US$119
US$79
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$155
Hotels.com
Riverside Inn of Alamosa(Alamosa)(Great Value!)
US$72
All reviewsbisonsand dunesnature conservancyriding experiencediverse groupstewart houseexperienced ridersunforgettable vacationjack rabbitscattle drivebuffet stylehot tubsangre de cristo mountainsthe san luis valleysandhill cranesdunes national parkspent nights
Reviewed August 28, 2016

I spent three days at Zapata ranch in August 2016 with my husband, our 21 year old daughter and our 16 year old son. We all have enjoyed horseback riding for many years, and we treasured the chance to ride in the Great Sand Dunes National Park, on the Medona section of the ranch--seeing hundreds of wild bison and a herd of elk, and on the Zapata section of the ranch, with a chance to help push cattle from one section to another. The lodgings were extremely comfortable and the food was absolutely delicious. The staff could not have been more helpful, from the office staff in planning our trip to the wrangler who rode with just our family group each day. This was a magical, unforgettable experience. I hope that we can return soon.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorna610
Reviewed August 21, 2016

We wanted to see the sand dunes and only by coincidence found this Nature Conservancy owned ranch that is right there. Not luxurious or "dude ranchy" but very much like a working ranch with cattle and also a 2000 head bison heard. If you are a horse person this is the place for you--60 horses and tremendous wranglers, absolutely outstanding . There were 8 guests and we were the only Americans --Norwegians, Dutch, English and French. ---all delightful, serious horse people and fun.
Food was first rate---straightforward as it should be in a place like this but fresh local ingredients all expertly prepared. Rooms are basic ranch accommodations that are very clean and cared for daily---again , all consistent with the property and experience. We went with John, a local naturalist one day---he knew the area intamently having worked for the forest service. An excellent and engaging teacher. Finally, everyone working at the ranch was a delight --as one of the guests said, " I don't think anyone here knows the word "no"". We did not go there for the riding as everyone else did---they were all very accomplished---but we had a tremendous time none the less.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shelley B
Reviewed August 14, 2016

We were for 4 days at Zapata in Summer 2016. I had a beautiful 3,5 hours ride in the Great Sand Dunes NP (through sand, river & woodland) - the first time in my live on horseback. All the Wranglers are very helpful, qualified and friendly, the food tasted "home made" and we liked it, the athmoshere at the homestead (with guest rooms log cabins) was peaceful (nature all around), we had the chance to have very kind guests with us the time we were there, and the ranch-program was very interesting (in very small Groups). You get a lot for the relatively high price.
Alex from Basel/Switzerland

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2016

My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary at Zapata Ranch and could not have been more pleased with everything about the experience. If you want to get a taste of ranch life on horseback, go here. If you enjoy mountains, incredible scenery, unique range land and hiking, go here. If you enjoy wildlife go here. If you want to meet some of the best people, go here.

I learned so much by spending a day with professional photographer Steve Weaver, who gave me more than my money's worth. He gave me valuable tips on how to improve and showed me how to take some INCREDIBLE photos. A naturalist, John, gave us more than a guided hike, he connected us to the land, its wildlife and its past. Trail rides on horseback were so much fun, not just into the Great Dunes National Park, but perhaps the highlight of the trip was the work experience of helping to move about 50 head of cattle from one grazing area to another. In the process, we learned about how Zapata protects the land through natural approaches to raising its cattle and buffalo herds and its horses. Really learned a lot.

Our accommodations were clean and comfortable, and the food--emphasis on locally grown--was incredible, but I can't say enough about the management and staff. Hard working and considerate, everyone from the manager, Kate, to the wranglers bent over backwards to make sure we had a great time. So patient with those of us with limited horse riding experience. They were just the best and I would go back in a heart beat. I highly recommend Zapata Ranch.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob K
Reviewed July 31, 2016

This is an amazing place to unplug. The pack trip took us into the Sangre de Cristo mountains with amazing scenery. The ranch itself is beautiful on its own and we plan on visiting again. The food was excellent and we loved the atmosphere in the family style dining area.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family