“Get what u pay for” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
VA
“Get what u pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Rooms are old, the beds were very worn out, the Free WI-FI did not work even after asking for help twice (had a laptop and 3 smart phones - non worked). The breakfast was bad and ants all over a table - in the WINTER! Would NEVER stay again.

Room Tip: Go some where else and pay more -- it will be worth it!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mcsargewife
General_Manager_740, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Thank you visiting this property and writing a review. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced on your trip and hope the staff helped while you were here to make it better. The Wi-Fi is hard to come by because of our location, again i apologize for this inconvenience. We have on going remodeling and are looking forward to all of our 82 rooms to be completed in the near future. We hope you come back and see the improvements we have made.

Mike Patel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Hilliard, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

the motel was ok for th money, however the pictures online were very misleading. It was very nice looking online but not so much in person. It lists aquarium in the title so I assumed it was close to the aquarium NOPE not even close. Needs updated very badly. Beds were very uncomfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
General_Manager_740, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
We would first like to thank you so much for writing a review for us. We understand that your stay was not a pleasant one. Here at our hotel we have many types of room. We have King Themed room, King with fire places, Standard two Queen room, Two Queens with fire places, Standard Kings, Two bed room apartments and as well as Two Queens with kitchenettes in them. We have been doing some remodeling and hope to be done with all the room but this summer.

We do have Aquarium in our name and we are not but a 2 block walk for here to there. Which takes less then 7 min to walk there. All of Gatlinburg is about 1.5 miles long. And there is a trolly stop down by the main road that would take you right to the Aquarium for 50 cents a person.

Again thank you for your review and I hope that if you do come back to Gatlinburg that you would reconsider staying with us again.

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

I booked this room through the Red Roof website at the last minute. Almost all of Gatlinburg was either sold out or over priced due to the Friday night Christmas Parade and other special events in the area. This hotel was about half the cost of similar properties a bit further downtown.

After booking, I read the last couple of reviews and was a bit hesitant, but there had been a lot of positive reviews as well. I travel a lot and use tripadvisor to learn about most of the places I stay. I have learned that some people are just hard to please, and expect Ritz Carlton amenities at Motel Six prices (and I love both of those properties for different reasons).

This property is a bit farther from the main strip than I usually stay, but still a very comfortable walk to see all of Gatlinburg. I was here mostly to visit Dollywood's Christmas festival and to see a couple of shows in Pigeon Forge, and this hotel is very convenient since you can go to Pigeon Forge without fighting the Gatlinburg traffic (I like staying in Gatlinburg more than PF).

Check in was very smooth, took just a couple of minutes. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and spacious. I stayed in a theme suite (Africa) and there were all sorts of artifacts that made the room look like a safari camp, including old trunks, radios, telephones, lamps and a desk with an old woodstock manual typewriter. There were water buffalo and antelope horns on the wall along with a lot of african themed artwork and photography. More modern amenities included a flatscreen TV, fireplace, large jacuzzi tub, king bed and balconies that stretched along two sides of the suite (one overlooking the river).

Internet access was good. Often in Gburg (I have stayed at many of the hotels), wireless is tough due to the hills and trees, but I had no problems here. Perhaps because I had a room near the street. the free breakfast was limited but quite good. As good or better than most similar priced hotels in the area. They had biscuits and gravy, teddy bear waffles, toast and bagels, cold cereal, milk, apple juice, orange juice, oranges and apples. I usually don't eat the free breakfast (since I like to go out for breakfast) but I was in a hurry and what they offered was a good alternative.

There is plenty of parking, but be sure to ask the desk staff where to park given your room assignment. There are 3 different locations. Not a four star hotel, but then, you are not paying for one. But a clean, spacious, comfortable place to stay with a lot of amenties for the money. This was my first stay, but I will definitely stay here again.

Rick

Room Tip: The suites provide a lot of room, a fireplace, jacuzzi, fridge, wetbar, and microwave and are just a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank RUtraveller
General_Manager_740, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
I'm so excited to hear that you had a memorable stay at the Red Roof, Aquarium. we are a little walk away from the "main drag" but a very comfortable and quick one. We are conveniently located at the beginning of Gatlinburg, which makes it very easy to access the "spur" from Gatlinburg to Pigeon Forge in a very short time. Our theme rooms are very spacious and have modern amenity's. We have 6 different themed rooms, on your next trip you can stay in a different theme with completely different decorations and interior design! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Smokey Mountains!

Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

The rooms were clean but that is the only nice thing I can say for it. The rooms were outdated and smelled like a nursing home. It was also very far away from the attractions of Gatlinburg and nowhere NEAR the Aquarium. Will not be staying here again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
General_Manager_740, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Thank you for this review. We our in the process of remodeling each room we have here. thank you for the positive of the cleanliness, we take pride in each room we clean. we are hoping for all the remodeling to be done by the summer of 2012. I encourage you to come back and see what progress we have made. Also we are 0.4 miles from the Aquarium which adds up to a six minute walk to the "main streets" of Gatlinburg.
Again thank you for your review!

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

If you want a Hotel that has great breakfast and other amenities, Don't book this one. Don't miss understand, the room was clean and had no bed bugs,(a friend of mine is a exterminator for hotels with bed bugs. He showed us what to look for.) and the staff was friendly. But it had nothing else to recommend it. There was a noise in our room, like a humming sound from old pipes or something, that was hard to sleep at night.

The Breakfast was not good at all. They really cheat you about breakfast if staying for the weekend, all they offer was hard biscuits and canned gravy in a crock pot that was tasteless and make your own waffles with juice or cereal.

Free Wi-fi was a joke because it didn't work at all. I couldn't get a signal but maybe the Mountains are to blame and not just the hotel.

It was kinda close to all attractions, if you don't mind walking to get where you have to go. its about a half mile to the major places. On the positive side it looked like all the rooms had balconies that looked to the mountains.
This would not be my first choice if I returned to Gatlinburg.

2 Thank K_s0024
General_Manager_740, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry you were unsatisfied with our amenities. Our rooms offer fireplaces, jacuzzi's ,balconies, refrigerators, microwaves, WI-Fi and free breakfast. Our breakfast on the weekends consist of, freshly baked Pillsbury biscuit's and freshly made gravy. I apologize that you did not enjoy the complimentary breakfast. We do have free WI-FI and like you stated the mountains and us being surrounded by trees, the signal is hard to come by at times. We are a seven minute walk from the "main drag" and Gatlinburg is only a mile and a half long strip with many attractions to keep you busy on both sides of the street. There is also a trolly that will take you from Sevierville, to Pigeon Forge, and to Gatlinburg at .50 cents a rider, you may also buy an all day pass for $2.00 at the aquarium. The trolly also picks you up right in front of our hotel.
It is my hope that you visit us again on your next vacation and again thank you for the review.
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I will get right to it on my stay here...I booked the stay by calling this hotel and everything was a breeze. The young lady that works the late shift was very helpful and answered all my questions. I wanted to spend Veteran's Day in the area, as a Veteran and chose this hotel due to the fact that it is pet friendly.

We arrived Thursday evening and check-in was basically effortless. The desk staff was very friendly and greeted us with a smile. We were given a third floor room that faced the back parking lot.

Upon getting to the room we checked all the necessary places, the bathroom and the bed, for cleanliness and found them to be spotless. What more could you ask for? Clean rooms and friendly staff are a must at any place I stay!!

The exterior of the hotel is nice and the property itself is on a "hill" sort of in the woods. The entrance to the property is at light #2 right at the end of the Comfort Inn property. When leaving the property light #2 is an issue as it is a caution type light and you have to wait for the kindess of other visitors to the area in order to get out and proceed to your destination for your daily plans. The city sure needs to take a look at this as it is hard to get out on to the main road sometimes.

