“Disappointing Stay”

Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Augusta, Georgia
“Disappointing Stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

As many people note, the one hour check-in can put you in a sour frame of mind, especially on a hot summer day. Our room was downright filthy and my wife mopped the floor because everyone's feet were becoming blackened as we walked around. I texted our concierge about the problem and she was responsive, the next day there were people at our door to clean, my wife says they actually mopped twice (the water was still black after the first-remop) and ended up telling us to stay away while they cleaned the carpets with some noxious chemicals. She said the manager got involved and called the cleaning crew to show them the black mop water. They were done by the evening when we returned. I felt like this would have been an opportunity for management to make a gesture of some sort for making us clean our own room the first night and then kicking us out while they did it the next day... I've never stayed anywhere that would do such a thing. We rented the room with no obligatory timeshare sales pitch, but our concierge talked us into one after we arrived - we canceled it after the experience with the poor cleanliness. There was also no coffee pot for the coffee maker, and the room service food we ordered was delivered a half hour later than they said to expect it. The pool was crowded, heavily chlorinated and there was significant sediment on the bottom. These might have been things we would dismiss had it not been for the whole room cleaning experience. I cannot recommend this place.

3 Thank Brad J
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. My sincere apologies to you and your family regarding the housekeeping issues you found in your room upon checkin. I understand your disappointment regarding “ the whole room cleaning experience” I am disappointed as well. I will tell you, had this situation been brought to my attention, I would certainly go out of my way to make it right by you and your family. Moreover, if you were to email me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com, we can discuss what I could do to make things right by you. We thank you for your business and do hope to hear from you.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My family and I spent a week at Westgate Resorts and had a great time. We found that there were days we just stayed at the resort at the pool or the indoor water park (kids favorite)! There are lots of activities offered and basically anything you could need is right there. Everyone was friendly and very responsive when ever we need extra supplies, etc. The grounds are very well kept, I love all the flowers! My only recommendation might be to update some of the furniture. The unit we stayed in had the same furniture from 11 years ago when we stayed there for the first time ever. Overall, we had a fabulous time and I highly recommend this resort to any one looking for a great place to stay!!

• Stayed June 2012
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay at our property. I am disappointed that our property design and decor did not meet your expectations. We have lot of enhancement and upgrades in the works. We are glad you enjoyed the beauty of our hotel and amenities. Please come back and visit us soon.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

First time (and last) staying there.
Pros: great location, right near Gatlinburg and Smokeys, pretty surroundings and cabins look nice from outside.
Cons: line at reception, aquapark not included in price (was a surprise to us), cabin/room interior was not great (definitely not up to its price), rooms are not cleaned daily (you have to ask for more towels, so it's like a 2-star hotel basically), checkout is at 10:00am and they take your parking pass, so you can't even go to the pool to spend time before departure (like at any prudent hotel). We did not get pulled in to the whole time share discussions, which was good at least.
Verdict: come here if you like time share and staying in a place for over a week, do not come here if you want a worthwhile stay of 2-4 days and normal services you expect of a 4-star hotel.

1 Thank AlexanderT14
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are indeed a timeshare property. Like all other timeshare properties, we also have a rental component to the property. I think many of our very satisfied guests would disagree with you regarding your recommendation for the length of stay. We do have many happy guests who stay with us for one or two nights or even for a week. Many comments on this site will testify to that. We thank you for your business and wish you the best with your accommodation search the next time you are in the Gatlinburg area.

