“Can't beat the comfort and care”

The Samuel Sewall Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
schodack, ny
“Can't beat the comfort and care”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed at the Sewall when having out-patient surgery that took several days.We booked for one night. In the middle of the night, the wound bled, ruining a pillow and staining the sheets. They were quite gracious about the trouble. We checked out and returned to the hospital.

When it got to afternoon, we realized we should stay another night. We called the 888 # and got the sister inn across the street (The Bertram Inn). I explained we had stayed the previous night and were hoping a room would be available for that night. They gave us an upgraded room at the price of the basic.

When we arrived that evening, they had puttowels on the pillows and provided spare sheets, if we needed. Among two inns and changing staffs, they remembered who we were and made an extra effort to accommodate our needs. Service doesn't get any better than that.

In addition, the beds were quite comfortable and the continental breakfast featured one hot item each day. They also have complimentary snacks - cookies, fresh and dried fruit, beverages - throughout the day and evening.

The inn is 4 blocks from Dana-Farber, Brigham and Womens, Beth Israel and other hospitals. It is also close to Fenway. Plus, it's walking distance to JP Licks - great ice cream and the walking back and forth reduces the guilt.

I'm not looking forward to follow-up surgery, but a return to the Sewall will make it bearable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joe-grimaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Toronto
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I booked the Samuel Sewall Inn because of the great ratings online and because it was one of the cheaper hotels/B&B close to my job interview.

I e-mailed the B&B in advance to ask for their quiestest room (they recommended room#10). Their reply was quick, informative and on the money! I have no complaints with the room I received. In fact, when I arrived, the innkeeper offered me a free upgrade to a larger room because she felt bad that room #10s bathroom was small. It was more than adequate. She was also incredibly helpful with planning my stay in Boston. Excellent service! However, not all staff members were as helpful or enthusiastic as her. But still, no complaints at all!

The bed was very comfortable. The hot water was plentiful. The breakfast was delicious. There is always food available during the day. One day there was supposed to be hard boiled eggs and it was a no show. I didn't really care, they make you gasy anyway. I did find it cold in the morning when I woke up... I would have preferred more consistent heating. But that was minor, I barely even remembered.

The location isn't the best. It was close to my interview, but far from the main touristy sites. The B&B is just outside of the St. Paul's subway stop, so at least that was very convenient. It took me less than an hour to get to the B&B from the airport by public transportation.

Very good value, service and experience. I definitely recommend! I would stay here again in a heartbeat. It doesn't get 5/5 because for all the places I've travelled in my life it doesn't really stand out... but don't let that deter you from booking.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 and up are on the third floor of the house (which is the highest). There are rooms are the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My husband and I took comfort at this warm and welcoming Inn at the end of each day we spent in Brookline. We greatly appreciated the genuine friendliness of the evening staff member, who was very knowledgable about the places to see in Boston. The Inn is located in a quiet yet convenient neighborhood, within walking distance to great restaurants and some attractions. Our room was clean, comfortable, and well appointed. We enjoyed waking up each morning to their delicious breakfast casseroles, pastries, and freshly-brewed coffee. We look forward to staying there again during our next visit to Brookline.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Shelley P
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We only stayed here one evening. I am from the area, but had a guest who stayed at the Inn. Very helpful owners. Room 8 is really lovely, the bed high and comfortable, the feeling warm and welcoming. Bathroom was a bit cramped, but other than that, could not find fault. Breakfast was quite good, with a wide variety of options, including a delicious scone. It's true that the room is fairly small, but I did not experience any problems. Would recommend highly and would stay again if the situation warranted. I will always have fond memories of this home.

Room Tip: Our room #8 was lovely.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Waterwoman10
Jombang, Indonesia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Samuel Sewall Inn was a wonderful place to stay while visiting friends in Brookline. Since we had a rental car, we appreciated the ease of parking in the parking lot. Check-in was easy, and our room was very nice with a comfortable bed. My husband and I went running each morning in the neighborhood, and then came back for breakfast in the courtyard. Even though it's a small inn, you don't feel like the staff is keeping tabs on you, which I appreciated. We were able to walk to Fenway Park from the inn and really enjoyed the neighborhood in general.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelLover32380
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My husband and I stayed 2 nights. Good location, close to 'T' stop and grocery store...easy walking distance to Coolidge Corner. Staff very friendly and helpful....Parking available. Breakfast was fine, but we unfortunately missed the hot breakfast each day because we left before it was served to get an early start to our sightseeing. Tea, coffee, cookies and nibblies were available all day. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Reasonable price. Excellent location near "T" and Coolidge Corner, Brookline's main shopping district. Lovely ambiance. Excellent breakfast. Bathroom cramped and showing its age. Air conditioned unpleasantly super-cooled the room. Would return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leonirose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#10 of 83 in Boston

Been to The Samuel Sewall Inn? Share your experiences!