All reviewscookiesoutdoor porchbooked last minutecoffee teahot dishescoolidge cornereach morningb and bpublic areasboston areaon dutystayed for one nightnew englandquiet at nightfirst floorold mansionlate check
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Inn was lovely and mostly well managed. However, I got stuck in very small hallway room, because I booked relatively last minute. The doors to the rooms have to be slammed when ins self-locking mode, and boy hey did my neighbors do that often. The hallway floors squeek and creek extremely loudly and woke me up every time someone walked by. There is a coffee machine (K-cup) in the upstairs hallway and you could hear it buzzing through the night and morning when other guests were preparing hot beverages. The hot beverages available 24/7 is a plus though. The room was overly heated, and when I cracked the window, then it was freezing. Despite these many little annoyances, the beds were comfortable, there was plenty of hot water and water pressure. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast selection was varied, so everyone could find something to eat. There were snacks and cookies through the afternoon, which was quite nice. It is a very short walk from the MBTA Green line. Overall, more cozy than the Holiday Inn a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Book early and get a corner room. The small rooms along the hallway are tiny and noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I brought my fiance to the Inn as a birthday surprise because he is fond of Samuel Adams beer. I took him to the original brewery which is only 2 miles away from the Inn. After the tour we went to Doyle's (est. 1882) which is the bar/restaurant that was first to sell Sam Adams beer. The Bertram Inn itself was absolutely beautiful and was a romantic setting for our birthday celebration. We walked one block to the T and found our way to the best shopping I have seen outside of Manhattan. We got a bottle of wine and returned to our gorgeous room and started a fire in the fireplace. We fell asleep to the crackling of the warm fire on the dark wood walls of what looked like an original old library in the mansion. The only negative was the breakfast, i thought it could have used some basic hot dishes like eggs or pancakes. Overall my stay was great and I hope to return to the Bertram soon.

Room Tip: Room # 3 is off the lobby so if you are a noisy couple don't pick this room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My family stayed at the Bertram Inn in May while we were celebrating my brother’s graduation from Emerson College and our time there was excellent.

The breakfasts were delicious and there were cookies and fruit snacks in the common area. The rooms are fantastic as the management has kept true to the early 20th century style furnishing. The beds were comfortable and although each room had a different palette, they were all excellent.

All of the staff members were friendly and frequently asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay better. The innkeepers also accommodated the many adjustments we made to our reservation as our guests arrived for the main event.

One instance in particular showed how much the Bertram Inn’s patrons love the place – an older couple agreed to switch rooms at an innkeeper’s request and didn't even ask to be compensated for the change. I especially have to recognize Astrid for taking such good care of us - she even offered a complementary treat when my mother had to change rooms.

I would highly recommend The Bertram Inn to anyone coming to the Boston-Brookline area. I’d love to spend time there again in the near future.

You can see the love they got on 4sq too: https://foursquare.com/v/bertram-inn/4c6ecf0ad274b60c03a5d40d

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a great place to stay for the price! There are snacks and hot beverages available 24 hours a day. The breakfast is varied, healthy, and plentiful. The parking is reasonable and the neighborhood is good for shopping. We stayed here and walked to a show at the House of Blues. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I'm posting the same review for bothThe Bertram Inn and The Samual Sewall Inn since they are managed by the same people, share staff and kitchens, and are across the street from each other. These very nice B&B's are located in Brookline, just outside of Boston. We’ve stayed at each several times over the past two years since our daughter moved to Brookline. We find them to be very nice, with helpful staff, good breakfast and snacks, and a great location, two blocks from Beacon St and the T. These are two very old, beautiful houses, and we’ve had issues a couple of times with HVAC. They seem to recognize this problem and generally have extra space heaters or fans, depending on your need. Parking is on site for an extra $12 or so per night, which is a bargain for the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple