1,367 results
All reviews prospect park grocery store next door new york dunkin donuts across the street green wood cemetery same block waffle maker rooms are small on site parking visit family would definitely stay here again free breakfast convenient location park slope coney island the breakfast area bagels
Reviewed December 25, 2017 via mobile

Preface: I waited more than a week to write this review to give hotel a chance to make this right, but alas they failed. I rarely publicly share bad reviews or bad photos for restaurants as I’m in marketing and I like to give management an opportunity to address concerns as they may not know what happens every day with staff. I give people the benefit of the doubt and don’t trash places publicly as a passive way to give feedback. But in this case the hotel management either doesn’t care or are deliberately cutting corners and don’t want to own up to it. Or both. I also am a Best Western rewards member and I have never had a bad best western experience until now. Also disclosure that I booked this hotel with loyalty points so my post is not at all about $$. It’s about how to run a hotel and provide service in the hospitality industry.

Ok here goes:
The scenario: Saturday night reservation. I call to ask for an early check in (noon) because I know I won’t be back till 11pm or later, and am told the hotel is sold out and there is guaranteed check in at 3 but I can bring my bags. I bring my bags around 1pm, dragging them down stairs because the elevator is broken by front door and leave them with desk clerk. I’m a little concerned I’ll get a bad room by checking in late and ask about rooms am told a room is assigned to me and it’ll be available later. I come back after 11pm and go to my room. It is freezing. (It is and has been below freezing all day) Heat is not on. I figure out how to turn it on and or is set at 95 degrees. I think, hey that’s strange, but I wait and see what happens. I’ll spare the blow by blow here but bottom line is heat in that room doesn’t work and there are no maintenance staff who can fix it. I ask for a new room and I’m told I can have extra blankets. Eventually I learn that the hotel leaves one night staff on for the hotel, so he can’t even leave for any length of time to try to fix, there is no one to help, and that many rooms have broken heaters in the winter on an ongoing basis, and that they ran out of extra heaters for the room. I ask to find me another hotel room and after insisting twice that in the winter you can’t give someone a room with no heat, I am given a spare room that has no working tv. I say, ok, no working tv is fine as long as the room is heated. (Now 1 1/2 hours after I checked in). The sheets in the room looked as I have in the photo here (bed was made, I pulled sheets down to show how disheveled). The comforter had some disgusting looking stain on it, the bed skirt had a small stain that looked like dried blood. The chair at the desk table didn’t adjust so it was set at height for a child. The furniture was scratched. There were odd sparkles of decoration or something on the toilet that I moved to take a better photo. Now I understand I got the dregs of the room because of the alleged “sold out” and there was nothing I could do or the hotel would try to do to get me in another hotel so I just moved the offending bedding, turned a blind eye to the crappy room and went to sleep. Because, after all, I got this room only for a good night’s sleep to be near family since it was a 48 hour trip from a different time zone.

Here’s where my patience and understand went out the window. In the evening I asked for a late checkout. 1pm. Regular check out is 1130. I was told to call in the morning when I was then told because of the inconveniences I would be given ONE hour, and they are making a special exception because they are sold out. I asked if I could please stay till 1 since I lost a lot of sleep and wanted to get organized, relax, etc. the front desk person said “You HAVE to work with me. We are already giving you an hour.” She said again they were sold out. There was no moving her, so I hung up and promptly looked on line. The hotel had PLENTY of rooms to reserve that night. I was in a crappy room that they don’t even book because no tv and its terrible condition. Her explanation was an outright lie. Plus there was no way they were renting my room. How incredibly petty to not let an inconvenienced customer.... a loyalty one at that... a half hour extra. And then cop and attitude and act put upon.

Then I go to breakfast. The waffle machine is broken. Most supplies run out. Not enough people working to keep it clean and stocked.

The gym, while clean, did not have a working tv. Or they didn’t want it on.

So I do what any normal loyal customer would do and I call best western customer service and they were great. But here’s the thing, BW is a franchise so it’s up to each BW’s management to handle complaints. The bw customer service calls hotel and asks to speak with a manager and manager would not speak with them! So CS left message and the hotel never got back to me and took a full week to follow up with CS about the complaint.

CS asked that I be refunded all my points for the stay and the hotel said they’d only get half BECAUSE I still stayed there. Yeah I stayed in the broken down dirty room with no tv because the hotel knowingly and regularly rents out rooms that HAVE NO heat and it was the middle of the night and had nowhere to go. I did not get an apology from the hotel, I was nickeled and dimed (well actually “minuted”) about a late check out, and made to feel like they were doing me a favor.

The result is that I am posting photos of the room with this story because it seems to me that this hotel is understaffed and is not spending the money it needs to to maintain it properly. The heat issue is not a one time thing, and they do not disclose this problem. Several areas had items out of order. And they do not know how to treat customers.

