“An enjoyable experience sans a very fickle elevator.”
Review of Hotel BPM Brooklyn

Hotel BPM Brooklyn
Ranked #44 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2015

Upon arriving at the hotel, I was surprised to find out my reservation didn't go through completely due to some issue with my bank but Richard at the front desk was very helpful and patient regarding the matter and we soon resolved the whole problem and my fiancee and I were finally able check out our room. The furnishings and design are quite modern looking but there's sadly some damage in some areas, scuffing on the paint of the table and cabinet along with a dent on the wall, besides that though, everything in our room was fine. I even brought a UV light with me to check out the sheets and it came out clean so good job on that.

Hotel BPM is pretty near two metro stations so it's at a convenient location. It's also in the same route as an ice cream van that passes by around 7PM each day (a tip given by one of the helpful staff members whose name I sadly didn't catch throughout our stay). The built-in sound system in the bathroom that's linked to the TV is a nice addition as it allows you to monitor the weather or listening to some music while showering or doing any business in the bathroom. My fiancee loved the lotion and body wash that the hotel provides as they seem to be made of an nicely scented herbal mix. Our only disappointment with the bathroom was the water pressure which left a bit to be desired but was still reasonable, this could also be because the hotel tries to be green/environmentally friendly thus using less water? Kudos if so.

The sheets, pillows and bed are comfy which is great after spending almost all day walking around Brooklyn or Manhattan and sleep came pretty easily for us. The provided alarm clock is also nice and comes with an iPod dock if you have one. There's a Keurig coffee maker which we didn't really get the chance to use as we opted to just have coffee downstairs each morning with the provided complimentary breakfast, which is decent but we did find ourselves missing the scrambled eggs and crispy thin bacon from the nearby Best Western Plus that we also tried out. It would be nice if the hotel could rotate breakfast choices every other day or so to add a bit more variety.

We were situated on the 4th floor and it was pretty quiet so we weren't able to experience any of the noise that some other reviewers complained about which may be more of a thing if there's a DJ around and you're a few floors lower. Other things that could be improved on were the air conditioner/heater being quite noisy and sometimes we didn't get a new set of towels but that was easily remedied by a quick call to the lobby where one of the friendly staff would bring what you requested over pretty quick. Even when we needed boxes to pack some extra stuff in for our flight back, one of the custodians was able to provide a variety of boxes to suit our needs so you know these guys are on point!

The one huge problem we experienced throughout our stay was the elevator. Its speed as many complain about is a thing which definitely would sour the mood if you're in a hurry but the worst thing that could happen is that it'd be broken for the rest of the evening which happened twice during our stay, forcing us to take the stairs and even worse when it happened while we were about to check out and leave for the airport with all our luggage. Carrying all those bags and stuff along the four flights of steps while my fiancee was currently experiencing a bad knee was quite frustrating.

Still, despite it all, the staff of Hotel BPM is really nice and helpful. There's free WiFi in the lounge and in your room. The area is pretty safe and it's situated in a convenient location not too far from two metro stations, a convenience store, a laundromat and a bunch of places to eat. Also the recommended car service (Bell Car Services) they have is a SUPERB deal, running me and my fiancee only $35 to head to JFK and the car service station is located just a few blocks away so they'll be there ready to pick you up in no time. We'd definitely consider Hotel BPM worth another stay again if we go hit up Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Many thanks to the staff at Hotel BPM and to DJ Bilal for bringing the whole thing into the world.

Room Tip: To ensure peace and quiet, a room three floors or higher is recommended. Also be aware that the TV h...
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank tenpoundpixel

Reviewed 25 April 2015 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Looks pretty cool on the outside and in the lobby, but it stops there. The furniture in the room was pretty much falling apart, and the floor we were on reeked of weed and some terrible attempt to cover the smell, which drove my allergies wild. We also were stuck in the elevator for about 15 minutes, and when we finally got out, not one employee asked if we were ok. Took the stairs the rest of the time there. Needless to say, won't be booking here again. It's worth it to pay a little more and stay somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kwhit0219
Reviewed 20 April 2015 via mobile

I stayed there for 2 nights and I had problems with my reservation because of myself, Richard at front desk solved this problem really fast, room was clean and looked recently refreshed, price is absolutely affordable! Great place to stay after busy day at Brooklyn!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2015

Pros:
+ Hotel really near from metro station (36th street x 4 ave, lines D/N/R pass through there);
+ On Brooklyn, well located;
+ You can reach Manhattan main stations in about 35min - 5min walking to 36th station, 30min on some subway;
+ The room is perfect! It is really nice, charming and well-maintained;
+ They have a good breakfast with some kinds of breads, coffee, yogurt, fruit salad, juices, and a waffle machine;
+ The staff is incredible! All of them are very kind and helpful. Furthermore, if english is not your primary language, they will have patience with you - like they did with me =);
+ If you intend to purchase some stuff and send it to hotel, just do it and relax. They are reliable, and they will hold these things to you. I had purchased about 10 things before I arrived on hotel, and I had no problems with those packages, at all;

Cons:
- The elevator is not that good - It is slow, and I've got stuck on it once;
- They don't have milk on breakfast;

All in all, I'd certainly stay there again! =]

Hint: Consider using the taxi service affiliated with them! How-to is described on guest-guide (yes, you have a guest guide in your room). I have paid US$ 35 from hotel to JFK airport- this is the same price for a 2-people trip via public transport!

NOTE: Ignore the fisheye effect on photos. Gopro's fault. =]

2  Thank Filipe W
Reviewed 12 April 2015

i stayed at this hotel maybe last week i got there after 11 so i'm guessing i was dealing with the night auditor. she was so RUDE i remeber her name! (Shandell) i get there and theres not even a welcoming smile (i work in a hotel myself so i know how important first impressions are) and if your establishment has the title "Hotel" guest service agents should live up to the name. Breakfest was soooo disappointing! at check in i was told there is a compt hot breakfest in the AM. and here i am up bright and early coming downstairs to the only thing being hot was the coffee/tea. There wasn't even PAM for the waffle maker which cause stick and no good outcome so they had to remove it all together. Aside from service being a blow, the room was quite nice. Bathroom real modern and cute, bath products smelt really good, and the robes where a plus!! as was the mini-fridge. The green was what attracted me to this hotel in the first place. oh, and if you like firm not too soft beds this is the bed for you at Hotel BPM.

3  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed 6 April 2015

Not sure what hotel this was before a BPM, but someone should alert the manager that the filth in the halls needs to be addressed quickly.They remodeled the rooms to have a cool look and feel, very modern, but the rest of the hotel is nasty. The elevator feels like it will break down at any moment and they gouge you pretty hard on everything else.

Rooms are tiny, which I understand since its Brookyln, but this was a little ridiculous. Not much more to say other than we were happy to leave and cannot imagine a scenario which will bring us back.

Reviewed 5 April 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. The longest place in 1 spot on our trip. The staff were all friendly and the proximity to the subway was good.
The room was clean but cramped. Narrower cupboards and desk would have given it a bigger feel. The roll down blinds don't keep the light out so once the sun is up its bright.
The bathroom looked really nice however once I hopped in the shower I was very disappointed. There wasn't enough pressure to get the entire wall head of the shower to work so we had to use the handheld head. After a long day walking around in cold New York all you really want is a nice hot shower with some pressure.

The hotel wasn't terrible by any means but I they could definitely make some improvements.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends