“Great time in the Smokies”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I have owned here for several years and love it more every time. Perfectly situated between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg but out of all of the business to be quiet. Lots to do and it's convenient to get everywhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us that you have owned here for several years and that you continue to love it here more every time. We thank you for your business and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

This is a timeshare resort. Our three adjoining units were clean, well furnished and very comfortable. The resort is built up the side of the mountain and could be difficult for people with difficulty getting around but for us it was terrific. They have constant shuttles going up and down the mountain so you don't have to use your car unless you are leaving the grounds. The Gatlinburg shuttle is onsite and is a great idea so you can avoid the parking problems in the city. There are lots of activities for adults and children if you wish to take advantage of them and the staff is friendly and accessible. The water park is included in the price IF you are an owner or rent from an owner so I would suggest looking at renting from an owner rather than a public site. My kids/grandkids loved the outdoor pools, water park and accessibility to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and the mountain drives. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you aren't an owner rent from one (ebay, craig's list, timeshare rental websites) rather...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I always love to hear that the kids enjoyed a lot of the activities and that they loved the water park. It’s also wonderful that you indicated that “ we will be back.” We look forward to your return. We thank you for your business. If I can be of any service to you, please contact me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed over july 2,3. Very pretty resort and the staff were the best. If we needed linen,towels, ect they were to our room within 10min. Had three teenagers with me and they really enjoyed the hotel! Would definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Vprise

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your 2 day stay with us. It’s very nice to hear that you thought our staff was the best! I’m also glad to hear that you would definitely return again. We thank you for your business and look forward to you return.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

As many people note, the one hour check-in can put you in a sour frame of mind, especially on a hot summer day. Our room was downright filthy and my wife mopped the floor because everyone's feet were becoming blackened as we walked around. I texted our concierge about the problem and she was responsive, the next day there were people at our door to clean, my wife says they actually mopped twice (the water was still black after the first-remop) and ended up telling us to stay away while they cleaned the carpets with some noxious chemicals. She said the manager got involved and called the cleaning crew to show them the black mop water. They were done by the evening when we returned. I felt like this would have been an opportunity for management to make a gesture of some sort for making us clean our own room the first night and then kicking us out while they did it the next day... I've never stayed anywhere that would do such a thing. We rented the room with no obligatory timeshare sales pitch, but our concierge talked us into one after we arrived - we canceled it after the experience with the poor cleanliness. There was also no coffee pot for the coffee maker, and the room service food we ordered was delivered a half hour later than they said to expect it. The pool was crowded, heavily chlorinated and there was significant sediment on the bottom. These might have been things we would dismiss had it not been for the whole room cleaning experience. I cannot recommend this place.

3  Thank Brad J

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. My sincere apologies to you and your family regarding the housekeeping issues you found in your room upon checkin. I understand your disappointment regarding “ the whole room cleaning experience” I am disappointed as well. I will tell you, had this situation been brought to my attention, I would certainly go out of my way to make it right by you and your family. Moreover, if you were to email me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com, we can discuss what I could do to make things right by you. We thank you for your business and do hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My family and I spent a week at Westgate Resorts and had a great time. We found that there were days we just stayed at the resort at the pool or the indoor water park (kids favorite)! There are lots of activities offered and basically anything you could need is right there. Everyone was friendly and very responsive when ever we need extra supplies, etc. The grounds are very well kept, I love all the flowers! My only recommendation might be to update some of the furniture. The unit we stayed in had the same furniture from 11 years ago when we stayed there for the first time ever. Overall, we had a fabulous time and I highly recommend this resort to any one looking for a great place to stay!!

• Stayed: June 2012
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay at our property. I am disappointed that our property design and decor did not meet your expectations. We have lot of enhancement and upgrades in the works. We are glad you enjoyed the beauty of our hotel and amenities. Please come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

First time (and last) staying there.
Pros: great location, right near Gatlinburg and Smokeys, pretty surroundings and cabins look nice from outside.
Cons: line at reception, aquapark not included in price (was a surprise to us), cabin/room interior was not great (definitely not up to its price), rooms are not cleaned daily (you have to ask for more towels, so it's like a 2-star hotel basically), checkout is at 10:00am and they take your parking pass, so you can't even go to the pool to spend time before departure (like at any prudent hotel). We did not get pulled in to the whole time share discussions, which was good at least.
Verdict: come here if you like time share and staying in a place for over a week, do not come here if you want a worthwhile stay of 2-4 days and normal services you expect of a 4-star hotel.

1  Thank AlexanderT14

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are indeed a timeshare property. Like all other timeshare properties, we also have a rental component to the property. I think many of our very satisfied guests would disagree with you regarding your recommendation for the length of stay. We do have many happy guests who stay with us for one or two nights or even for a week. Many comments on this site will testify to that. We thank you for your business and wish you the best with your accommodation search the next time you are in the Gatlinburg area.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Traveled here with my father and son. My father owns a timeshare here for 9 years. The unit overall is nice but can tell that the paint and some other finishes need to be touched up. A giant picture of the owner with Dolly Parton greets you everytime you enter the room - guess he has a big ego? They have continued to add units to the location but the pools, parking, etc do not seem to keep up with the increased number of people. The indoor water park is nice but it is small. Location is nice being inbetween Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Shuttle service, both those which take you into the towns for a small fee and the resorts that help you get around the very hilly environment, are nice to have. Staff is always visible but seems like there is always laundry or bagged trash sitting on the sidewalks waiting to be picked up. Everything is furnished for you including some cleaning supplies (dish detergent, dishwasher detergent, trash bags, etc) and everything worked fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. With close to 800 units at this property, we are constantly upgrading the interior finishes such as paint, wallpaper, carpet, etc. We are very aggressive regarding this program which is on-going throughout all twelve months of the year. For your information, our water park is 60,000 square feet. When it was built a few years ago, it was one of the largest water parks in the south. Also, for your information, we have several trucks constantly touring the property daily to pick up trash and linen from units that are being cleaned from guests who have checked out that day. With the property being spread out over 55 acres, we still make these pickups quite frequently. Thanks for the input and thanks for your business. We hope to see you again.