“When You Need A Place to Sleep”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gatlinburg
Ranked #62 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I traveled to Gatlinburg from Louisville, KY over the latter part of the first week and first weekend of May, 2012. This was a spontaneous trip with only about 24 hours advance planning. On prior trips to this and other mountain destinations we have had relaxation, peace, and quiet as a priority. On such trips we have booked a spacious, homey, cabin. Our aim for this long weekend, however, was to see and do as much as possible. This being the case, we sought clean, inexpensive accommodations anticipating very limited use of our room. On the recommendation of a friend who touted the virtues of its central location, we booked three nights at the Microtel Inn. We arrived about 30 minutes prior to the stated check-in time, parked in a space under the Inn, and found our room was available. Check-in was friendly and simple at the desk in the small lobby. Our room was on the first floor, same as the lobby, near the elevator about midway down a long inside entrance corridor. Entering the room, my eye first went to a perfect iron-shaped scorch on the carpet at the foot of the bed. This was a poor first impression, but as I scanned the remainder of the very small room, I noted its cleanliness and good use of the limited space. A large window and liberal use of mirrors created an illusion of openness and clever placement of cabinets, drawers, and shelves provided adequate storage of clothes, etc. The bed was firm and comfortable, the linens crisp and simple. The bathroom was also small but adequate with nice hot water and decent pressure in the shower. A strong little hairdryer was mounted to the wall and there was a heat lamp overhead. The room featured a small fridge that worked well enough to freeze our canned drinks the first night before we adjusted the thermostat. The air conditioner was quiet and allowed for sufficient range of adjustment to stay comfortable. Placed near the ceiling in one corner was a flat screen TV with a clear picture and about 75 channels. The room was sparsely furnished with a minimum of towels and bathcloths and no amenities like body wash, shampoo, etc. There were two of the typical tiny soaps. Requests for additional washcloths and towels were quickly and courteously met. Wi-fi can be strong at times but is only sporadically accessible (though the signal from nearby hotels will likely provide access during such down times). The hotel advertises a continental breakfast but unless you are willing to rub shoulders - literally - with others in the morning rush to get at the bagels, toast, packets of oatmeal and cold cereals in what amounts to a walk-in closet, don't count too highly on this as a benefit of your stay. A few steps away from the "closet", a coffee and juice dispenser is also available. Without question, the biggest advantage of this Inn is its location. It is within steps of the highly visible "Space Needle Observation Tower" in downtown Gatlinburg. This location puts you within a few blocks walk of the vast majority of the shops and attractions advertised for tourists. The open chair ski lift attraction, visible from everywhere, is a five minute walk from the lobby of the Microtel and hundreds of shops and attractions are within a 10 minute walk. If for no other reason, the Microtel should be on your radar if you want to be in the thick of all things Gatlinburgian. Overall, we found the clean, comfortable bed and adequate shower sufficient for our basic needs and at a very minimal cost. Essentially we returned to the room late each night and left early each morning, so the central locale and decent place to shower and sleep made the economically priced Microtel Inn a good value, well-suited to our purposes for this particular trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DrMike83158
There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gatlinburg

Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

The only thing I say good about the place is the low price. You get what you pay for. Will not stay there again!! Front desk was unprofessional. I think they will how anybody off the street. Went down stairs to ask for late check out. The person working at front desk was watching Pawn Stars. And would not get off the sofa to help us. All we wanted was a late check out. When we did ask about it. This is the comment we got. Sorry not authorized to do that. That is not true. I worked in Hotels for yrs. They are there to accommodate the guest. The bathroom was fifty. Caught a rash walking on bathroom floor. Took a shower and my feet was dirtier after the shower. Next time only American owned hotels only!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is a good budget hotel. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. The biggest advantage is that the hotel is just off the parkway so all the attractions in Gatlinburg are just a walk away.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Just looking for a place to crash for a night after hitting up the Gatlinburg strip? Don't want to spend much money? Well that was the case for us! This is an older and out of date hotel, but it was cheap and faily clean. The room was small, so I wouldn't suggest this for a long trip. A one night stay was perfect for us. It's about a blocks walk from the center of Gatlinburgs strip, so it's a great location. I felt very safe in this area and all the workers were friendly! The rooms also had a fridge and free WiFi.
Again, this was great for a place to rest your head for the night an nothing else. Just keep that in mind and keep in mind, you get what you pay for! I spent less then $50 for the night and I don't feel I could have found a better place for the money!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fairchild84
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Pros: location, bathrooms pretty clean except for hair

Cons: very strong stale smoke odor everywhere in motel; nasty looking furniture in room...would not sit on it; nasty carpet...would not walk on with bare feet; extra sheets and blankets for suite were very dingy & stained...would not use.