I actually feel sorry for the desk staff because I have the impression they are given a script and can’t deviate from it.

This hotel should not be a best western franchise let alone a plus. Whoever the management is is penny wise and pound foolish and you will be taking a risk that you will have a bad experience if you stay here.

It would have cost them nothing to let me check out late. And next to nothing to return my points and comp my stay. A truly good hotel would also have offered me a free upgrade for a future paid stay. But they did none of this.

The good news is that BW corporate did right by me and agreed to return my points anyway and left a message with a sincere apology. I never heard from the hotel management by email or phone. They conveyed their denial of the points refund to corporate BW. They also never sent me a feedback survey that I get from all other BW stays. So clearly the management doesn’t want to know.

Yes this is a less expensive option than other BWs and hotels but I suggest staying away from here and support hard working and ethical hotel owners who know what it means to work in the hospitality industry.

Support good businesses. Not this one.

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank lckzuby
Christian A, Manager at Brooklyn Way Hotel, BW Signature Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the negative experience you encountered during your stay with us, and for the lack of response received.
I can certainly understand your frustration with us for not responding to you in a timely manner it is unacceptable.
It is disappointing to hear that we did not meet our regular hotel standards. We work hard to ensure our guests stays are most enjoyable. It is important to hear what we failed on and how we can improve. I would like to discuss your stay in more detail.
If you choose to return to us, I will ensure the temperature in your room and the room is to your liking.
We hope to restore your faith in the Brooklyn Way Hotel.
I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest regards,

Christian Aguayo

Reviewed December 19, 2017

First off, the staff was excellent and very accommodating. Got there early and they gave me a room immediately. Subway to Manhattan was right across the street. They even printed directions to a store I wanted to get to in Brooklyn. Room was nice and clean. Only thing didn't like were the pillows. They were small square pillows more like throw pillows rather than regular pillows. Were lumpy and uncomfortable. Otherwise, everything and everyone were excellent. Would stay again with better pillows.

Room tip: Stayed on 5th floor and room was quiet. A little tight space between beds and dresser, otherwise nice. Would stay there again.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Diana L, Guest Relations Manager at Brooklyn Way Hotel, BW Signature Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2017

Dear awhite613,

Thank you awhite613 for taking the time in submmitting in your review on your stay at the Brooklyn Way Hotel. Im happy to read that you enjoy your stay and that our hospitable staff was able to cater to your every needs. Im also glad that you found our location convenient to travel to your locations. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel directly if you have any question or would like to make a resevation for the near futere where we can give you the best deals. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2017 via mobile

I can’t say enough great things about this hotel. My experience here was amazing. Chose this hotel from other reviews and the subway location literally outside the front door. This hotels staff went out of their way to be helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent as well. Many local restaurants to walk to as the front desk recommended two and they were fantastic. The location is prime. You can hop on the subway right outside the front door and be anywhere in 10 minutes. This hotel is definitely a great place to stay and see New York. Thanks Brooklyn Way Hotel for a wonderful experience!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Diana L, Guest Relations Manager at Brooklyn Way Hotel, BW Signature Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2017

Dear Saltshaker13,

Thank you Saltshaker13 for giving the Brooklyn Way Hotel a perfect rating. I happy to read that we was able to make this stay a memorable and that you found our location easy to travel to you destination. I'm also pleased that you found our continental breakfast suitable to your liking. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel directly if you have any questions or would like to make a reservation for the near future. Hope too see you soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

Shad and April were both amazing and friendly. They were both happy to help out regardless of the request. Cudos to them, they made our stay comfortable and pleasant!! She we return with our kids, we'llbe coming back thanks to their customer service, first and fore most.
The rooms themselves are clean and well stocked, the bed and pillows were comfy. Noise levels were as good as it gets in NYC. The hotel is really close to the subway as well.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Ashleigh P,

Thank you for the perfect rating we appreciate your kind words and I will be passing it along to the rest of my hospitality agents. I'm happy to read that our hospitable agents where able to accommodate to your every needs. I'm also glad that you found hotel comfortable and pleasant to stay at. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel directly if you have any question or if you would like to make a reservation in the near future where we can give you the best deals.

Reviewed December 1, 2017 via mobile

Clean and comfy room. Staff was helpful and professional. Tamika was a front desk rude worker. But I won’t place her lack thereof on the stay. The breakfast was good there’s also DD’s across the street if you like the coffee which I do. I’ve stayed here twice and love the location. Parkslope is my home!! ❤️Love NY.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Diana L, Guest Relations Manager at Brooklyn Way Hotel, BW Signature Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2017

Dear Tatyana85,

Thank you Tatyana85 for giving us a perfect rating, I'm glad to read that you enjoy your stay at the Brooklyn Way Hotel. I'm also happy to read that we was able to reach your expectations. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel directly if you have any questions or would like to make a reservations where we can give you the best deals.