“Wow!!!”

Running Reindeer Ranch
Ranked #2 of 100 things to do in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: OPEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, NO DROP-INS ACCOMMODATED. PLEASE CALL FIRST. Enjoy a walk through the boreal forest of Alaska with our curious and gentle reindeer. Olive, Jasper, Rufus, Daisy, Buttercup, Margarita and Rocket will be your guides as you enjoy the beauty of Alaska's interior. See them romp free through the forest doing "reindeery" things. After our walk we will return to the house for a light refreshment and to finish up the conversation. Each time you come will be a unique experience. We are open year round by appointment only. Same day reservations sometimes available but you must contact us in advance. Winter cut off temperature -65 F.(That's a joke, it really never gets that cold, we cut off when you don't want to do it, we are always game! Reindeer love the cold!) Book Online on our website or facebook page.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

What a cool experience we had at the Running Reindeer Ranch!!! You can tell Jane really lives and loves what she does in caring for these reindeer!!! She has a beautiful property and we had so much fun learning about how she started her business and about the reindeer and why they do what they do ha! Definitely 110% recommend this as an activity to do while you’re in Fairbanks! Jane was very welcoming of our group into her home and her life.

All reviews
in 75 reviews
"herd"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We went there as part of a tour group and Jane introduced us to the Reindeer world.
I was expecting to see paddocks of reindeer, but she has only a few.
This shouldn't put you off because during the walk, the reindeer actually walk with you and interact which is a pleasant experience.
Jane has personalised the tour with explaining the different temperaments of the reindeer and you can see this during the walk.
A great experience with a knowledgeable host.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

There were 20 people on our tour in early April. The time with the reindeer was fun, but this really felt like more of an educational event than time with the reindeer. They provided cleats to put over our shoes so we didn’t slide on the ice, and once we had those on, since not everyone was there yet, we were allowed to go up and pet the reindeer and talk to the staff, which was great!

However, once everyone arrived, we had an information and safety speech, as well as everyone introducing ourselves, which ended about an hour from the scheduled start time of the walk. The walk itself was fun but we had to walk single file for most of the time and the reindeer do their own thing so if you were at the back of the group, as we were, you really weren’t near the reindeer.

Jane knows a lot about reindeer and we learned quite a bit, which was interesting but I would have preferred more time walking and interacting over the amount of time spent standing around. There was time for everyone to get photos with one of the reindeer, which was nice, and another reindeer decided to sit down in the same area so we luckily got an additional photo and Jane was great about placing the main reindeer in a good photo spot. But with 20 people on the walk there was a lot of wait time for photos.

We really didn’t walk very far - A longer distance would be nice for the money we paid at high season (almost $100 per person); I agree with the other reviewer who suggested decreasing the group size as well.

Overall, I’m glad we did this, and Jane clearly loves her reindeer as close family pets. Her enjoyment of sharing information about them is evident, and the hot drinks and homemade cookies add a friendly and welcome touch at the end of the walk in the cold.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

My experience at Running Reindeer Ranch was so memorable! Everything from the story behind the name, to how the reindeer are (looking at you Jasper) is unlike anything you'd see anywhere. If you're in Fairbanks, definitely make the reservation, it's totally worth it!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2018

I spent the afternoon here getting to know Jane, the crew, and the reindeer. I would say that this was the highlight of my trip. Jane is very knowledgeable, friendly, hospitable, and an all around wonderful story-teller.

I highly recommend this as you'll walk away with more knowledge about reindeer while getting the chance to interact with them.

I liked it so much I bought a hoodie with their logo - which I never do for any of my excursions. I also bought some carved antlers from reindeer from Mongolia. Jane has a wonderful story behind this, and I encourage anyone who joins this tour to buy something to take home with them.

Been to Running Reindeer Ranch? Share your experiences!