“Birgit Toennesen”

Brooklyn Way Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kennebunkport, Maine
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Have now stayed at this hotel two times visiting family in Park Slope. The rooms are small-ish, but perfectly functional, clean, and comfortable. Off-street parking is a plus (although the hotel now charges for it). The staff however are outstanding - very accommodating and helpful. We will definitely use this hotel for future visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CPwanderer
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed with my son e my daughter, in november/2011, for 3 days.

Pros: (1) It´s new and (2) has a good breakfast.

Cons: (1) Horrible neighborhood. We always felt insecure while walking the streets. (2) No security. I checked in the hotel a few days before my son. When he arrived, he just said who he was and got the keys. Nobody asked for some identification. Later, we found out that the hotel has security instructions that has this kind of advice: 'before opening the door for someone using a hotel uniform, check with the hotel administration if someone was sent to your room'. (4) The metro near the hotel could be used to make a horror movie.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank RosaneLuccadaLuz
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here for a family event. Hotel was only four blocks from the event and had free parking and breakfast. On main road (4th Ave) and subway nearby. My room had a great view. We had two rooms, one was a bit tighter than the other. Room nicely decorated with fridge, flat screen, nice two large comfy beds, nice bathing products. Professional staff! Did not get to enjoy the breakfast as we were in a rush, but their were plenty of places to eat on the way to our destination.

Room Tip: Convenient to Manhattan, new, and great views. Ask for a room with a view of Manhattan....lovely b...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Newbury Park, California
Reviewed 20 March 2012

As a Brooklyn native who lived in the Park Slope area when I was born, I was looking forward to staying in my hometown when I came back from California on both business and a mini-vacation. First, a brief disclaimer. A prior review described the surrounding neighborhood as "questionable". Though it may appear that way on the surface, the truth is that it's not questionable, it's Old New York. If you look at the local people on the street, it's a diverse mix of all ages and backgrounds, and many families and kids. Take a stroll up any of the numbered streets (24th, 25th, 26th, etc) toward 5th Avenue and you'll see gorgeous apartment buildings and homes with quiet surroundings. So don't let what the eye first captures dissuade you; this is a fine neighborhood to stay in. As with any part of the city, you should be cautious and street smart at all times, especially at night. But one of the pluses of this hotel is that the subway from Manhattan is just a few steps from the hotel entrance. And to head out in the opposite direction, just walk across the street.

Other positives for my wife and I were the small market next door, the Dunkin' Donuts across the street, free continental breakfast starting at 6:30 a.m., and the free (and fast) wi-fi in our room. But unfortunately, the staff dropped the ball repeatedly when it came to good service.

First, we booked a queen bed room through Travelocity and ended up in a room with only one double bed, not a comfortable option for two people. So we were switched during the evening to a room with two doubles. Then the next day, we had to switch AGAIN to the queen room we should have had in the first place. Somewhere during this rapid room shuffle, a jacket of mine was left in the wardrobe of one of the rooms. I asked the manager if housekeeping located it, he said no. We looked in the previous rooms, and it was gone for good. It indicated that housekeeping may have not even bothered to check the wardrobe when the room was cleaned. Further, the queen room we were put in was not replenished with new towels. So on these two points, the lack of thoroughness on housekeeping's part was very disappointing.

I also sensed a "we don't care" kind of attitude from some of the staff. They acted as if they were being bothered and inconvenienced by simple requests that didn't require any extended efforts. This will unfortunately prevent the hotel from becoming an above average option for travelers to NYC.

Based on the service lapses from the staff, this won't be a place that I will stay at again or recommend to others. It's a new hotel though, so opportunites still remain for it to put more energy and focus into providing quality service to guests. That said, a very marginal three stars is what the Best Western Plus Prospect Park Hotel earns.

Room Tip: Other reviewers mentioned that upper floor rooms with a view of Manhattan are best. I had requested...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank PaulNKat
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 March 2012 via mobile

Mostly I stay at Best Westerns and I was never disappointed. I really enjoyed my stay here, the hotel is conveniently close to the subway station. I liked the hot breakfast and the staff was terrific. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed March 2012