“Sushi That is Drop-dead/Out-of-this-world”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sakura Japanese Steak and Seafood House
Ranked #159 of 481 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2015

A business colleague and I stopped here en route to Baltimore. We sat at the sushi bar so we could be close the action. The sushi was spectacular, off-the-charts terrific.

We had the sushi/sashimi for two. It was enough to feed a horse--several of them, in fact. In particular, the yellowtail, salmon, eel, and tuna were yummy.

Highly, highly recommended!

Reviewed October 23, 2015

We've been going to Sakura for at least 10 yrs and it's always been an enjoyable experience, so when my sister and her family came up to visit and my dad wanted to take us somewhere special, it was an obvious choice. I wish we had picked somewhere else. As we were pulling up, there was a cook sitting on a chair by the dumpster smoking something he was trying to hide in his hand and wouldn't luck have it, we ended up w/ him! My 4yr old would've done a better job than this man. He pulled his cart up and it took him 10 tries to removed the spatula hanging b/c he kept stumbling and almost fell over. He got rice in my drink while it was still being cooked b/c he was just flinging everything around. He didn't put all of the sauce in the rice (like I said, we've been there a lot and have an idea how it should go). He still hadn't made the mushroom appetizer at that pt and started cooking the entrees and plating those out. After he had all the entrees out, he started the mushrooms and vegetables. When he put the mushrooms on my plate, he shook his spatula to get some off and got the grease from the mushrooms and the stove onto my hand, where I actually have a burn now. I noticed my husband wasn't eating his chicken and when I asked what was wrong, he showed me that half of his chicken was still pink inside. It was raw. For as much as they charge per plate, their chefs should be trained properly. They shouldn't be falling over, burning the customers, and serving them undercooked meat. His name was "Johnny" and wore an Alabama chef hat, so if you end up w/ him, watch yourselves. I'm sure we'll be back but if we have him again, I'm heading out the door.

1  Thank MrsC6839
Reviewed April 29, 2015

Last night my Dad, wanted to treat my son and his wife, to a restaurant we all loved when my son was growing up.....Visiting from NC, he was excited to go to Sakura's and we were all expecting a good meal. It's on the high end but we didn't mind as long as the food was fine.

The waitress and cook were very pleasant, although the cook was from Honduras and his previous job had been in the construction business....

We each ordered sushi. Crunchy Tuna Roll, Spider Roll, Unami, etc.....a LOT of sushi........instead of coming on an individual plate to each person who had ordered the particular item, ALL of it came out on a huge white platter that hardly fit on the area where our dinner plates were.....it was a terrible way to serve our sushi.....and for that reason ALONE I wouldn't return.....BUT...

Dad ordered the Fillet Mignon and Shrimp....medium rare.....his was 25.00 and was totally over cooked..... the fillet was grisly and tough......he couldn't eat it......he did eat the two shrimp which came to his plate as the appetizer.....everything else he had to waste....tough, bad meat and rubbery shrimp.....

I got the MaMa San Rib Eye and Lobster for 31.00. The fat on my steak was ridiculous....usually the cook cuts it away and we're given lean, tender pieces....not last night. The meat was tough and most pieces were half fat which were wasted bites...AND because of all of the over crowding on EACH plate (about 2 cups of oily tasting rice, 2 cups of vegetables grilled with some mystery oil which was squirted on heavy handedly while cooking),..... we were unable to see the fat on our meat, but once in the mouth.....it had to come out.

My Kirin beer was 7.25.....crazy......I was so disappointed and disgusted that we'd chosen SAKURAS for the one nice dinner we had planned for my son...... (who visits in VA a couple times a year.....)

For a very poor dinner, which included one beer and four sushi orders, our bill was over 250.00 and we had to leave over half of our dinner order on our plates.

Never again. There are other options for this genre of food in Fredericksburg.

2  Thank boarding1
Reviewed March 8, 2015

Having lived here in Fredericksburg for going on four years, we are starting to return to some places. We went on a recent Sunday night and were immediately seated. While the food and show are tasty and entertaining, I stand by my review from several years ago that you pay a hefty premium for the show. My husband chose the filet and shrimp, which is one of the most expensive entrees, but our two teens and I had shrimp and chicken. We each had a tea or soda. Our bill came to more than $110, since the entrees run between $20-$30 each. With tip the total bill was $140 (we left 20%+ because of both the server and chef.) After eating the soup, salad, and a small appetizer, I was already full. My daughter and I had lots of leftover food (enough for a second meal).

Reviewed January 18, 2015

We went as a nice sized group and were able to get an entire grill all to ourselves. Even though we had reservations, we still had to wait more than 20 mins to be seated. We heard others in the bar area complain about waiting to place a drink order as well.

But once we were seated, the experience was excellent!

The chef we got was personable an did an excellent job preparing the dinner. The food tasted GREAT and packed a LOT of flavor! Price is very nice considering all the great food that was served and the Teppanyaki experience.