All reviews orthodox jewish jewish area bagels new york flushing ave breakfast room minute walk safe area nearest subway vending machine free breakfast hard boiled eggs beds were comfortable cleaning staff definitely stay here again brooklyn bridge williamsburg
Reviewed June 18, 2016

Sometimes you walk in to a room and your heart drops... Mine did and I was due to be in it a week. The windows were just above head height and obscured by plastic film. The room was gloomy and dank. The air conditioning was noisy and ineffective. The bed was too soft to be comfortable. I asked to be moved everyday and eventually was after making a lot of fuss. I had a really rubbish stay. The hotel is cheap. Some of the staff are nice but it is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in the States. Not a great area for tourist either.

Room Tip: check your room has a view
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon b
SamlKl, Manager at Pointe Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2016

Dear Jon,

I sincerely feel sorry that you have not gotten to enjoy your stay with us.

Some of our rooms have a better view of the New York City Skyline, and I'm sure that we tried our best to upgrade you to a better room, but simply weren't able due to high occupancy at the time.

Our hopes is that you will give us a second chance to offer you a Premium Room, and provide you with an amazing Joyous Stay.

Please don't hesitate to reach the management directly, to arrange for your future Stay!

Our apologies again, we do hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for one night at the end of our trip to New York, thought it would be a nice change and had read that Williamsburg was a nice area to visit and this hotel was close. First of all this hotel is one hell of a trek from any subway stop and it is not on a line that comes from anywhere or goes anywhere if you know what I mean? The area is filthy!!!! I have never seen streets littered with bags of garbage, cardboard and junk, it really was filthy!! On the plus side it felt safe even walking back at midnight! We had booked in a twin room but requested a double bed, because the hotel was full with a Jewish wedding the only upgrade we could have was a double suite for $25, it was claustrophobic at best, the floor was sticky, the door onto the balcony and the window were sealed so there was no fresh air into the room, the air conditioning made a racket all night long!! The breakfast was in polystyrene bowls and plates and although the girl in there did her best to keep everything full it was very tight for space and gave the feeling of what I imagine a hostel to be like rather than a hotel. The hotel is in the middle of the Jewish area, which wasn't a problem but did feel a little strange as there is no interaction at all not even acknowledgement of "hello"! The staff were really good, they did the best with what they were given. In the end this room ended up costing around $200 for one night, there are so much better and I would avoid at all costs!!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Toni,

Firstly thanks for writing your review. It is truly unfortunate that we were not able to upgrade your room at the time, when we had a full-House. It happens from time to time that we are completely sold out, and we cannot afford a last-minute upgrade request.

However, We can assure you that should you decide to visit us again, we will offer you an upgraded room. Please make sure to mention it in advance while options are still plentiful.

As you mentioned we are located in The Hasidic- Jewish Neighborhood, which does add a sense of security, allowing you to stroll the streets peacefully even late in the evenings.

Thanks for staying with us at The Pointe Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed June 14, 2016 via mobile

We stayed here four nights. The hotel room was very clean, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast each morning was full of choices and pretty darn good.
We had a suite, with a kitchen. It wasn't really a suite, though it just had 2 areas. The king bed had one side flush with the wall, but was comfortable.
The area is smack dab in the middle of a Hasidic Jewish area, which is no problem, except they won't speak or even look at you. On the other hand, the area is very quiet. It's 2 miles to the hot part of Brooklyn.

I liked the staff so much that I enjoyed the trip, but this is not really a king suite that I am used to.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackban

Dear Jack-ban

When it comes to choosing a Hotel, there's always the struggle to balance the choices between the Lively parts of the city, and the more Quieter parts. While you may enjoy to spend your day in the lively part of the city, after a whole tiring day of walking from one place to another, Many people are longing for some peace and sanity in the evenings, a place where they can get a good restful night's sleep.

We feel that our location offers a perfectly balanced choice!

While we aren't in the Midst of the noise and tumble of the city, you will not be deprived of anywhere you want to go, because we are close enough to any part of the city.

And, as you mentioned in your review, Our staff are Friendly and eager to help our guest to be as comfortable as possible.

Thanks again for staying with us, and for your review. we hope to see you again upon your future visit to Brooklyn.

Reviewed June 11, 2016

This was our first ever family holiday.

We had a suite for five – which is two double beds and a pull out sofa. We couldn't get a duvet for the sofa bed which was a shame, but my 15-year-old son was perfectly comfortable. The double beds were excellent – I usually struggle with hotel beds but these were really comfortable.

The kitchen in the room is extensive and well appointed.

The air conditioning was highly effective and controllable, although these things can make a lot of unavoidable noise. You can open the windows.

The bathroom was clean, modern and well appointed – good powerful shower.

The staff were excellent and very polite, friendly, responsive – everything you could really hope for.

We had more than one mix-up over the shuttle to the not terribly close subway station, but we got there in the end.

The Business Center needs work – I was able to use it to print out some tickets, but I needed to use more IT chops than most people would be prepared to apply. The room was being used as temporary storage, one of the two PCs had a corrupt profile, and the printer wasn't plugged in and was reporting errors. It seemed to be seldom used – but as I say I did get there in the end

WiFi works but needed a fair bit of interaction to stay connected. One of those browser-based authentication things where you keep having to re-enter the credentials.

The breakfast worked brilliantly for us – a good range of nice items are available in the included Continental Breakfast offered. It’s a small space but we always had enough room.

The main negative against the hotel is its location. It is a good ten minute walk from the nearest place to eat. There are many options on Myrtle Avenue – have a look on Google Maps to check the distance. It is a good fifteen minutes’ walk to the nearest subway. This didn't bother us – we like a walk and we used the bus and the subway – there are a couple of bus routes to get you to Lorimer St or Flushing Avenue subway stations.

The hotel is in the heart of an orthodox Jewish community. This means that the well-stocked supermarket across the road closes for Shabbat and you will need to make a trek if you need supplies on Friday/Saturday. The local area feels very safe and I was happy walking around with my kids day and night.

We really enjoyed our time there and would certainly stay there again; it was a little bit quirky but we felt welcomed and comfortable. . I have travelled to NYC many times on business but always stayed in Manhattan and it was great having the experience of being in Manhattan in the day and Brooklyn in the evening.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank AnAshleyJones

Hi Ashley,

Thank You for taking the time to write such wonderful and detailed review.

After reading your review, I Loved how you So Eloquently summed it up in your Bottom Line :
".....I have traveled to NYC many times on business but always stayed in Manhattan and it was great having the experience of being in Manhattan in the day and Brooklyn in the evening....."

While it is enjoyable to spend your day in lively Manhattan, it is Surely more delightful when you can also get to a Quite and Peaceful area for a good Night's sleep.

We appreciate your comments on our business center. We have shared it with Management, and we're already working on improving it. Upon your future visit you will Surely be pleased with all the improvements you will see.

Once again we are very thankful that you took the time and effort to write such detailed review. We hope to have you again as our Guest at the Pointe Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed June 9, 2016 via mobile

Friendly staff, huge rooms suitable for family and friends! Clean environment! Affordable! The area is not too great but the hotel is lovely! Just a few minutes walk to the subway! It's private and quiet as well! Staff was always happy to assist in whatever way they could!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank clovermyrie

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As you accurately described, While we are not located in the midst of the Lively section of Brooklyn, We are close enough to everywhere, just a few minutes to the Subway. So you get to enjoy a Quite and Peaceful night's sleep, and wake up refreshed to spend your day in Manhattan.

Hope to have you again as our Guest upon your next Visit to NYC.