at the Bertram Inn....it's just like home!!!

Room Tip: Check out the Bertram Inn website and review the rooms. I loved the second floor better than the fir...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JoJo759
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have stayed at the Bertram Inn a few times since my daughter moved to Boston and have always been impressed by the food (their cook is amazing) the friendly staff and the beautiful setting. I was lucky enough to stay there in December and was blown away by how beautiful the holiday decor was, they even had a Victorian sleigh in the front yard- so charming! It saddens to me to see their excellent service disparaged in some of these reviews because the staff there really went the extra mile for me from accommodating my gluten allergy to helping me navigate the city."

Room Tip: My first question is always is there a room with one of those Duxiana (not sure if I'm spelling...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Manamoo2
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 January 2012

What a charming little house in a warm neighborhood. Lovely girlie beds and great tea area! I too was put off my less than friendly front desk. Other than that perfect.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Amy O
bertramBrookline, Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear guest,

We thank you sincerely for your review. A general meeting with the Innkeeping team took place and some rough edges continue to be sharpened. We have no doubt that the service we provide is up to par with what we’re known for and been offering for the last 25 years and will continue to improve.

We’re glad to know that the rest of the stay was perfect.

Warmly,

The Innkeepers
United States
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We loved our stay at The Bertram Inn. We have stayed here before and love the charm of the rooms, the delicious breakfasts and the kind staff.

Each time we stay we try a different room and have loved each one for different reasons. They are all beautifully decorated, have very comfortable beds, small but immaculate bathrooms and although located on a city street we have always found them to be quiet and restful.

Breakfast is served in the warm and inviting living room and the sunny porch. There is always a hot entree, a tasty sweet item, lots of fruit and many bread choices. Their coffee is wonderful and available all the time. There are also snacks and sweets left in the living room for late night snacks.

We have found the management, staff and cleaning personnel to be welcoming and helpful. But, I will say that on our last visit, we checked in later in the evening and the young man on staff did not ask if he could help us with our bags(even though on previous visits this had not been a problem). He could see we struggled with one bag and raced it up the stairs and threw it into our room and was gone. And one evening and morning we were there, there was a woman in charge who never gave us a greeting, a look or any other consideration. It appeared she was at odds with the other staff members and it reflected back on the guests. This was not the service we have come to expect at the Bertram. That being said, we will visit again, but hope some staff members realize that we do notice when things are not the way they should be.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank melange1
bertramBrookline, General Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback about your most recent stay with us. I am disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectations, and I want to personally apologize for the lapse in friendly service that you have come to know at the Bertram Inn. I can promise you that I have now spoken with every member of our innkeeping staff to correct this, and you will see that friendly face and extra set of helpful hands when you have the opportunity to come see us again. Thanks for your kind words, and especially for pointing out how we can improve. We hope to see you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical

Been to The Bertram Inn? Share your experiences!