I did have my pug with me during the stay and this was not a problem. The room, if used as a pet room, did not have any unusal smells and I did walk around at night in my socks while in the room and they remained white. The beds in the room where the only issue that I had as the room that I was in, Room 309, the beds were like sleeping on a concrete slab. I did talk to the staff at this Red Roof and apparently there is new owners of the property that are working on renovations for the rooms that include new beds and fresh paint!! I hope to find out when this happens as I would like to stay here again when I can also enjoy a comfortable nights sleep.

I WOULD recommend this place to anybody that wanted to stay in this area!! If you have pets that travel with you then it is a must!! I give the place a 4 out of 5 only due to the fact that the beds that were in the room that I had were, as I described before, like sleeping on concrete slabs!! If not for the beds I would have given it a 5. Some of you may like sleeping that way but if not be sure to take an egg crate or something!!

I must mention the black bear sighting we had while staying here. It was Veteran's Day and on the main road, right across from the entrance, a black bear was trying to cross the road and head towards the property. Traffic was very heavy so he decided to wait and headed back up in the woods. When talking to the staff at the Red Roof they stated that it was no doubt the same bear that they see in the morning that lives up in the woods behind the property of the Red Roof. They said that he comes out in the mornings and peeks in the door at them as if to say hello and then proceeds to walk down the road and across the main road in Gatlinburg and up in the woods where I seen him at. I did not get to see the bear in the early morning as the staff claims but if what they say is the case then that would be rather neat to see!

1 Thank kycop604
General_Manager_740, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. First off, I am very excited to hear you had a great vacation and a pleasant stay at my property. Secondly, i would like to apologize for the uncomfortable mattresses that were in your room. For the past month i have been in the process of selecting new mattresses, box springs, linens and pillows. We will be getting all our new products set up in the hotel over the next month. I am looking forward to you and your family returning to try out the new beds!
See you next vacation!

Fairborn, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

This was not the first hotel we chose in the area but it was by far the best! We left the other hotel because it was dirty and the staff was rude so at 11:30 at night we began searching for somewhere else to stay, am I glad we chose here! The desk clerk could't have treated me better if I were family. She let me check the room first and it was amazinly beautiful AND CLEAN!! She told me where to park in the back (my room was on the 4th floor and the rear parking lot adjoins the fourth floor since it is on a hill) and brought the luggage cart up for us meeting us at the walkway! (Since it was pouring the rain I thought that was incredibly nice). She gave us extra towels (we needed them since our feet were filthy from the other hotel). The room was beautifully decorated, has a jacuzzi tub, has a gas fireplace, a private wrap around balcony a mini refridgerator, microwave, coffee maker and sink in kitchen area of room and safe, iron and ironing board in the closet area. The bed was not a standard hotel bed boxed in at the bottom but a real king-sized bed with ornately carved posters. The mattress was so comfy we fell asleep almost immediately after our baths. My 1 year old grandson loved the jacuzzi and rolled around on the floor after his bath (amazinly he was still clean, which would never have happened at the other hotel). The landscaping and fall colors around the hotel were an added bonus as was the continental breakfast (only wish they had some form of protein on it such as boiled or scrambled eggs, but still very acceptable as they had fruit,cereal, bagels and cream cheese and more). The staff were extra friendly and nice. Although it was raining and had turned chilly the pool was still lit and had not been drained yet making the area look pretty at night.I will definitely stay here again due to the extra effort of the young lady who checked me in (she also extended my check out time due to how late it was when we checked in)! Oh, apparently they have several "themed" rooms like the Egyptian suite, the Safari suite, the Fitzgerald suite and the Honeymoon suite they are all very nice looking rooms!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Fitzgerald and it was definitely nice! King-size bed, jacuzzi and fireplace!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Monica T
General_Manager_740, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this lengthy review for us on TripAdvisor, it is greatly appreciated. We are very pleased to hear that your stay here at this property was a great one. Every carpet is shampooed weekly to insure cleanliness, and our pet rooms, every day! The cleanliness of our rooms can only be matched by the friendliness of the front desk staff we have here. Each one of our employees work their hardest to insure your complete satisfaction and comfort. we look forward to seeing you and your family on your next vacation, and hope to help make the next one a great one as well.