All reviews cookies outdoor porch booked last minute coffee tea hot dishes coolidge corner each morning b and b public areas boston area on duty stayed for one night new england quiet at night first floor old mansion late check
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Bertram Inn is a charming B&B on a moderately busy corner in urban Brookline, Massachusetts. Don't expect hotel-style rooms and bathrooms, but do enjoy the various bedrooms of an old merchant's house, comfy beds, and quirky decor. Stay here for the service, the convenience of it's location, and the feeling of being a true guest as opposed to a commodity. Coffee, tea and snacks are available 24/7, and a real effort is made to supply a varied, healthy, and attractive breakfast. The breakfast room is a little dreary, but there are options for sitting outside in the nice weather and in the living room. One caveat is that the front rooms are a bit noisy, i.e., sirens and traffic during the night. I used the window a.c., fan only, to supply a white noise, which was just fine.

Room Tip: A couple of the larger rooms have beds so high that steps are supplied for climbing in and out. Be sure to let the owners know if this is a problem for you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Location : Very good
T (subway) stops are at easy walking distance.
The Longwood medical area hospitals (Brigham and Women's, Dana-Farber, etc.) are about 20 min. away walking. Museum of Fine Arts is 30 min. on foot.
Coolidge Corner, with its stores and restaurant, plus Trader Joe's, is less than 10 minutes of a walk.

Parking : Right behind the building, or right across the street.

Rooms : excellent
I stayed in a room on the second floor. It was very clean, provided plenty of room, and was nicely furnished. Comfortable bed.

Breakfast : very nice.
One hot prepared food (varies from day to day). Plenty of other kinds of food, from bagels to fruits, cereal, etc. Too numerous to list.

Coffee, tea, pastries, dried fruit, candies/chocolate all day.

Common/breakfast area : very nice.
Actually two areas, one of them is essentially a completely enclosed porch. Nicely furnished. Daily newspapers.

Service : superb
Very courteous and prompt.
They go beyond the call of duty.
My car key was lost (several days after I left another guest found it) and when they heard that they made all the phone calls that were necessary to help me out.
Also, since I had to do late check-out and they needed the room for the next guest they carried all my stuff to the office. When I was leaving they picked up all my stuff from the office and carried it to my car. I Did not have to ask them to do this.

Bertram Inn is my first choice in Boston.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at the pictures of the rooms on the Inn's website. You will get a good idea which room's décor you like the best. You will also get an idea of the size of the room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SquareG
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I always stay here when visiting Boston. The service is so welcoming. They treat you like an old friend and are always ready to go the extra mile.

The rooms are comfortable and charmingly appointed. Having a living room on the first floor makes it easy to have friends stop before or after dinners, meetings, etc. Location, location, location - perfect.

The breakfasts are always great. Something for everyone. Having snacks out all day and night can be a lifesaver.

I was thrilled to discover The Bertram and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

If one looks any further for refined excellence in a B+B the effort is wasted.
This charming old Mansion has everything to recommend it...good location, beautifully appointed rooms, charming reception and great cookies snacks.
We will be making this our Boston stay when we return.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Hello dear travelers,
We stayed at Bertram Inn for 4 nights (July 26 to 30) and we loved it! We were in room # 2 (king size bed), which was very spacious. Self-service breakfasts were awesome with fruits, cereals, breads, and a new dish every day (either eggs, pankakes, etc.). There was always fruits, nuts, and snacks available to guests all day long. The staff was courteous and helpful. The B&B is located in a very quiet and nice area called Brookline near the Havard Avenue where we found local restaurants and coffee shops. We were about 15-minutes away from downtown (by metro - The Cleveland Circle - green line). We highly recommend this breakfast. We found the price was reasonable considering we were traveling during the peak season and that most B&B's were already booked. Thanks to our hosts who made our stay unforgettable!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple