“Best sushi in town”

Ajimi
Ranked #26 of 243 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: It's listed on Urbanspoon now, but they don't have a webpage.
North Pole, Alaska, United States
“Best sushi in town”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My husband and I LOVE their large selection of sushi. The staff is friendly and atmosphere is cozy and it's very clean. Renovation to ad more room was a great investment since so many love to go to lunch there. GREAT JOB !! We will definitely be back. Sushi guys ROCK !! Thanks for all the samples too.

Visited December 2011

Fairbanks, AK
“great sushi, great environment, great presentation”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Fairbanks has trouble when it comes to consistently good restaurants. but that isn't the case with ajimi. sushi is amazing. their fish is amazing. great place

• Visited January 2012
Alaska
“Out-of-the-way Japanese Place Shines Brightly”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Holy cow ! Great Japanese sushi comes to Fairbanks. I know we live at the end of the road, and I had no idea that sushi could become edible art until I ate at Ajimi. I also had no idea that sushi could be more than seaweed wrapped around rice and a couple of hunks of meat or veggie. These folks at Ajimi do so much with sushi that you will have to revise your whole vocabulary about sushi. Not only that, but when served on the plate it is nothing short of eye candy. Oh my gosh, the portions are huge and the flavors they combine will shock the pants off you (almost). Seriously, I was agape at the extensive menu and then was doubly shocked when I actually saw what I ordered. It was so lovely I wanted to take a picture of it before I dug in. This food is truly beautiful. I had no clue sushi could be so lovely.

And like excellent food, the service here is elegant, not the place, the service. I don't know how to describe it more accurately. I've eaten take out and sat to eat, and every time I have gloried in the mixture of flavors and textures. Plenty of Americans think sushi is just fish or it tastes fishy. It can be depending on what you order, and it doesn't have to be at all.

The menu is so extensive that even scardey cat eaters can find something here they will like. Writing this is making me want to go have some miso soup and then plunge into a new culinary delight.

Visited November 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
“After more than a year of loyal eating, we are not going back.”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Ajimi used to be the best Asian food in Fairbanks and we went almost weekly. Not anymore. After a steady decline over the last few months, we finally had the experience to send us packing. My daughter's Bento Box came with the chicken and Tempura items cold and the sushi items warm. My Son's Katsu Chicken was reheated and my husband's bulgogi was on the counter even longer than the chicken, became cold, was sent back and when it finally reached the table was burnt, chewy and tasted terrible. Last, my meal was completely forgotten and I finally just got it to go 15 minutes after everyone else was done eating. We would have told the waitress, but she never came back after taking our order, and others brought the food. My husband had to go to the front to ask for my meal. It had been missed.
The staff was completely confused and overwhelmed and it looks like they cannot handle the increased load after expanding the restaurant. Too bad, it used to be a great place to eat. We will be moving elsewhere.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Nappen
Salem, OR
“Personal Service”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Our daughter lives in Fairbanks and took us to one of her favorites. Very friendly atmosphere including the chefs as one enters. The owner came to our table with personal recommendations for myself and my wife based on what we like and what our daughter has had.and likes.

My Salmon Poke and Sushi was very good if not the best I have ever had and artistically presented, sorry I did not take pictures to pass on.

• Visited November 2011

Been to Ajimi? Share your experiences!