Clayton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Traveled here with my father and son. My father owns a timeshare here for 9 years. The unit overall is nice but can tell that the paint and some other finishes need to be touched up. A giant picture of the owner with Dolly Parton greets you everytime you enter the room - guess he has a big ego? They have continued to add units to the location but the pools, parking, etc do not seem to keep up with the increased number of people. The indoor water park is nice but it is small. Location is nice being inbetween Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Shuttle service, both those which take you into the towns for a small fee and the resorts that help you get around the very hilly environment, are nice to have. Staff is always visible but seems like there is always laundry or bagged trash sitting on the sidewalks waiting to be picked up. Everything is furnished for you including some cleaning supplies (dish detergent, dishwasher detergent, trash bags, etc) and everything worked fine.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. With close to 800 units at this property, we are constantly upgrading the interior finishes such as paint, wallpaper, carpet, etc. We are very aggressive regarding this program which is on-going throughout all twelve months of the year. For your information, our water park is 60,000 square feet. When it was built a few years ago, it was one of the largest water parks in the south. Also, for your information, we have several trucks constantly touring the property daily to pick up trash and linen from units that are being cleaned from guests who have checked out that day. With the property being spread out over 55 acres, we still make these pickups quite frequently. Thanks for the input and thanks for your business. We hope to see you again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I own at Westgate Lakes in Orlando. We decided to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort. My immediate family and about 20 other family members rented an entire cabin. We loved the cabin. Our only complaint was that the rooms were not adjoining. We did not like going outside to visit each other but we could live with it. The service was great. The kids had a major complaint. The water park was not entertaining. They were bored after about a hour. The youngest child in our group is 7. The oldest was 15. I was so glad that we did not have to pay because we are Westgate Owners.

It took about an hour to check-in. The attendant was nice but it just took too long.
I found some mold on a shower. I called housekeeping and someone came in about five minutes.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank soapnet
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I’m so glad to hear that you and your extended family had a great stay with us and that the service was great. My apologies for the housekeeping issue you had but I’m very happy to hear that they came within five minutes of your call and the issue was taken care of. We thank you for your business and hope that you stay with us in the future.

Best Regards
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed in a studio my wife and I and it was a perfect size for us... The amenities were more than expected.. The restaurant had good Bar B Que but not much else and very high priced.. The prices at the General Store in Main Building were quite ridiculous... We enjoyed some of the activities and took in some local attractions.. Looking forward to trying out another stay or two at Westgate before seriously considering buying a timeshare...

Room Tip: Choose a room on the level with the parking lot to avoid climbing stairs...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine W
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It’s very nice to hear that you enjoyed your first stay with us. As you stay with us again to see if you are interested in purchasing, please let me know if I can be of any service to you.

Naples, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We arrived here 06/30/12, we are not suppose to leave till 07/07/12, and here we are writing this review, on the day of our arrival we were tire from so much driving the last thing we wanted to do is stand on a very long line to check in , it took one hour on this very warm lobby seem to be without air conditioner, the people that work here had a small fan pointed at them, that day the temperature was 105. When the concierge open our room the room smelled horrible, the rug had stains everywhere, we took our shoes off and our socks turned black in the bottom the dirt imbedded in the rugs, rugs show severe ware and rips, bathroom vanity cabinet side wood front toe kick and base board are swollen and coming apart the wall texture under AC vent in bathroom is ripped and pulling away from wall they are very poorly maintained, the ceiling,walls are paper thin you can here every move they make above/around everything from the walking to toilets being flushed to water draining in between the walls From showers to toilets, pools TOO small and always over crowded, The Smoke house Restaurant extremely expensive for the quality of service a 16" pizza special $27 and took 45 minutes to an hour with 4 employees multitasking numerous jobs and tables from taking care of bar to bringing food to tables and taking phone orders. However the Selling Staff,Concierge managent waste no time to show you all the opportunities WHY you should become an OWNER instead of listening to the obious issues that are being pointed out to them. The famous inside water park I found to be great for kids however the main attraction for adults was the Spa and pool that are small for big crowds, Game room very few game machines and more then half of the machines are out of order with signs, VERY FAR FROM A PREMIER or FIVE STAR RESORT. I would never recommend this to anyone

5 Thank Roberto R
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. My sincere apologies for the housekeeping issues you experienced in your unit. Although we constantly strive for perfection, it appears that we missed the mark with your unit. I will pass this information to our Housekeeping Manager. I will honestly tell you that what you experienced is not what the overwhelming majority of the owners and guests experience while staying on property. I do wish I had gotten involved with your situation so that I could have taken action and made things right. We thank you for your business and do hope that you will stay with us in the future.