“Great for the price and location!”

PARKVIEW INN & SUITES
Ranked #66 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great for the price and location!”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I know that there are some pretty pitiful reviews on here about the Gatlinburg Howard Johnson. However, when considering the price, I was more than happy with our accommodations. We stayed here over New Years and we couldn't have asked for a better hotel that suited our needs. We don't spend a lot of time in the hotel usually -- we just sleep and shower there. The hotel gave us just that - a comfortable bed and a clean shower. AND they had a very good little continental breakfast each morning as well. The hotel is in a great location; within walking distance of all downtown Gatlinburg attractions, restaurants, and shops. Even though we didn't didn't actually watch the ball drop from our room, the hotel is also in clear view of the Space Needle where the ball drop and fireworks show take place on New Year's Eve.
The hotel had some technical issues with our door and ended up having to replace the lock while we were there, but they were very nice and professional through the issues. My husband and I are very laid back people, so we didn't mind the minor inconvenience with the door. After all, it really isn't their fault that it broke while we were there. They had it fixed the next morning and it worked fine for the rest of our stay.
Overall, if you're looking for a decent bed, good breakfast, and perfect location for Gatlinburg, I'd recommend staying here! If you're looking for a high-end five-star resort, go stay at the expensive place down the street.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NurseJessRN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We rented a room for New Years eve ball drop and stayed the next night. Before i got checked in a man asked me if i had my room yet i said no , he said dont get it. Of course we didnt listen it was all that was left in the town.We had a room on the top the hill,the room had a smell, the carpet looked like it hadnt been vacumed, and the bathroom was dirty. When you walked on the carpet with socks your socked turn black. The housekeeping is horrible,at best they change the beds and thats it, and no they dont clean room while your there or give u clean towels. Also the lady at desk is very rude and does not give refunds.Will never stay there again and we stay in Gatlinburg at least 10 times a year.

Room Tip: Rooms at different hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Prattville, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We read the reviews here on the website and was reluctant to stay here, I am very glad that we didn't listen to them. Upon check in we were warmly greeted by the gentlemen working the desk and he was very cordial explaining everything about the hotel. We had a city view room on the first floor, upon entering it was very clean and orderly. I read several comments about the housekeeping not replacing towels but our room was cleaned and towels replaced daily. We were able to walk everywhere we needed to go, we were on block from the hard rock cafe and only a short walking distance to everything. We were able to watch the New Year's eve activities from our room with a clear view. I am not sure why people were complaining about this facility. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for odd number room, it has the city view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We love visiting Gatlinburg and as a result have had a chance to stay at a few different hotels. What I liked about this hotel is its relatively nice location, though there are better. The room was nice, there are some beautiful maids on staff who do a wonderful job with your rooms and the prices are fair.

What I did not like were the cigarette butts scattered all over the pool area, which made for an unpleasant experience. Not a bad stay overall.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
North Carolina
Reviewed 18 November 2011

If you want a clean room, good rates and a nice location then the Howard Johnson may be what you are looking for. The breakfast is not great but it's free waffles and that's about it. The cleaning service came and took out trash but no clean towels were left. All the employees that we came across were nice.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the building next to the office/check in. If you don't get that building th...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My family stayed here oct 14 and 15, 2011. A fireplace room at the top of the hill that there web site didn't mention. There were bugs in our room probably because of the two inch gap under our door. The room was just worn out. You would not want to walk barefooted in this room. It was a dump another Regan hotel dump. I doubt Brownlee Reagan reads these reviews or if he does it doesn't matter he has my money.

Room Tip: don't stay in a Regan owned hotel in Gatlinberg TN
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
STANFORD, KY
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here Oct 14~16, 2011. The location is wonderful, within walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. The hotel is nothing fancy, but clean and reasonably priced. However....
....The WiFi did not pick up in our room -ever. And the free wifi service is one of the reasons we picked this hotel. Also, our room was never cleaned during our stay. We had no fresh towels and when I called the front desk to politely inform them of this, I was curtly told that I could pick up the towels at the front desk, without so much as an apology. I really don't think it is too much to expect clean towels, but to be treated with disrespect is unacceptable. I guess once they get our money, nothing else matters.
Oh, I almost forgot... thank goodness for the free continental breakfast ~ the powdered donuts were stale and hard as a rock. Yum.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple