“Good for the price !”
Review of Sumner Hotel

Sumner Hotel
Ranked #39 of 58 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2015

This hotel was a decent hotel in Brooklyn. If you don't want to pay the higher prices in Manhattan then this is a good choice . The area around is a little rough but never once did we feel unsafe .. Hotel staff was helpful and the room was good , small but we did not stay in it very much . Breakfast was ok .. Not great. No real coffee just a machine . But a cup got you going then get coffee elsewhere . I asked for the higher floor because I had read the bottom floor was noisy . It was very close to the J line subway which will take you pretty much anywhere . I would stay again for sure .

Room Tip: Top floors
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lori S

Reviewed 13 June 2015

Overall very good experience! We stayed for 4 nights. The hotel staff was attentive; the check in as well as check out was fast and smooth. The room was super clean and neat and the bathroom and the shower too! Only one down side: the insulation between the room and the hallways was almost non-existing and we could hear people talk in the hall. However, the insulation between the room and the super busy street was very good. The hotel DOES have a 24 hour reception desk and they do NOT charge for clean towels (just correcting the info I read somewhere). The hotel is a phenomenal 2-minute walk from Flushing Ave subway stop (direct M and J trains to Manhattan) and it takes about 15-20 minutes to Manhattan. The neighborhood is totally ok and normal for New York-we felt safe and ok (I am definitely on the right side of the law and would have felt if there was a reason to worry). The breakfast was normal too-few things to choose from, all fresh and ok. Another good thing: since we needed to check out by 11am but our flight was in the evening, we were offered to store our luggage in a hotel, for free, while we went for more walks to Manhattan.
Overall, very good experience, just what I prayed for. After all, we all get what we truly want. God bless!

Stayed: June 2015
3  Thank Sinisa B
Reviewed 11 June 2015

This is like the other reviews in a shady part of town, I didn't wish to venture out late at night because it didn't feel safe.

The actual hotel looks ok from the outside, looks like it is well maintained.

When I arrived it was around 21:00ish, the guy on the front desk was quite difficult to understand and didn't really explain that he was using my card as proof of purchase and it looked like he was trying to double charge me even though I paid. I struggled to get him to understand my concerns, but eventually he gave me the door card and I thought I can speak to someone different in the morning.

The lift to the room was nice, clean, no smells of urine or other horrible bodily fluids that sometimes get left in lifts. Once on the floor of my room I could hear various other rooms so they are definitely not sound-proof and could hear people laughing and making a fair bit of noise. However once in my room the only time I could hear noise was when the people who had the room next to mine came back and then it was just their door slamming shut.

The room was tidy, looked clean and looked comfortable. There was a big TV on the wall with a decent selection of channels and an interactive section for live flight information and weather (which unfortunately did not work). The bed was comfy and clean, decent amount of pillows. There was a desk and the WiFi although a little awkward did eventually allow me in. On my phone there was the sign in icon at the top, but it failed to load the page each time, instead I had to load the browser and it redirected to the sign on page and that worked.

The bathroom was quite small, but had fresh towels, soap and supplies, there was no bath but a shower, the shower was fixed to the wall but had good power and looked clean. There was an adapter for shavers and a good sized mirror.

Unfortunately I did not have the complimentary breakfast as I was out of the hotel before they started serving each day (07:30).

I did speak to someone who clarified the situation with the card being taken and closely checked my bank statement to make sure as well. Checking out was simple.

Room Tip: Be careful, there is a hospital near by so frequent sirens
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank MrCWolf
Reviewed 10 June 2015

I stayed at this hotel and had a decent expectation of the hotel for the price. Hotel staff have accents so heavy it makes them hard to understand. Manager is never on site.. I had several issues with my room key consistently having to be re-registered after each use. Followed by a visually appealing room with a tub full of brown water. Dusty fridge and what seemed to be a used condom behind the nightstand. Toilet seat was busted off, and the water pipes were full of brown water. Also received a parking ticket on behalf of the incompetent staff who couldn't tell me if I was allowed to park on the street... in-front of their own hotel. Only plus side experience I had with this hotel was how close the subway was.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jeramey
Reviewed 8 June 2015

Overpriced for what it is. Check in staff was incompetent. We had a room in basement floor. It felt dark and dirty, humidity smell in the room. Bed was comfortable and clean. Maybe upper floor rooms are/feel better. Breakfast area very small. Overall experience was poor.

Not recommended.

P.S. They double charged my credit card - it took some calls and many e-mails to get my money back.

Room Tip: don't take basement floor room
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2015

Stayed at the Sumner for four days. The one benefit is proximity to the subway. The neighborhood is grimy and run down. The service was, to say the least, spotty. When we arrived it was extremely hard to communicate through the bullet-proof glass because the microphone wasn't working. We shouted back and forth and checkin took about 15 minutes despite having prepaid room and no other customers to be helped. Once in the room the towels were literally threadbare--it took two to dry a normal sized adult. One day the cleaning crew left us with one used towel and one clean one (for two adults). It took almost an hour to get another (thin) towel. When our second child arrived at 12:30 she couldn't check in at 12:30 because the room wasn't clean. We came back at 5 PM and she still couldn't check in because of a "shift change," whatever that means. When we asked for help getting taxi (more shouting through the bullet proof glass), the staff had no suggestions. The breakfast was all carbohydrates, except for bananas and oranges. The staff wasn't negative, they were just clueless. Maybe this is normal for $150 - $175 a night in Brooklyn, but from the web site I expected much more.

Room Tip: Even if you prepay weeks in advance, don't expect them to put families with multiple rooms on th...
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2015

Started by letting us get in our room earlier than check in time. That was very nice of them to do this. Room was on the 7th floor in the back. Quiet by New York City standards. The clean was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good enough (waffles, bagels, yogurt, cereal, fruit and a wonderful array of teas) to get your day off well. The shower was awesome. I didn't want to get out. haha TV was great with a good choice of stations.

Room Tip: Free coffee and tea all day!!!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family