Could not wait to leave this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was kind of scared based on the reviews that I have read about the hotel. With the price so low, it was hard not to give the hotel a try. I booked online but I called a few days before hand to confirm my reservation. A guy answered the phone and he was kind of rude. I guess people don't call to confirm reservations anymore. When we arrived, they let us check in early. The lady at the desk was very nice. She gave us a room on the third floor away at the end of the hallway. She said she did it because it would be quiet for the baby but I am sure it was so no guests would call in the middle of the night complaining about a crying baby. When we got to the room, the room is small but there was plenty of space for our playpen and an twin sized airbed if needed. The sheets were super clean and the bathroom was clean. Yes, somethings need to be remodeled but the hotel was all that we needed. My son was excited about the window seat and slept on it and watched tv the whole time.

Its nothing fancy. We didnt try the breakfast. There is no pool. We just needed a place to sleep and easy to get to when we needed a break or to fill up on baby items. There is also an elevator on the outside so you can easily get to it from your car. Probably not the safest set up for night but it was convenient for us when we were out and about & to pack up our stuff and take it to the car.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We travel to the Gatlinburg/Smokies area a few times every year, since it's only about a 3.5hr drive for us. We have stayed at the Microtel in Gatlinburg a total of 3 times over the past couple of years. The location of this hotel is just about as good as you can get in Gatlinburg -- it is literally steps from the CENTER of the Parkway, which pretty much makes almost all of the major attractions and restaurants within close walking distance. That is the main reason that we have come back to this same location a few times - we like to be so close to the "touristy" area. The hotel also has free parking, which just adds to the convenience.
However, we have noticed that this hotel is in FAST decline. The first two times that we stayed here, we really had no complaints. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast good, and was just generally a clean, comfortable place to sleep and stay.
However, this time around was a completely different situation. Immediately upon checking into our room, we were greeted with a cloud of disgusting smoke in our room. We immediately opened the window to air out the room with some fresh mountain air. Because it was late (around 1:00am), we didn't request a room change at that time. We were just so exhausted that we immediately went to bed. Of note, the room was filthy -- the carpet was obviously soiled there were old hairs all over the pillowcases (did they wash the sheets after the previous guests??) and the bathroom had several cigarette burns noted throughout. It was just in awful condition.
The next morning, I literally woke up to an asthma attack. Obviously this must also be a "pet room" because I am allergic to cats and dogs, and was in a full-blown allergy attack that morning. Thankfully I had my inhaler on hand. Between the stench of old cigarettes and the leftover pet dander in the room, I knew I was going to need a room change.
We walked down to the front desk and breakfast area. I immediately went to the receptionist to explain my situation and request a room change. She abruptly informed me that if I wanted a room change it would be a considerable price difference because I had booked and prepaid through Hotels.com. It was almost as if they intentionally gave me a bad room because I didn't book through them and were going to upcharge me considerably to get an acceptable room. I am not much for arguing, so I just looked the receptionist in the eye and said "Well, I just want you to know that I am VERY unhappy about this" and walked away. I could have stood there and demanded to speak to the manager, but I just dropped it. I didn't want to let this ruin my trip. I just resigned myself to knowing that I would be in the room as little as possible... so we pretty much just used the room to sleep in. I needed as much time out of that allergenic smokehouse as possible. Thank goodness there was a window that would open and I had my inhaler available.
We also noticed that the breakfast is not as good as it used to be as well. That's not a deal-breaker for me, though, because I am appreciative to be able and grab a complementary bagel and banana in the morning. But both my husband and I agreed that the breakfast used to be much better.
All in all, we probably won't be staying here any more. It was just such a poor experience (and unhealthy!!!) that we just can't bring ourselves back to this place, even if it has perhaps one of the best locations in town. It was very disappointing. VERY disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple