All reviewscookiesoutdoor porchbooked last minutecoffee teahot dishescoolidge cornereach morningb and bpublic areasboston areaon dutystayed for one nightnew englandquiet at nightfirst floorold mansionlate check
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I chose this as our base after a lot of research when visiting Boston. It was in a fantastic location if you are happy using the simple to use public transport (T) or take a cab into Boston central. The area itself, Brookline and Coolidge Corner is a very affluent suburb of Boston - extremely safe with some incredible houses in the neighbourhood.

There were 2 'T' stops close by, one just a block away, so it was easy to pop in and out of the city, around a 15 minute ride. There were also plenty of local amenities if you preferred to stay locally with a number of nice looking restaurants around the corner.

The Inn itself was well maintained with a beautiful front garden, clean interior with tons of character as befits an old property.

The best things about the Bertram Inn were the staff and the little touches they provided. Every single 'innkeeper' on duty went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable without ever being at all intrusive. They were excellent. The little touches such as the freshly baked cookies, fruit and nuts laid out after breakfast in case anyone needed a snack during the day were a nice addition!

I personally loved the small seating area outdoors under the pagoda with the vines trailing overhead to give some shade. A lovely tranquil and secluded spot in a vibrant urban area.

If I could find any negative points it would be that the en-suite bathroom in our room was very small and probably in need of a little TLC, but certainly nothing major.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

1  Thank Jon D
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We decided to stay at this Inn for its close location to the T station (St Paul St. on the Green Line C) and the elegant and classy style.
We were greeted by a very lovely hostess who gave us a nice tour of the house before she showed us our room. She also provided information about the local area and continually asked if we needed anything. The hostess also listened to our concerns about early check-out the next morning.
We loved the fact that snacks (fruits, cookies) and drinks (water, coffee, tea, lemonade) were always available in the lobby.
Our room, number 6, was small but had great charm. It was exactly what we thought it would be. Some other rooms at the Inn are way bigger than ours but we didn't want to spend too much on accommodation during our trip.
The only downside was the close proximity to the neighbors, who you could hear when they entered or left their room.
Breakfast was exceptional: three blends of coffee, a variety of teas, orange juice, milk, three types of cereal, all sorts of bread, fruit salad, whole fruits, homemade pastries, yogurt, vegetable quiche, etc.
Overall it is a very nice place to stay for heavy sleeper but we aren't and thus we woke up a couple times from noisy neighbors.

Room Tip: Room # 6 is the smallest but charming room with attached bathroom but little closet space
1  Thank Carineaj
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were concerned that it was a long way from the Centre, but our doubts disappeared. It is a beautiful tree-lined suburb, Our welcome was first rate with explanations of all facilities - tea and coffee with snacks all day, information on local sights and restaurants - we had a superb Japanese meal and spent the next day at the Isabella Gardner museum (wonderful place) and both in walking distance. The staff were always there and always friendly and smiling, ready to answer questions. The room was clean, comfortable, had good range of toiletries and bathrobes. Breakfast was a mixture of hot and cold - very enjoyable. The metro was a few yards away and staff explained how it worked and sold us tickets. After our day out we were allowed to stay in the comfortable lounge drinking coffee until we left for the airport - and we did this by metro for 4 dollars. I'd love to go back.

1  Thank JaneMay
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I travel to Boston a couple times each year to go to Red Sox games, and we stay at the Bertram Inn, or its sister B&B across the street, the Samuel Sewall Inn. The rooms are lovely and well-appointed. The buildings themselves are beautiful with amazing details in the woodwork and the stained glass windows. The bathrooms can be a bit small, depending on which room you reserve, but they are always clean, The breakfast is good too, there are usually a couple hot dishes, assorted cereals, yogurt, and fruit. Addiitionally, there always snacks available, like granola bars, fruit, and cookies. During nice weather, there is outside seating available. I have found the employees to be helpful, giving some suggestions for restaurants, etc.

The inn is located in Brookline, just outside the Boston city line, and within walking distance to Fenway Park - about a 20 minute walk. You don't realize you've left Boston at all. Access to the T (Boston's train/subway system) is a block away - so convenient. The neighborhood is great, lots of restaurants, bars, bookstores, etc. close by, but not close enough to hear any noise. The street is quiet, and well-maintained homes surround this B&B. My husband and I have frequently walked around the neighborhood at night, it never feels unsafe, and the streets are well-lit.

My only negative is that you have to pay for parking. I don't understand why they do that - I am paying for a room, and you can't include the parking space? The last time we stayed, I believe it was $15 per night. I think they should waive this.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank arlena07
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I found the Bertram Inn by its proximity to Fenway Park since we had tickets to the game. I was within walking distance and the neighborhood was safe. The Inn itself was precious - the staff couldn't have been more accommodating; in fact, my cousin decided to surprise me and wanted to stay nearby and the Bertram Inn's sister property, The Samuel Sewell Inn - was right across the street and my cousin stayed there.

The room we had was small (but we were on a budget), but most importantly, it was clean and comfortable. We loved all the antiques and attention to detail.

The breakfast had lots of choices and there were snacks left out for the afternoon. We were not disappointed in the least and I'm sure practically anyone would be happy staying at the Bertram Inn.