All reviews surrounded by trees secluded location loop road wooded area indoor pool waffles king room nice hotel hot breakfast hotel is located front desk staff across the river comfortable beds stay there again very nice stay waffle maker the breakfast area
Reviewed September 24, 2018

I stayed here for a total of four nights, on three separate occasions covering two weeks in late August and early September, as I was using Fairbanks as a reconnoitering location for photography excursions to the area around Denali National Park and up north in the Brooks Range.

This hotel was selected in part because of its proximity to the airport and the price, which was reasonable.

I found the overall physical plant to be fine--the rooms were large, clean and well-appointed. Everything worked as advertised; including Wi-Fi.

I want to make a point of recognizing the hotel staff, which was unfailingly polite, helpful and efficient. One of the reservations I had--made through a third-party site--had been messed up by the provider, but the staff at the hotel was able to resolve the problem in short order.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to stay at this location again if I travel to Fairbanks.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
SamanthaM4542, General Manager at Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2018

Hello Kerry, Thank you so much for letting us know about all of your stays. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed the Location of the hotel and the overall physical plant to be fine. Thank you for also pointing out the hotel staff, they are pretty awesome! We hope to see you again!!

Reviewed September 17, 2018

The hotel has very good check-in, though I had called a few days earlier to confirm my reservation. They offer free shuttle service from and to the airport nearby.

The “Queen” bedroom was rather small but nevertheless well-appointed with alarm/radio, coffee machine, refrigerator, microwave, desk, 2 chairs with one for the desk and another cushioned arm rest chair. However all of this was crammed into the area where the bed was located which made for some difficulty moving around the bed. There were also small tables on each side of the bed and lamps which had outlets at the base of those lamps. There was also a lamp on the desk. There was a phone book in the desk.

The sink for the bathroom was outside the bathroom area where the shower and the toilet were located. One nice feature was having dispensers in the shower which offered shower gel, shampoo and conditioner rather than having small bottles. The same concept was near the sink offering hand gel and lotion.

The water pressure was very low however so it took longer to rinse although the water became hot rather quickly.

Overall the room was clean and there were no smells.

One item that seems to be miss-leading is the size of the bed. The “Queen” size was actually a double bed size and not Queen. I brought that up to the front desk and they simply stated that others who resided at the hotel had pointed that out. The problem is that they designed at least the room I reserved by placing a smaller bed since the room dimensions were so small in the area of the bed that they were forced to use a smaller bed. Calling the bed a “Queen” is miss leading, thus if you request a “King” room maybe you will get a better room and bed.

The internet worked very slowly and kept disconnecting.

The breakfast was one of the highlights of our stay. The orange juice was very good and they offered REAL maple syrup for the waffles. In addition, other fruit drink juices, eggs, crisp bacon, potatoes, toast, bagels, hot and cold cereal, fruit, etc.

If you do not have a rental car be prepared to pay high prices for cab fares. For example we went to the University of Alaska’s Museum (est. 6+ miles away) and it cost us on average $20+ each way. Thus maybe a rental car is in your future?

There are a number of attractions in the area and you should do your homework but the 5 offered here are:
University of Alaska Museum of the North – This activity is well worth the travel and provides a rather detailed understanding of Alaska’s history. On the second floor there is an art exhibit of Alaskan art covering traditional and Avant Gard art. There are movies covering main themes about this state which are modest in cost. Museum fees currently are $14 for adults and children 5 – 14 years are $8. Movies fees are $5. You can easily spend a half day
Discovery River Tour – Excellent via paddleboat and worth the trip on the Chena River. This will take about a half day but it will be memorable. The current cost is $65 for Adults and $40 for children and infants under 3 are free.
Pioneer Park – A theme park within walking distance of the Best Western Hotel offers some value. This very modest park area offers with an old paddle wheeler positioned on dry land but no entrance and turn of the century shops and earlier to offer various items from Alaska’s history. There is a modest train running around the park that the kids would like. Small snack shops are available as well. I do not want to build this up too much but you could spend probably no more than a half day here. There are no entrance fees but this is a very modest theme park so be guided.
Kayaking down the Chena River – There are various places to secure a kayak of varying sizes to ply the waters. A general rate for double canoe is $130 and single kayak $100 for a 4 – 6 hour paddle but check around you might gain better rates.
a detailed look at the Fairbanks area and Alaska in general. There are no entrance fees.

Room Tip: You may need to consider renting a car as taxi fares are high and sometimes you could be over charged
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
SamanthaM4542, General Manager at Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2018

Hello Tom W. Thank you for your very thorough review. I do apologize for the bed appearing to be misleading, they are definitely queen sized, they are however lower to the floor to accommodate the ADA requirements we have to meet. We do have plenty of other rooms available though with Kind or Queen sized beds. I certainly hope we are able to turn that 4 into a 5 in the future! Thank you gain for your rating and review.

Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

Couldn’t ask for much more. Clean, comfortable, easy to find, quiet, friendly and very helpful staff. Cheerfully accommodated our needs including keeping our luggage when we checked out and then back in 48 hours later. Nice breakfast too.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
SamanthaM4542, General Manager at Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2018

Thank you so much Terry W. I am so happy to see that we were able to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

There are a number of good hotels near the airport and I've stayed at 1 other, I chose this one because of the Reward program (you can choose airline points instead of free hotel stays). The staff was helpful and the room nice. Even though it was close to the airport I did not hear the planes. I wasn't able to have their breakfast because my flight departed at 5:30am and breakfast was at 6. I probably will stay here again, my daughter lives in Delta Junction; so I make at least two trips a year.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed a quiet stay and did not hear any noise from the Airport! We would love to know what we could do to turn that 4 into a 5! I'd like to let you know about our grab-and-go option as well. If you are going to miss breakfast, you can always stop by our front desk for a a bottle of water, a piece of fruit and a granola bar! These bags are complimentary to all our guests during their stay. Hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here en route from Denali to Valdez and it was a good place for a one night stopover. The location was quiet and convenient, front desk staff was friendly, the room was comfortable and breakfast was included in the rate.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Samantha M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay. I am happy to see that the location was quiet and convenient, the front desk staff was friendly and the room was comfortable! Breakfast being included is definitely a benefit! We hope to see you again in the future and provide you with a 5/5 stay!