“A great host and amazing place to stay.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 October 2016

I stayed at this place for 3 nights last year.

The northern lights room is on the 2nd floor equipped with a private batch, luggage storage room. You can easily check Aurora from the window every night. I did see the Aurora there!!

If you are here to chase Aurora, it is definitely one of best places to stay in Fairbanks.

The house is amazing, cozy to stay, we were very lucky to enjoy whole lodge due to we were only guests at that time.
1st floor is a big living room with a fantastic, big and new flat TV, and a very comfortable sofa.

There is also a guidebook for Aurora shooting if I remember correctly.

Kathy chatted with us a lot while she stayed at house. She wasvery nice and friendly we loved to talk to her to understand Alaska more and get to know her life, and I missed the warm stove a lot.

The breakfast prepared by Kathy was also wonderful and she is very generous to let us use her kitchen.

We have cooked for dinner in her kitchen for two nights. Just remember to clean it up and restore things to its original place :)
It also has been fun to help her to hang Christmas tree ornaments :)
We were very pleased and glad that Kathy also invited us to her house in the downtown for Christmas dinner, and have chance to hang out with Kathy's family, especially her lovely and cutest grant baby.
By the way, you can ask Kathy any questions via email about the house, booking etc. She is very responsive. A big thumbs up!!

I will choose to stay here again if I am going to have fun at Fairbanks.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2016

To start with communication before the visit was very clear and friendly, as was the welcome. The room was extremely comfortable and well appointed and the view from the cottage was awe inspiring - even if Denali was hiding. Kathy was friendly and as inclusive. Breakfast was definitely worth a recommendation.

Room Tip: It is a B&B, not a hotel but all the above holds true.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Kathy A, Owner at A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

I do appreciate all the technology and ways to keep the communication with my guests open and on-going. I love sharing this amazing home. I strive to keep you as comfortable as possible.
Guests are always commenting on the structure and are amazed to find that the logs were taken right from the site and hand peeled by the previous owner.
Currently, I am transitioning to a vacation rental. Guests are still welcome to stay at A Moose in the Garden, but you will have to rent the entire house on VRBO.
*An excellent location for viewing the aurora.

Reviewed 19 February 2016

We stayed at this lovely bed and breakfast for 3 nights. All the beds and furniture were super comfy and the house has heating flooring so we were nice and warm the whole time. Location is outside of town about 20 minutes so make sure you grab and necessities in town before you head out to this retreat. Kathy was a great host and cook- we had delicious breakfast ready for us every morning and she stuck around answering any questions we had and shared a lot of her knowledge about Alaska and its culture and history.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Kathy A, Owner at A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2016

I really enjoy the winter months with my guests. There is still so much to see and do...especially watching the northern lights.
Making a hot breakfast and sitting around the table enjoying stories of the guests travels are always delightful. The heated floors make this large space cozy. I am always willing to build a warm, cozy fire in the woodstove on cold nights. I have just purchased a stove for outdoors in which to warm yourselves while watching the aurora light up the sky above the house.
PLEASE NOTE:
Due to a wonderful addition to my family (my first grandchild!) I am booking the property more and more on VRBO (vacation rental by owner) #430134, so availability as a B&B will be limited. I also have another listing only for the summer months that is a log home in town that sleeps four and is pet friendly. VRBO #789637. I am happy to help you plan your stay in Fairbanks.

Reviewed 13 February 2016

The property is perfectly located for our goal in this trip, far enough from the city so we did not have light pollution when photographing the Aurora Borealis, but not so far away that it would be difficult to be in touch with the city's attractions (museums, restaurants, shops, Yukon Quest, etc...)
Its owner. Kathy is the epitome of a perfect hostess. Perfect breakfasts done at your taste, everything neat and clean, property perfectly maintained and even if you need some Artic boots, she will lend you ones, as she did to my wife.
Kathy even devoted her free week-end time to take us to some excursions and visits around town and nearby cities. Incredidle!
As a summary, we felt like been at a family's home, we never felt visitors at Moose in the Garden!!
Thanks Kathy!!! You are the best.

Stayed: February 2016
Kathy A, Owner at A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2016

Thank you for your kind words. It was a special weekend! I was delighted to take you along to watch the exciting start of the Yukon Quest Sled Dog Race. It was wonderful to share the ins and outs of the race, the mushers, and the premium locations to spot the mushers as they began the 1,000 mile race! You were delightful company, and I like that you appreciated all the little side trips we took to see the mushers running along Chena Hot Springs Road, crossing the road, and stopping at the first check point to meet the vets and all the support staff that are integral to this race. I hope to visit with you again someday at A Moose in the Garden B&B. You are a part of the "Moose Family"!

Reviewed 11 February 2016

We stayed in the Northern Lights room in mid-January for my birthday. The room was fantastic, I slept like a baby (when I wasn't peeking out the window looking for the Auroras). The jacuzzi tub was stellar, and YES we actually did see the lights from the tub!!! Kathy was absolutely great, such a character, and hilarious!!! Plus she makes a mean breakfast! So tasty! The house was beautiful, cozy and warm. I would definitely recommend this place! I hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Northern Lights room can't be beat! (although it is a loft open to the common area)
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Kathy A, Owner at A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2016

I am so glad you enjoyed your birthday! The Northern Lights Room is definitely the room to choose during the aurora viewing season in the winter. The aurora generally appears outside the west window where the Jacuzzi tub is situated and dances northward where is can be viewed from your cozy bed. Though the aurora can be viewed from the B&B, there are many wonderful places that I can also recommend guests spend time in order to get a 360º view from the tops of nearby domes (hills), or capture reflections off of lakes and ponds in warmer months. Those not familiar with driving in winter conditions often book a tour driving even farther north of town.... even as far as the Arctic Circle!

Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

While we live in Washington State, Alaska was our last to visit When looking for a B&B Kathy's home had great reviews. Booked the Northern Lights Room. Excellent Breakfast and Poetry reading by the fire at night made this a place to come back to

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honwing
Kathy A, Owner at A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2016

As the host at A Moose in the Garden B&B and Vacation Rental, I often get an opportunity to read the poetry of Robert Service to many of my guests. Many people recognize his work and some have even memorized a poem or two in school. He is a renowned poet of the Yukon and wrote many poems about the gold rush era of his time. One of my favorite stanzas is from the Shooting of Dan McGrew:
"Were you ever out in the Great Alone, when the moon was awful clear,
And the icy mountains hemmed you in with a silence you most could hear;
With only the howl of a timber wolf, and you camped there in the cold,
A half-dead thing in a stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold;
While high overhead, green, yellow and red, the North Lights swept in bars? —
Then you've a hunch what the music meant. . . hunger and night and the stars."

Reviewed 14 October 2015

Kathy is a friendly, warm, and wonderful host. The property is beautiful, clean, with gorgeous views extending to Denali from the back porch. Sunday breakfast was perfectly poached eggs over asparagus on garlic toast with hollandaise and a side of bacon with delicious coffee and OJ. We lucked out with the Aurora in full effect on our first night, and we shivered to watch it while the indoor fire kept the home toasty for when we ducked back in.

Stayed: October 2015